Wot No Great British Sewing Bee thread?

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by onenameshelley, Feb 2, 2015.

1. onenameshelley

onenameshelley is Major Morgan's bitch

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    madamv, trashpony, Saffy and 2 others like this.
  2. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

ms starfish is. Me I'm a bit meh about it.

onenameshelley likes this.
  3. onenameshelley

*Bump* Cos its on now!!!!!

Looby likes this.
  4. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

I get pangs watching it. I want to sew! I understand how people who can't bake or cook feel when they watch Bake Off or Master Chef.

5. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I want to go and make something immediately. I haven't made anything since the summer so hopefully this will give me the kick I need.

6. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

I need to learn how to make curtains cos I've loads of fabric and chuff all skill. And having been finishing off my wardrobe sort out while watching it I've realised I don't need any more work or hippy skirts!

7. onenameshelley

i have my material and pattern ready for Saturday AND NO ONE BETTER ASK ME TO DO ANYTHING ELSE!! :hmm:*disclaimer*

* i have to bath the dog and cut her hair but that's it!*

trashpony likes this.
  8. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

What are you going to make?

9. onenameshelley

An A line skirt apparently its only going to take me an hour, bullshit its going to take me and hour to build up to cutting it all out before reading the pattern 5 times, making 6 cups of tea, peeing millions of times, letting the dog in and out of the garden. And i need to go get some interfacing from Christchurch so that will mean i stray into waitrose before realising i lost half the day and panicking and stitching it together wonky:D( i am my own worst enemy) but i am going to try not to do this:thumbs:

Artaxerxes, campanula, madamv and 4 others like this.
  10. onenameshelley

I will post some photos up once i have made it :D i think its acceptable to post up anything inspired due to watching the show.

11. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

I love this and not only for Patrick, though I'm not sure about the moustache.

12. onenameshelley

Love sewing have a lovely wiggle skirt pattern this month and a pretty fat quarter with ideas for pattern weights or a pin cushion attached to your sewing machine.

13. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

I don't know any of their names yet but Mr Army Man is shit hot, isn't he? Blimey. That spotty dress was the dog's doodahs.

14. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

It was very well done but I bloody hate cut out dresses and it was weird with that fabric. I was really shocked it was garment of the week.
    I loved the young guy's dress, the blue one with all the gathering.
    I'm now searching for adjustable dressmakers dummies on eBay.

RubyToogood and onenameshelley like this.
  15. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I need a new pin cushion. I have a Cath Kidston owl one but it's too bloody hard to get the pins in so I don't bother and they end up all over my table.
    [​IMG]

madamv likes this.
  16. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

17. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

I'm doing a dressmaking course and we are all very excited about the Sewing Bee! Now I'm actually attempting to make something that fits me properly from a pattern, I have an appreciation of how good those Bee people are.

I think that woman with the short hair that did the poppy dress at the end is also a strong contender. I don't like cut out dresses either but it was very clever. Do they get to specify the podge on their model? If he'd had a chubby person that dress would have looked awful.

Loved the fabric that Mancs woman brought and Amanda's (? - the teacher wearing the horrible top)

zoooo, Greebo, madamv and 1 other person like this.
  18. onenameshelley

I am watching on catch up tonight as I got sucked into the darts. Will post some of the lush fabric I bought for skirts, later. Yay for sewing x

trashpony and madamv like this.
  19. madamv

madamv Oi! With the poodle already

Worm was out with her dad last night so I haven't watched yet... I'm home waiting for washing machine repair man so I'm very tempted to stick it on.

Praps I'll do the catch up show now to whet the appetite

I want to make some tops using a top my friend brought me from Cambodia as a template. It may inspire me to get some material this weekend. Although I've got a bloody cric in my neck and can't move. Bloody hairdressers

Looby and onenameshelley like this.
  20. zoooo

zoooo zero tolerance for walkers

I like the show but I'm still perplexed as to why they only ever sew clothing.
    Can't they do cushions/toys/bags/something else more interesting I can't think of once in a while?

21. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

is Biddlybee watching this? - I always think of her when I see an ad for the show

22. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Not being a telly watcher, this passed me by but I intend to do a spot of IPlayer catch-up. I have several sewing machines (although my beloved fiddleback Singer (1872) is my oldest and favourite) and yards and yards of hoarded material. Sewing went out of the window when, almost overnight, I lost interest in fashion, became a gardener and got old and stout...although knitting is a perennial favourite winter craft.
    I am not sure about the format of these things - a competition, with votes and such and I almost always become irritated by the presenters or usual media fools who front these things - I just hope to be inspired and learn a few tips and tricks.

OnenameShelley - when anyone promises that such and such a task will 'only take an hour' they are obviously using a different internal reference to me (and everyone else I know). Presumably, they are on 'media' time while us normal people are on sloth time or glacier speed.

Greebo and onenameshelley like this.
  23. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

Watched a bit of this last night and agreed with the mrs that the first challenge wasn't fair because it was more about ironing than sewing and the transformation challenge winner wasn't fair because she barely used any of the original garment. But it was quite enjoyable :)

Greebo likes this.
  24. onenameshelley

Dashed in and got my interfacing so NO excuses! Love the little sewing shop in christchurch. They had the poppy fabric in they have such lovely fabric. £15 later 2 metres of interfacing, 2 zips and 6 buttons for covering. :D

Greebo, Looby and campanula like this.
  25. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Is that the one at bargates that does the sewing classes too? I went over once but it was shut. Fabric land have got much better with their cotton fabrics recently so I've been going there but will try and get to christchurch to have a look.

Greebo and onenameshelley like this.
  26. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Yes, it's called the Little Sewing Company, really nice lady who runs it. I'm really missing the London markets though - I passed through Ridley Rd in Dalston last week and bought 4 x 6 yds of African fabric for £20.

So maybe we could do an urban sew-along?

27. onenameshelley

Ok so caught up my favs are deborah and the air hostess. Loved it. And even more massive phwooor for Patrick sans beard. Lush.

28. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Love this prog, It took me from putting art on t-shirts to buying a sewing machine with idea of making the t-shirts instead. Must get on with making my bomber jacket this weekend.

29. onenameshelley

I am procrastinating:facepalm:

Greebo and blairsh like this.
  30. onenameshelley

Don't like it blairish, I suck. So far I have done all my other chores including making a ham, I have eaten half a pack of polish Jaffa cakes and drunk two pints of tea but not one stitch has been sewn. or even cut anything out yet :mad:

Greebo likes this.