Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Aug 12, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Brixton BID is not a "personal belief". It's a tax on small businesses. That is what we're (trying) to discuss, but you only seem interested in trying to reduce it down to some nonsense about me not being a fan of cocktail bars. Why, exactly?

DietCokeGirl likes this.
  2. discobastard

discobastard Well-Known Member

Why have you banned Mr Retro? You have been abusive twice in a row after simple questions. We should get a mod to review this.

teuchter and alcopop like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What the fuck are you on about now? But well done, one interesting Brixton thread duly disrupted with personal shit.

4. discobastard

OK. So do you feel that *all* businesses, irrespective of their type, should be exempt from this fee? Yes or no.

5. discobastard

A very clear response to your previous post. My stance on it being personal was noted clearly above. Which included what I thought were very complimentary thoughts about what you do.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've made my opinions and thoughts about the BID very clear throughout this thread. Please read it if you want this discussion to continue.

7. discobastard

Yes or no.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Seeing as you can't be bothered to read the thread and are trying to go all Paxman on me, I'll have one last go before giving up talking to you.

BIDS may work in some towns, but I've held deep concerns about their undemocratic not convinced by the Brixton one. I have stated this from the staRT

Gramsci worded the local concerns about the BID back in 2013 very well. His interactions with local shopkeepers were consistent with mine.
    TruXta added a useful post from another BID:
    And I agree with his post here:

I posted my own concerns here: Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

And I stand by what I said here: Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton? and here Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

And here's one local shopkeeper's response: Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

I could go on, but I'll probably just get a daft reply and this thread has already been derailed enough to make the last couple of pages worthless.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

Brixton Bid do some good stuff according to their website

10. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

As much as I support small business they aren't that good at campaigning.

Most of them I know know are sole traders. They complain to me but aren't good at pushing campaign to vote no for BID.

I think what people forget is that a BID includes all those who pay business rates. Includes MET cop shop in Brixton road.

11. Gramsci

I do know about Brixton BID. As I talk to local small business I know. Business I have used for number of years. I have also met Brixton BID director at local community meetings.

I'm surprised as you being involved in business they you don't know much about Brixton BID.

editor likes this.
  12. discobastard

I acknowledge all of these concerns. I've already made clear how I think that the stats don't add up. All I asked was whether you feel it was unfair for *all* businesses, including those that get maligned on this thread. It's not complicated.

13. Gramsci

Please give examples.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

FFS: what point are you trying to achieve here? I have deep concerns about the BID in Brixton in general and I've detailed many of them here. In some detail. That's it.

Hundreds of businesses are affected by it. Some have voiced concerns, others haven't. Some support it, some don't. Trying to split up the businesses along a bizarre narrative of whether they're universally liked or not by me or anyone else is completely irrelevant.

15. Gramsci

So do you think hard pressed sole traders paying an extra fee on top of business rates for this BID concept is good idea?

editor likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've booted him off the thread for 7 days because he was acting like dick, but I'll take his ban down to one day so he can answer your points later.

Gramsci likes this.
  17. Gramsci

Well sole traders I know don't see why they should pay estra for policing and street cleaning through Brixton BID when they already pay for this in business rates.

They have enough problems keeping afloat anyway.

I don't think some people realise for a lot of small shopkeepers breaking even and going under is fact of life.

Perhaps they should try harder. Make "sandwiches".

editor likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Which is exactly my problem with this.

The notion of the BID funding and having a say where extra police officers get allocated also makes me feel very uneasy.

shakespearegirl and Gramsci like this.
  19. ricbake

ricbake working out how

I bet even you do good stuff according to your own website....

