Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Aug 12, 2012.

1. ricbake

ricbake working out how

2. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

In this case the local businesses will be able to get rid of them this October won’t they? Now that they are all aware of the vote coming up. Or am I missing something?

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What makes you think "they're all aware of the vote"? Small businesses tend to be distracted by the everyday struggle to keep going and those pointless banners aren't particularly useful or informative.

I very much doubt they'll get anywhere near a 100% response but - hey - you seem to know better so let's see how the figures look after the vote.

4. Mr Retro

If they were not aware of the first vote they will surely be aware of the second given they are paying for an unwanted service that they can get rid of?

alcopop likes this.
  5. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

The payment of the BID levy over the last 3 years should have made local businesses very aware of the group and it’s upcoming re-vote

6. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Can’t argue with the logic of that

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well, let's see if that sunny outlook translates to a hugely impressive turn out for the vote.

I take it you're all for the concept of BIDs?

8. discobastard

discobastard ____*\(oo)/*____

Are you including the cocktail bars and posh chicken shops/burger bars in that definition of small businesses? Just for clarity.

Be interesting to know the businesses that *did* respond to the survey ricbake quoted.

Don't have the info available but it seems like the 83% based on ricbake 's figures is very wrong (if the majority was only 59%). In which event there is a very real case to take them to task over their figures.

When producing research reports, any organisation that does not include the proportion of 'don't know' or 'not answered' responses is being deceptive.

I.e. they are either deceiving themselves (which is not unusual) or they are deliberately trying to deceive the audience).

9. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I don’t think that’s a very fair comment.

I can see how a small biz would overlook it the first time and get shafted into paying it. However, now Is the opportunity to do something about it.

discobastard and alcopop like this.
  10. Mr Retro

Of course it should. I don’t know anything much about the BID’s but I know if it’s as unpopular in Brixton as is being made out then it will be gone by this November. Job done.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is particularly stupid question, no doubt loaded with some really fucking tedious attempt to score some points.

As I would have thought most people already know, the criteria for paying the BID is the same for any business, whether they be a trendy cocktail bar or supermarket:
    Just for clarity, can you explain why you've singled out "cocktail bars and posh chicken shops/burger bars" as it seems to be a particularly odd thing to bring up.

12. Mr Retro

On what do you base that assumption please?

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Who said it was unpopular with all businesses? Can you find the quote to support that claim? Thanks.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

See this thing - ?

It's a question. Simple yes or no will suffice. Thanks.

15. discobastard

I think it's perfectly fair given the general bad feeling here about those kind of businesses. You talk about high prices in these places and 'profit', but actually for any small business it is tough.

I don't need to score points, I am just trying to clarify whether your sympathy for these small businesses extends to the cocktail bars and 'foodie' places that tend to be despised here. I.e. is it a level playing field. Don't take it personally.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's the feeblest excuse for an explanation I've seen in a long time. What I think about cocktail bars is completely and totally irrelevant to the debate about BIDs. It's just you trying to make it personal. Again.

Oh, and there's plenty of support for cocktail bars and 'foodie' places here, as well you know.

:rolleyes:

17. Mr Retro

Ah! This childish playground style of debate for which you are well known.
    I wasn’t looking for an argument when I asked the first question but as you are desperate for one I’ll bow out and leave to your usual style of “debate”.

alcopop likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What is 'childish' about asking you to support your own claim? I guess you can't do that, so see ya.

19. Mr Retro

What claim was this?

20. discobastard

OK. If you want to discuss the 'personal' issue then you can again (as I've said before), take me at my word that I think you do great things, and that I have nothing against you. I have great admiration for many of the issues that you raise. I can't argue fairer than that.

Fuck that nonsense about support for cocktail bars and foodie places. I know you don't support them. I support some diversity, and I don't like to see small independent businesses struggling. But *some* diversity is good. We have that in Tulse Hill without it being a hipster takeover.

It's perfectly reasonable to ask whether your problem with the BID levy extends to those new businesses that some people seem to hate. I.e. is it unfair to them as well. Because as you know, many of them are struggling too and some have gone out of business.

Not a difficult question to answer, nor is it irrelevant. Just clarity.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

:facepalm:

22. Mr Retro

Changed my mind. What did I claim that I can’t back up please?

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No, it is NOT reasonable to try and single out individual types of businesses and then try to frame any discussion around my personal opinion about them. It is totally fucking irrelevant to the issue of the Brixton BID which affects all businesses above a certain size.

discobastard likes this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh just fuck off you tedious troll.

25. Mr Retro

I’ve asked you to support your incorrect claim and you can’t so I’m a troll?

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Let me make your mind up for you: take a week off this thread,

27. discobastard

OK, why don't you just say then that it's unfair to any business.

I said in my first post on this that we don't know which type of business responded to the 2014 survey, and it would be interesting to know (implicitly) whether it was the 'profit guzzling' new businesses or not that favour the BID.

And it's not a personal opinion I'm attacking. I'm asking questions not supporting a particular cause. If you can't accept these questions when you are trying to present an argument then you're fucked.

Try and respond for a change by listening to the question rather than trying to make it personal or an attack. This forum is not all about you.

ETA: why not give me a week off too. Abusive language towards Mr Retro and any kind of disagreement evidently means a ban. Fuck's sake. Get a grip dude.

Mr Retro likes this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

When have I EVER argued that it was only unfair to some businesses?

Why do you keep trying to make the discussion revolve around my personal beliefs? Because that's all you've tried to do by bringing up fucking cocktail bars and trendy burger bars.

29. discobastard

If these discussions aren't about personal beliefs then why are we bothering.

30. discobastard

Please show me where i have argued that you think it is only unfair to some businesses.
    Thanks.