World's Strongest Man 2017

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Nine Bob Note, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Straight for Servalan

What? No thread, etc...

The final is coming up Monday evening. Sadly, for the first time in the 25 years or so that I've been watching, I've had the result spoilt, but shall keep it to myself for now.

The lineup is arguably stronger than ever, with last year's top three all present along with Big Z and Kielszkowski.

Shame about Terry Hollands missing out on qualification - I know I've slagged him off in the past, but he looked his best yet this year - pity his attempt to the play the very modern points game back-fired.

2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I've watched a few of the heats, including last night's. Magnús Ver Magnússon looks to be a lot smaller than when I remember him dominating in the 90s. But a lot bigger than his Mastermind days.

I quite like the departure from the Atlas stones to the last-man-standing.

3. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Hadn't watched it for a few years. Wonder if Eddie Hall knew he'd won at 4 stones. Big Zee a shadow of his former self but good to see him again all the same. Magnus definitely needs to work on his punditry for next year.

4. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

I'd heard the result beforehand too but it didn't stop it being exciting. Eddie on top form all the way through and what a finish!

First time ever I've not watched it on New Year's day. I had to watch it today on catch up with a sleeping baby. Very hard to keep quiet!

5. Nine Bob Note

The fucking Beeb had it all over the news way back (them not having the rights to it any more and so not giving a shit about spoilers) but I managed to somehow forget. Then, a couple of months ago, a wrestling site revealed he was the winner in an article about his being in talks with the WWE.

Big Z will certainly be back on form for 2018 - in recent photos he's lost the belly and is fucking jacked.

6. stavros

I didn't know the result, so that was a great surprise.

I was talking a fair bit of bollocks upthread about Magnús; he's still looking fairly huge, if slightly smaller than his competitive weight.

And C5 (and any other channel), please use James Richardson on more stuff.

7. Spod

Spod Well-Known Member

Great stuff, really glad for Eddie Hall. I knew he won before hand but still enjoyed it. Sounds like he wants to retire from top level competition and get into media/presenting. Good luck to him

8. stavros

A few champions have said similar at certain points in their careers. Some keep to it - Steve Redgrave. Others come back - Lance Armstrong.

9. Nine Bob Note

Having read his daily schedule, it sounds horrendous. Sleeping in an oxygen tent in the garden, getting up every couple of hours to wolf down more steak/tuna, literally every waking moment not spent eating training. When he says he's done, I think he means it.

He'll be alright in wrestling (in what ever capacity it turns out to be - I doubt he's gonna be 'working') - McMahon loves his strongmen, and while I don't doubt he'd prefer Thor (possibly above anyone else in the entire world), I believe Hall would be his first legit WSM. Gonna have to to lose 'the Beast' though - that's Lesnar's schtick.

10. strung out

strung out (",)

You mean Steve Redgrave who famously didn't stick to it? :D

11. stavros

Yes, good point. I was thinking the "shoot me" comment was from 2000, when in fact was from 1996.