World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'gaming and consoles' started by Buddy Bradley, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Hmm, no idea. Let me go add them all up...

...57 days since I came back to it. 35 of those on my only L85, the rest across a few different alts. If I go back through this thread I can probably figure out when that was.

2. Buddy Bradley

Looks like it was around the end of June 2009, so in 595 days I have spent almost 10% of that time playing. Or assuming 8 hours sleep a night, 15% of waking hours playing - Fucking hell! :eek: :eek:

Although in that time I have also held down a full-time job including getting promoted, made tens of thousands of pounds freelancing in my spare time, and travelled extensively including several family holidays. So it's not necessarily the life-killer it can be made out to be. :)

3. bouncer_the_dog

bouncer_the_dog Well-Known Member

4. newme

newme Giant in Pastyland now

anyone fancy pming me a scroll of resurrection or whatever they are so we can both maybe get some free time

5. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

I'm playing this again. Had a six month rest when I reached level 70 but determined to reach level 85. Glutton for punishment.

6. newme

newme Giant in Pastyland now

Found with getting xp for battlegrounds and dungeons being able to find groups almost instantly i fly up a few levels an hour. Actually made levelling a lot less tedious than it was a few years ago when I last played.

7. Citizen66

Haven't really bothered with battlegrounds but I dob a fair few instances and yeah, good for speedy leveling.

8. Cloud

Cloud Omar Commin!

My entire family (part from that alien thing called the wife) still play WoW.

Quite a few old timers, I play with a bunch of 40 somethings, often fighting our kids in the arena for a laugh (we lose)

It's getting a bit old though, the magic has gone, definately feels like a hamster on a wheel type situation and the PVP is so wack imbalanced in order to encourage people to lvl other classes (more time and subs)

They do take the piss sometimes but I kinda play a few hours just for nostalgia and if I can't sleep.

9. Buddy Bradley

I gave up last month - sold all my gear, emptied my bank, gave enormous amounts of money to random lowbies :D and deleted all my characters and my account. I'd just lost all interest in progressing - occasionally I would enjoy the odd dungeon run or quest chain, but mostly it was just pointless. And with no end goal in sight (I don't have the spare time to dedicate to end-game raiding) there really was no reason to play apart from generating positive chemical reactions in my brain when I achieved some minor goal - and I can just as easily mimic that effect by writing or coding in my spare time, which at least produces some tangible end product.

Trouble is that in ditching WoW I can now no longer claim to be a "gamer" of any sort... it just might be the very first sign of middle-age. :(

10. bouncer_the_dog

broadly agree.. but im not cancelling yet, I still like the escapism. Maybe you'll be SWOTR'ing ?

11. Buddy Bradley

I doubt it. I use an iMac, so my gaming options are severely limited. Maybe if I get a fat bonus one year, or when the kids are a bit older, I'll splash out on a PS4 or Xbox 720 or something, but for now I'm not playing much beyond Angry Birds. :cool:

12. Buddy Bradley

Bumpity-bump. :cool:

Is there a market for selling max-leveled characters? I'm on holiday, and downloaded the WoW trial because the kids like making new toons and running around talking to the animals :D but I played it a little too. Now it's so easy and quick to level, I'm wondering whether it's worth indulging my gaming urge every few months to max-level a couple of characters that I can then sell to make back the subscription costs? :confused:

13. XR75

XR75 DisMember Banned

14. bouncer_the_dog

Why buy something when its so easy to level one yourself?

15. Citizen66

Laziness?

I think people have sold levelled characters, sometimes for quite a bit of money, but the ones I heard of had acquired unique items. Don't know how much money we're talking. I thing strung out knew about this but he doesn't appear to be posting any more.

16. hegley

hegley new and improved 2.3

This certainly, back in the day. I doubt you could sell one for very much now, unless it was fully kitted out in whatever the highest Tier armour is now, or had legendaries that aren't possible to get anymore. The most anyone I know personally made was c.£800 for a totally kitted shaman but that was a few years ago now. The bottom seems to have fallen out of the real money AH on Diablo III even faster.

17. grit

grit an ugly force for good

I have friends who have sold characters for several hundred pounds.

18. Citizen66

Find out the precise details then. :cool:

I doubt it would be very profitable, or at least not for me. I played for MONTHS and still didn't get much past lvl 70.

19. renegadechicken

renegadechicken Live and don't learn, that's me.

Way back, about 5 years ago i sold my fully pimped arena lock for about 700 quid, however the market isn't there any more and i think even fully maxed epiced toons only go for a just over a hundred quid at most...as it is so easy to lvl and get epics now.

I know i looked into selling my account in december when i quit and that has 5 lvl 85 all geared in dragon soul gear, all raid capable and was only looking at about £170 for the whole lot.

20. Buddy Bradley

Epicly bumping my almost 10-year-old thread. :cool:

I gave up on WoW several years ago, but after following the Nostalrius controversy via Reddit, I wondered what the vanilla experience might be like. Now that the team seems to have rebranded themselves as the Elysium Project, I downloaded the 1.12 version of the game and gave it a go.

It's actually pretty interesting to play the vanilla game - before there were arrows on the minimap, or destinations marked on the map; returning to your class trainer every couple of levels to train up new skills. You have to be careful with your resource management, and really plan how to approach each encounter (rather than just facerolling through the first 80/90 levels like the retail game is currently). It also means that grouping up is far more common, because you often need help with areas.

Throw in the fact that you're not paying to play, and it's quite a fun waste of time. :)

21. hegley

hegley new and improved 2.3

Is it genuinely vanilla? No mount till 40, limited flight paths, forced to do all the quests in an area etc.? All just seems a bit "rosy-tinted specs" when I see people on WoW forums and in-game waxing lyrical about vanilla. It was a proper slog/grind back in the day!

Btw, if you're interested, Legion is a pretty awesome expansion - I've come back after a 2 year break and am really enjoying it.

22. Buddy Bradley

Yes - it's the 1.12.1 version of the game, exactly as it played at the time (although with all the graphics maxed out it doesn't look much different from the current version).

I gave Legion a look, but levelling is just so boring nowadays.

23. It's F2P nowadays?

24. Buddy Bradley

No, not the proper version. These vanilla servers are technically illegal.

25. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

Reach 60 and it becomes a lot more than a waste of time... To hit instances like MC and BL you needed full-sized raids (i.e 40 person), with decent equipment, plenty of potions, repair funds etc. That means guilds of 60+ lvl 60 players, all regularly grinding cash, potion ingredients, crafting stuff etc. And obviously you fail a lot - which costs money, and means you need lots of practice runs to clear a single boss (or even the mobs). Easy to end up playing for any free time you have.

26. Buddy Bradley

Time for another bump, as WoW Classic now has a release date. The beta gameplay videos look very smooth - will be interesting to see how the population changes after the initial excitement.