Worthing 0-1 Dulwich Hamlet, Woodside Road, 4 March 2017, 3pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Noss, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

Rather than hijack the supporters' coach thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

Is anyone thinking about going by train? If so, Blitzwalker and I are getting the train to Arundel (arrives 12.26) then jumping in a cab (approx. 9 miles) rather than endure the 50 minute replacement bus from Brighton. You are welcome to share the cab (if there's sufficient interest I'll order a people carrier).

Is there a designated pub of choice?

2. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Do you know what train you're getting back?

3. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

I reckon it's between the 18:54 and the 19:24 from Arundel. I'd be minded to get out of Worthing straight after the game (maybe have one in the clubhouse) and grab a beer or two in Arundel or even Amberley but I'm open to suggestions

4. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

Answering my own question, I've been advised of the following from the organiser of the Worthing Beer Festival:
    • Selden Arms (closest decent ale pub to ground, about a 15 min walk)
    • Castle (by station)
    • Wandering Goose (seafront)
    • Parsonage (West Worthing, 15 mins from ground)

5. StephenMac

I could be game if we were back in Arundel for the 18.12 (cheap ticket) and I need to get back.

6. editor

editor hiraethified

I'm off gigging, but would love it if someone could grab some snaps. :)

7. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

Yeah we can do that

StephenMac likes this.
  8. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I'm braving the replacement bus from Brighton - good excuse to stop off in the Evening Star on the way back! Just booked a 'reverse' super off peak day return from Worthing to Sydenham, which is £12 as opposed to £16 for the same journey going the other way.

I've been advised of three micropubs in Worthing by a friend who moved to live there late last year:

Brooksteed Ale House is helpfully just around the corner from the ground: CAMRA Surrey & Sussex Pub of the Year 2016 - Brooksteed Alehouse - Micropub in Worthing, Sussex

Green Man Ale & Cider House is in Tarring, around ten minutes walk west of the ground: Green Man Ale & Cider House, Worthing

Anchored In Worthing is on the seafront: anchoredinworthing.co.uk - Anchored in Worthing

I know two of them are in the 2017 CAMRA Good Beer Guide, from memory I think it's the first two. There are a few other entries in the guide for Worthing, but I don't have it with me right now. I know the Selden Arms is one - I've been there before and it was very good, but a bit of a trek in the opposite direction from the station. Another GBG entry is the local 'Spoons, which recently closed, so don't go there!

Map of Worthing woith Brooksteed Alehouse arrowed. The ground is in Woodside Road, a short distance to the west: Location Map.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    pompeydunc, joe1990 and AndyF like this.
  9. AndyF

AndyF DHFC Beer Aficionado

Have a great day one and all. I can't make it (invited to a beer launch then a team social in the evening) but hope to see you all on Tuesday. Look forward to beer reports!

10. StephenMac

Excellent. I'll be getting on the train at East Croydon so will see you on board or at Arundel.

11. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

I shall be in Belgium, but I shall raise a glass of Duvel to you all.

the 12th man and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  12. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Prefer Kwak myself.

darryl and AndyF like this.
  13. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Chimay!

darryl and AndyF like this.
  14. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Which one? I like the chocolate.

15. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Bleu!

AndyF likes this.
  16. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Stella

Ludo and the 12th man like this.
  17. Joe K

Joe K no al calcio con orchestra di ukulele

My local game, and one I'd been looking forward to, but I have to meet a friend who I couldn't meet up with otherwise in...London. Might be me done for this season, on a grand total of two games.

Heard very good things about the Brooksteed, by the way.

18. Joe K

Joe K no al calcio con orchestra di ukulele

I hate to be Doctor Disappointment, but the Star is closed for refurb until the middle of the month.

19. AndyF

Language dear boy, language.

20. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Fucking beer snobs.... ;)

21. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Worthing have been struggling recently, so should be a positive away day (hopefully)

22. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Still sorting out my route but might be up for the taxi share.

23. AndyF

Ahem...Mr Beer Snob to you...

24. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

Great. It's the 11:23 from East Croydon if that helps.

25. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

If you want to break up the replacement bus journey on way back, then there is a micropub in Shoreham near the station that's worth checking out - Old Star Ale & Cider House, Shoreham-by-Sea

Another cheap way of travelling is to get the Thameslink only fare from London or East Croydon for £10.40 (or £7ish for railcard holders), and then just get on the replacement bus or pay £4 for return Brighton-Worthing ticket.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  26. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

tmp_21072-DSC_3835-1099625961.JPG
    Pulled pork and chips. £3
    Taste good too!

27. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

With another win under the belts starting to believe there's a pattern emerging here. Every game that work has forced me to miss the Hamlet have WON. If you're interested I'm open to offers (cash only) to stay at home on Tuesday for the Macclesfield replay

AndyF likes this.
  28. editor

editor hiraethified

Great result!

29. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

30. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

Must admit to being stunned how badly Leiston have fallen away, just one point taken out of the last 21 on offer. Five straight defeats since we draw 2-2 up there.