Worst storms for 5000 years

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Batboy, Oct 25, 2013.

1. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Surf's up in Brittany :)

surfsup34.jpg

existentialist and Tankus like this.
  2. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  3. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

You need to put an anonymous note through the door, some people are so irresponsible :mad:
    Better still, tape the notes to a passing trampoline and point it in the path of their windows ..that'll teach 'em.

4. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

All this talk of trampolines. I've never seen a trampoline apart from at school. Who has trampolines? I had a space hopper as a kid. And a pogo ball. Do they count?

5. copliker

copliker ...

A fitting end for a life of blasphemy smirks the priest.

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. Vintage Paw

There's a rogue recycling box lid blowing around somewhere. I can hear it but I can't see it. It's not mine.

Libertad likes this.
  7. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

The best thing about this storm was walking out the front door at 7.30am to really odd coloured skies and a totally incongruous summer heat.

The second best thing was the red sun.

The rest has been a bit meh. Storm in a teacup. Overblown. Pick yer cliche.

Was expecting better/worse. But then I slept through the Oct 1987 hurricane so I’m no expert.

muscovyduck and Artaxerxes like this.
  8. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

The wind has calmed down now. :hmm:

9. Vintage Paw

I might have to pull my windows to if this keeps up.

Bingo and Libertad like this.
  10. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Touched lucky with the tide being out almost fully when the storm arrived

11. Vintage Paw

Number 3 has just picked his bin up. Number 11 is still playing fast and loose.

Voley, Libertad, gentlegreen and 2 others like this.
  12. bubblesmcgrath

Definitely.
    And there hasnt been lashings of rain....yet....either.
    The fact the storm shifted west this morning really turned this event from potentially catastrophic to very bad...but bad as it has been, there's no doubt that it could have been a lot worse.

13. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Yup. And the fact that the roads were basically empty cos of all the early warnings and the school/shop/workplace closures definitely kept the death and carnage to a minimum.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  14. farmerbarleymow

I could hear some stuff crashing down the street earlier when it was windier - bet it was some slatternly neighbours displaying unacceptable bin-negligence. :(

15. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

My next door neighbour has one ......

but don't worry ....I have it under surveillance .just in case

16. farmerbarleymow

Yuwipi Woman - you should write a blog about the obsessions Brits have about bins and trampolines in the face of impending doom. :cool:

17. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Delighted to hear things are well bubbles. Trust other Utbs are ok.

18. Vintage Paw

There's been a proper bluster the past half hour (you were right, 2hats). Still got my windows open, though. Might close the bedroom window to a touch, since it's got no catch and can swing open. Mind, the wind is blowing directly at it, so it'll probably just blow it to itself.

19. Tankus

20. 2hats

2hats

The mesoscale model was right. :p

21. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I do wonder about the BBC/met office models & forecasts sometimes - I subscribe to all the netweather stuff too and when I compare forecasts & model runs for the immediate 0-24 hrs for my particular location, its not that unusual for me to find notable differences. Sometimes it turns out the met office were factoring in some clever analysis on top of what the model said and were bang on, other times it just seemed like even I could guess in advance that they were going to be a little off the mark.

I wonder when it will be like when the BBC switch to the new weather provider, I have forgotten when that is due to happen.

I suppose when I think about it more none of this is surprising really because of the biggest thing I eventually learnt when I started paying attention to weather in terms of the various available computer model runs and some terminology. Which was that the various models, data, theory & analysis are very impressive these days, but I would never ever want the job of confidently predicting what the weather will be like at a very specific time and place. The weather is very personal to us all and when something doesn't happen right before our very eyes it can feel like a non-event. I had to stop looking at weather forums during favourite events of mine like thunderstorms and snow, because too many people were moaning too much about their location missing out on the fun again, with some taking it rather personally lol. Heck even nowcasting isn't always so easy, the number of times I've been looking at the high res rain radar thats updated every 5 minutes (with up to 10 minutes of lag), and still struggled to predict exact rain start or end timing for a very specific location is quite large. Depends on the type of weather system though, obviously some stuff is pretty easy to nearest & nowcast and even forecast in a pretty impressive way.

22. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

The working class. Like err chiminaes or duckhouses.

Also if your house backs onto a railway line, it's mandatory to have one.

scifisam and Plumdaff like this.
  23. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

DMNKBPvX0AEtPIl.jpg

24. farmerbarleymow

Please reply to her and tell her it is a legal obligation to own at least one trampoline. It's in the constitution. :D

25. mx wcfc

Oi. My house does not back onto a railway line but we had a trampoline when little miss mx was littler everyone round here used to have one when their kids were littler. We could see them from our loft conversion.

Lancman and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  26. Tankus

Need them for working out wind velocity in suburbia

27. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Alternative explanation: US had 'Duck and Cover', Ireland has 'Bounce For Your Lives!'.

28. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Someone I actually knew at work was on the local telly news when Nuneaton had a tornado ten years ago, and I believe a trampoline was involved, but I was away at the time and never got to see the clip - robbed!

29. mx wcfc

Take it that means you are OK Bubbles, - good to hear - trust other Urbs in Ireland are OK too. I mean, if someone still has internet access, what could possibly be wrong?

Vintage Paw and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  30. bubblesmcgrath

I have no electricity...no light...but I have mobile wifi ....and chocolate

:D

muscovyduck, Tankus, LiamO and 12 others like this.