World Snooker Championships 2018

Discussion in 'general sports' started by stavros, Apr 18, 2018.

1. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Starting the tournament proper on Saturday, so begins the highlight of the sporting year. Seventeen days of shitloads of snooker, culminating in a bank holiday draped over the sofa fully absorbed.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is a strong favourite with the bookies at 9/4, not least because many of the other top dogs look below par this season. No one can write off Mark Selby, the best player of his generation, but his form this season has been a long way short of the previous years. Judd Trump and Ding Junhui are both getting to the point in their careers where they need to fully deliver in Sheffield, or they won't be remembered in the pantheon of greats. That John Higgins and Mark Williams, as well as O'Sullivan, are among the favourites suggests that the crop who've come through in the last ten years, Selby apart, haven't fully fulfilled their potential.

So, this is the thread to discuss all things baizey for the following two weeks or so.

Mr Retro, DotCommunist and blairsh like this.
  2. blairsh

blairsh kenny ken b2b with kenny ken

Can't wait, should be a belter based on the past year :thumbs:

stavros likes this.
  3. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

I'd like O'Sullivan to win by playing amazing snooker like nobody else can.

Failing that, I'd be happy with a Ding win. Or maybe an outsider - not been one of those for a while. Any possible long-shots? Selby is always a threat as he probably has the best 'B'-game. I would worry that Ronnie O will have an off-day at some point - I don't think it's a coincidence that he's won more Masters than Worlds.

4. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

I’ve had 2 small each way bets on Mark Allen at 28/1 and Ryan Day at 40/1.

Ronnie seems to be enjoying his snooker this year and if he turns up he wins easily. Odds of 9/4 are ridiculous though.

5. stavros

I fear some people who claim to watch O'Sullivan but not bother with anyone else can be depriving themselves of a lot they'd enjoy. If you want to see jackpot shots then Trump's just as likely to produce from the baulk end, and Ding in the balls can be a joy to watch. I'm sure that more than a few people would grow to love the tactical play once the nuances are understood.

None of the above is to say that O'Sullivan is not exceptional.

littlebabyjesus likes this.
  6. littlebabyjesus

All true. In fact, regarding long pots, O'Sullivan is not and never has been the very best at those. But he is the greatest snooker player who has ever lived, and recently, he's been in some of the best form of his life. I'd like him to win another Worlds and draw level with Davis and Reardon. ffs if cuntface Higgins wins this year, I think he draws level with O'S on Worlds won. That's just not right.

O'Sullivan Maguire in the first round is tasty.

stavros likes this.
  7. littlebabyjesus

I don't just watch o'Sullivan, but if there's a two-table situation and Ronnie's on one of them, I'll watch that match. No exceptions that I can think of. Even if he's playing a dreadful grinder like Rory MacLeod.

8. stavros

I should've mentioned Selby's working of the angles in positional play too.

I think it was at the Player's Championship recently that the pundits - Hendry, Foulds and McManus if memory serves - said that the majority of players on the circuit are fearful of O'Sullivan at the moment, which puts them in a bad frame (sorry) of mind before the break-off is made. The exceptions they gave were Higgins, Selby and Trump.

blairsh likes this.
  9. blairsh

Yep. Corrrect :thumbs:

10. stavros

Blimey, Selby was terrible and Perry was clinical.

11. blairsh

Murphy out :cool:

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  12. blairsh

I'm assuming you've all been too busy watching this, to comment on how fucking great these first couple rounds have been so far :hmm:

I am predicting the final will be a random match up you might not expect to meet...

13. littlebabyjesus

Watched Trump Wakelin last night. Amazing finish and gutted for Wakelin when he potted the black final frame. Got to say that good as he clearly is I don't think trump will ever win this. Was a very lucky boy last night.

14. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie You fooled all the people with magic

Ronnie pulling it back together! Could have been 9-3 down! Two frames behind going into the final session tomorrow at 9-7.

Pickman's model and Smick like this.
  15. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Haven't seen a single frame yet as just been busy with work and Uni. Not like me to not watch as much as possible. Will try to tune in to some over the weekend.

Hows Ding Doing? Really want to see him win at some point

16. blairsh

Ding is looking like one of the best seeds for me (cue me eating my words:oops: :D)

Pickman's model and Mumbles274 like this.
  17. Mumbles274

Bit of needle in this match between Ronnie and Ali it seems?

18. blairsh

Just a bit :eek:

Mumbles274 likes this.
  19. Mumbles274

I've posted this before but it's always worth sharing again.. Snooker bingo!

PSX_20180428_163616.jpg

Infidel Castro likes this.
  20. blairsh

Good work from Ali Carter, thoroughly deserved and a fucking big win for him.

Not watched a match so far that wasn't superb :thumbs:

Mumbles274 likes this.
  21. blairsh

Anyone watching the opening session between Williams v Milkins?

22. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

i've taken to "impressing" family and friends with random obscure sports awareness :D mark allen really came into his own in the second round, with that 133 :cool:

23. blairsh

Mark Allen is in my top 3 potential winners :cool:

24. wayward bob

hasten to add i know fuck all about snooker and don't/aren't watching. but every sports thing comes with a smattering of free bets ;) currently collecting centuries :thumbs:

maomao and Mumbles274 like this.
  25. blairsh

Not been big on that front as in recent world champs, if my perception fails me...

26. wayward bob

it's all here :D:thumbs:

27. blairsh

Got an eye on a winner then, bob?

28. wayward bob

not a clue...

29. blairsh

I have it narrowed down to five that i think are likely to be able to win...

So you could bet on them all to lose and probably win :thumbs:

30. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie You fooled all the people with magic

Wouldn’t want to be in Jack Lesowski’s shoes right now! 13-0 whitewash? :eek:

Pickman's model likes this.