1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst storms for 5000 years

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Batboy, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Batboy

Batboy Trumpeting is good for you...

Apparently we are going into a weather meltdown from Sunday/Monday with the worse storms since whenever according to Daily Express... I'm building me ark as we speak....

shagnasty and taffboy gwyrdd like this.
  2. Batboy

Batboy Trumpeting is good for you...

Forecaster Nicky Maxey said it is unusual for the Met Office to issue warnings this far in advance but people, particularly in the south, need to be prepared for power cuts and travel chaos.

'There is even a risk of power lines coming down,' she added.

'People should take more care when making journeys, particularly if they are driving high-sided vehicles.

'Some parts of the country could see surface area flooding. And those parts that have already had a fair bit of rain in the last few days should be prepared for worse flooding,' she said.

She added that forecasters are currently monitoring the storm as it develops over the Atlantic but until it gets closer we won't know the full scale of it's strength.

'If it suddenly changes track it could miss us altogether and hit France. But if it hits us it will the worst storm for we've seen for many years,' she added.

3. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Once again I'm glad I live on the top of a hill!

Glitter and SpookyFrank like this.
  4. tombowler

tombowler still missing the point

I was worried then I saw it was in the express, well known for printing highly inaccurate weather scare stories, is there a better source for this incoming doom ?

fogbat and Nylock like this.
  5. Leafster

Leafster Nurturing green fingers

I live at the top of a hill too but we have large mature trees close to the building and the road down to the main road is lined with them. :hmm:

6. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Should we start panic buying?

7. Leafster

Definitely time to stock up on canoes and chainsaws I reckon.

8. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

You haven't already?? I think you've left it too late...

9. Barking_Mad

Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus

Fucking southerners. Bit of wind and rain and they're all frightened about their brollies blowing inside out. ;)

10. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I've just panic bought a train ticket instead of a coach ticket and have probably wasted an extra £30

11. classicdish

classicdish Well-Known Member

12. Leafster

That evening, the worst storm to hit South East England since 1703 caused record damage and killed 18 people.

equationgirl and shagnasty like this.
  13. Voley

Voley If you're happy and you know it, fuck off.

We're prepared:

[​IMG]

Dr Jon and stuff_it like this.
  14. classicdish

classicdish Well-Known Member

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2013/Severe-storm-risk (link with maps and additional info etc)

Warning over severe storm risk

24 October 2013 - Unsettled weather is expected to continue over the next few days with further spells of heavy rain and strong winds for most parts, particularly over Saturday and Sunday.

Then as we move into Sunday night and Monday morning there is a risk a significant storm could develop close to the UK which has the potential to bring some exceptionally strong winds to parts of the country.

Currently the storm is most likely to impact the southern half of the UK, with the potential for gusts of more than 80mph - especially on exposed coasts in the south.

Winds of this strength could bring down trees or cause structural damage, potentially causing transport disruption or power cuts.

Eddy Carroll, Chief Forecaster at the Met Office, said: "This storm doesn't exist at the moment, but our forecasts models predict it is likely to develop in the west Atlantic on Saturday. Then it's likely to rapidly intensify just west of the UK late on Sunday before tracking across England and Wales early on Monday.

"There is still a chance this storm may take a more southerly track and miss the UK, bringing impacts elsewhere in northern Europe, but people should be aware there is a risk of severe weather and significant disruption. With that in mind, people should keep up to date with and act on the advice in our forecasts and warnings as the situation develops."

Normally Atlantic storms of this type develop much further to the west of the UK and are waning in strength by the time they reach the UK and Ireland.

This storm is more unusual, developing much closer to the UK and potentially tracking across the country while still in its most powerful phase. A strong jet stream and warm air close to the UK are both contributing to the development and strength of the storm.

If the storm arrives in line with current predictions, some areas could see some of their strongest winds for a number of years.

15. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Driving back from Bath to London on Sunday afternoon - should be fine :hmm:

Greebo likes this.
  16. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

if everyone heeds the warnings the roads should be fairly clear :cool:

17. Voley

Voley If you're happy and you know it, fuck off.

I predict a phone conversation on Monday morning along the lines of 'Yeah, sorry about that, boss, but it's too dangerous to drive right now. Should be back Wednesday or Thursday.'

kittyP, scifisam, Greebo and 5 others like this.
  18. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I feel it might be a stormy week

Greebo, stuff_it and Voley like this.
  19. fuck seals

fuck seals Well-Known Member

Anyone who cannot differentiate between 'worse' & 'worst' should have to sit outside in the inclement weather.

Dr Jon, Greebo, SpookyFrank and 2 others like this.
  20. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

You can't beat a good storm. :)

Greebo likes this.
  21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model The word of Sin is Restriction

mind you don't end up getting done for fare evasion

22. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

Hmmm, Monday is the first morning of my walking to work. One of the main roads will be closed due to bridge works, so if pedestrians can't get through then I have to walk through a park. I am seriously woondering if I should wear my cycle helmet.

Or get the bus.

Disjecta Membra and gentlegreen like this.
  23. farmerbarleymow

Just make sure you steer well clear of killer trees. If a branch fell off a large tree, or even a whole tree toppled on to you, a cycle helmet would be about as much use as a chocolate teapot, unfortunately. :(

Greebo likes this.
  24. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

I know, a friend's aunt was killed when a tree fell on her. Talk about unlucky!

25. farmerbarleymow

Absolutely! Strolling along through a nice park and WHAM! On the upside, it would normally be a very quick death with tons and tons of wood landing on your head.

Greebo likes this.
  26. trashpony

trashpony Never knowingly underawed

Even in normal winters I lose a few roof tiles :(

27. farmerbarleymow

The thought of bits falling off houses and hurtling through the air worries me more than the risk of trees falling over. I remember during one very stormy day when I was a kid seeing a bin lid hurtling through the air seemingly effortlessly. It was one of those industrial bin lids made of heavy rubber, so the wind would have to be very strong to keep that airborne!

28. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

It might topple the bus though

29. steeplejack

steeplejack Reluctant Hardliner

It's times like this when Britain is at its best.

we'll send these chaps to shoot the storm down before it gets here.

*bursts with pride*

30. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Flying to Oz from Heathrow Monday. Last time we made that journey it was the savage snow just before Xmas a few years back and we were delayed for hours and then the last flight out pretty much.

#jinxed