Tricky Skills, editor and Gramsci like this.
  20. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I agree, business rates are already being paid and should be set at a level that covers the services they provide. If businesses want to chip in to pay for additional security, cleaning, toilets, advertising, that’s fine. But it should be voluntary and transparent, not compulsory because a ./. Voted for it. That said, business owners however big or small shouldn’t be ignoring communications from Lambeth or Lambeth will get these kind of schemes through. Now is their opportunity to kick the BID out and only they can do it

Mr Retro likes this.
  21. Southlondon

Southlondon The river's there for a reason

There’s a BID running in Vauxhall which after initial resistance from a minority of businesses has proved to be quite popular. The income from business rates doesn’t go to the council but into central government. Some of that is returned to the council and is a component of their austerity reduced income. The BID money faiswd from businesses with a rateable value above £8000 are kept locally for the businesses to spend as they see fit. In Vauxhall they pay for extra street cleaning which makes a big difference at weekends after the clubbers have left the area strewn with vomit, drugs paraphernalia, and the usual litter generated by the night time economy. As well as things like hanging baskets pavement flushings and extra litter bins, the BID have paid for and promoted community events like the open air cinema in the summer and an ice rink in winter, which attract huge numbers of visitors into the BID area. Businesses including the ones too small to pay into the BID benefit from extra customers, and these events provide some compensation for the local community. I appreciate the fact that I can walk up to Vauxhall’s shops on a Sunday morning without playing hopscotch along the pavement trying to dodge vomit, shit and nitrogen canisters. Of course small businesses are suffering with buisness rates, but I believe that’s the issue that should be looked at which is a central government issue not local council. Local austerity means the council are struggling to maintain core services and street cleaning and buisness peomotion has suffered. So if local buisnesses vote to pay a levy to fund their local priorities then why shouldn’t they.? People on my estate have to put up with the inconvenience of having a local night time economy, so the BID If well managed benfits is as well as the buisness owners.

alcopop likes this.
  22. shakespearegirl

Don't disagree with anything you are saying.

If businesses want to chip in and pay for additional services, then they should be able to do so. The complaints here were that a substantial number of the businesses weren't aware of the scheme, didn't understand that payments would be compulsory or aren't happy with the way it is being run and feel that certain businesses are being prioritised. Now that there is an opportunity to vote again on something that they have a clearer understanding of, they shouldn't waste that opportunity.

I think people in the Brixton community are very cynical of Lambeth local government and most things they do.

The relentless promotion of a 'nighttime economy' without any additional provision to manage it or the mess it leaves behind is a major issue.

alcopop likes this.
  23. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

eh...:confused:

24. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Look, can everyone stop disrupting this discussion by taking part in the discussion please? It's very hard to get anywhere if everything keeps getting messed up by too many people's different opinions. Thanks.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But at least we got some 'please don't urinate here' posters! Brixton stinks at night with piss. Instead of wasting money with pointless and oblique flapping banners, the BID could have at least hired in some portable loos.

shakespearegirl likes this.
  26. shakespearegirl

That’s exactly what I said earlier in the thread -
    Obvs can’t find it now!!

editor likes this.
  27. discobastard

Perhaps it is worth approaching the BID and asking whether portaloos is a possibility. It sounds like a very sensible idea to me, and a good use of subscriber cash.

Completely agree that posters is a pretty weak approach.

Worth compiling a list of practical solutions to some of the problems. I’m sure many businesses would be happy to be involved.

Southlondon likes this.
  28. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

What about pop up urinals ?

Toilets are popping up on city streets at night | CityMetric

Alex

29. discobastard

Decent idea but very expensive. Thought there was one in Brixton at some point? Expensive to maintain.

The alternative is to introduce something that makes it socially unacceptable and raises awareness. Rather than saying ‘go before you go’, which is kind of meaningless, you put up posters of people caught in the act. Same as they’ve done with people texting while driving.

If you want to change behaviour you need to make it personal.

And that’s something the community can do.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They would be seriously lacking in their duties if they weren't already fully aware of the problem:
    And there's a 160 post thread here: Petition launched to provide more public toilets in Brixton

We've already got one. Problem is that it hardly ever pops up (and it's in a ridiculously exposed position).