Worst storms for 5000 years

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Batboy, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

My cousins grew up in a house that backed onto a train line. They didn't have a trampoline.

My back garden didn't back onto the train tracks, but the railway sidings were down a little gravel path in the front of our house. Still didn't have a trampoline.

I had one of them flimsy swings that would fall over if you swung too high. And swing ball. I had a swing ball set. But no trampoline.

Mab and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  2. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

They're a recent enough thing...becoming popular over the last10 to 12 years.
    The neighbour has one and it gets used by his son every day. His head appears
    over the wall and he looks into the kitchen and smiles and waves if I'm there.

He's 24.....

3. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

We had the red sun around lunchtime, and the red/orange/sepia light ... then showers, then sunshine and then mild and calm.
    For the past few (five) hours it has been blowing a right hoolie and raining. Hope the local trees are still the right way up by the time I get up in the morning !
    Keep safe, everybody !

4. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Don't tell Network Rail, you'll have to install backdated trampolines.

I'm not joking btw - look at your local railway line on Google Earth. I think they put them there to ward off rail disasters.

trampolines.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  5. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Got hit by a flying wine bottle earlier because idiots left their wheelie bins out in the street :mad:

6. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

They're pretty ubiquitous out in the suburbs. Big ones with netting round them to stop the kiddiewinks falling off.

7. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

In our little estate, every single house with kids has one.

Our kids spend hours on theirs and even if they are not bouncing on it they are sitting on it (with dry arses) rather than the grass (with wet ones).

8. petee

petee i'm spartacus

9. 2hats

2hats

Forecasting has always been part science, part art.
    Meteogroup were supposed to take over in spring. Then that got pushed to autumn, some time. Still no sign of a switch so clearly something is holding it up.
    The model physics improves rapidly. Plus better quality, more extensive data to initialise. More runs at higher resolution as compute power improves (ensembles). Increasingly pulls in the smaller scale fluctuations. The errors tend to be ones of timing which equates to geographical error since the systems move across the Earth’s surface. Nowcasting from the radar you have to bear in mind that the snapshot isn’t instantaneous but acquired over a couple of minutes and at multiple elevations which have to be blended into a representation of precipitation in the locality before further processing into the national composite (elimination of anaprop, radar errors, loss of signal due to heavy rainfall, ghost returns, calibration with rain gauges). Sometimes the cleaning unfortunately removes actual precipitation. Sometimes that precipitation is at altitude and evaporates before reaching the surface. Sometimes the false returns are missed. Then, of course, the rain fronts are moving and the rain cell resolution varies from 1-2-5km with distance from the radar facility (and consequently so does error).

10. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Looks like it was delayed again till next spring!

Hi! We will continue to supply weather services to the BBC under a new contract for a period of up to six months (until 31 March 2018 1/2.

— Met Office (@metoffice) October 6, 2017

2/2 at which time we expect Meteogroup to take over. Pls refer any further questions to the BBC, for comment/response. Many thanks ^Angie

— Met Office (@metoffice) October 6, 2017

NoXion likes this.
  11. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

mauvais likes this.
  12. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Tree down near Lockerbie. Apparently went thru virgin train window (unverified) so we* are sat here not moving while they decide what to do.

*passengers on Caledonian sleeper.

13. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Update. In juries inn Edinburgh with the sleeper train refugees. Luckily the storm is manifesting as unseasonably warm temps for being kicked off a train at 0348. Could have been pissing down and 5 degrees.

As it is it was 12 degrees at 2230 driving to the station and still very mild. No wind worth mentioning.

14. Lorca

Lorca Somebody after all, had to make a start

Its the Apocalypse - Twister spotted in London yesterday

[​IMG]

AverageJoe, Nylock, kebabking and 3 others like this.
  15. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

For a wind storm that was supposed to calm down some after midnight, it is still blowing the hoolie it was last night.
    My local recording station - reported hourly - has had steady mph of around 35 overnight (low at 0100 of 28mph) currently 37 mph, with peak gust of 57mph at 0300) and current peak gust of 55mph.
    It has rained overnight ... but the flow gauge on the river is actually declining from the peaks during the past week and over the weekend.

16. bubblesmcgrath

It has calmed down...relative to what we had barrelling through Ireland yesterday..
    We had 110km to 191km per hour....80km would have been relatively calm in comparison.

This morning here is bright, warm and not a puff of wind. Slept well and ready to go out and assess the mess that is the garden and road. Had a quick look at the roof yesterday and didnt spot any missing tiles...hope I'm right.

Hope everyone over there stays safe....and that Ophelia moves away quickly...:)

17. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

Apparently winds got up to 90mph here last night. Part of the roof blew off one of the hotels down the Promenade :eek: Still pretty gusty this morning. Hope it dies down later as I need to get somewhere on my bike

18. bubblesmcgrath

I have to say....the authorities here were extremely informative.
    Even president Michael D came on telly asking all of the population to stay indoors yesterday.

The emergency groups worked well together and there were updates on tv and radio all day...when Darwin hit a few years ago we didnt have this amount of direction and organisation.

The army was out ....people were told to go home and stay indoors...peoole walking the prom in Galway even when the wind was not strong, were told to go home and stay indoors til it was safe... The government and all security services took on all responsibility for everyone's safety for 24 hrs......unprecedented action as far as I can see.

krtek a houby and Artaxerxes like this.
  19. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

it came ......it went.....and all I saw was yellow......

I feel a tune coming on ....!

gentlegreen and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  20. bubblesmcgrath

.....You've been beaten to it...

21. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

heh .....quite.....topical vid ....eh?....wetter than I got on the beach.....

did anyone have a fine sand deposit on thier cars this morning ? almost like talc....

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  22. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Yup. My car is filthy

23. 2hats

2hats

*Coughs* (not due to dust, or attempting a party conference speech).

bubblesmcgrath and elbows like this.
  24. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

25. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

And that wasn't even the wind, the bin was trampolining! Whee what fun!

26. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Here comes Brian :-

expresshyperbole.jpg

farmerbarleymow and kebabking like this.
  27. 2hats

2hats

Recent runs of GFS/ECM have that weakening as it approaches the W/SW fringes of the UK/Ireland though it is still going to be windy particularly along coasts of Cornwall, SW Wales, the Channel. More wind for SW Ireland too. Plenty of rain Thursday night till Tuesday when a high building over much of continental Europe might start to deflect some of the incoming Atlantic storms (though with decreasing influence as one moves away from the SE to the W/NW).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  28. 2hats

2hats

It’s wheelie bin that bad?

29. bubblesmcgrath

gentlegreen likes this.
  30. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

bubblesmcgrath and gentlegreen like this.