1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working tax credit, employment and twins.

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Alibongo, Oct 7, 2017.

  1. Alibongo

    Alibongo Member

    My partner is about to return to work after maternity leave, i also work but get just under 18k pa. My partner will have a phased return and end up working 4 days but will still earn more overall by a few grand. We have worked out that having twins in nursery full time would be much more than i get paid so we are considering me giving up work to look after them.
    Is there any benefits we could get to help anyone?
  2. Pickman's model

    Pickman's model funhouse thrills

  3. ViolentPanda

    ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

    Child Tax Credit is all that comes to mind, but if you're in a Universal Credit area, that could fuck you over.
  4. Puddy_Tat

    Puddy_Tat meh

    I am baffled by tax credits. in theory, you're always supposed to be better off working than not working, but it doesn't always work out like that.

    The benefits calculator here (independent, anonymous) may be worth a play with - you can put your current and / or possible situations (e.g. different incomes) in and see what happens.

    what i'm even less sure of is what 'conditionality' there is now, and will be as universal clusterfuck credit is rolled out - at the moment, if you're on jobseeker's, you have to jump through hoops to show you're available for and 'actively seeking' work - suggestion is that with tax credits you're going to have to show you're looking for better paid work. not sure how far this has got.
    crossthebreeze likes this.
  5. crossthebreeze

    crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

    Have a look at this - 4,5, and 6 might apply to to you (assuming your twins are babies), but its really complicated - it all depends on your earnings, whether or not you're in a universal credit area, and the cost of childcare. Yougov also have a help with childcare costs calculator - obviously its not independent but it looks quite specific.

    Tbh its probably worth getting some advice from CAB or similar as stuff around conditionality with certain benefits and what you may or may not be entitled to as your kids age to 2,3,4 complicates things even further.

    Also if you're thinking of giving up work make sure you look into any problems you might have getting back into work when you need to - check any certificates, licences, tickets, or professional memberships that might lapse, how competitive the job market is for your skill or industry, etc.
  6. DexterTCN

    DexterTCN Well-Known Member

  7. Alibongo

    Alibongo Member

    Had a go on one senario so far, not much thats for sure 175 approx. Will try some more when get time.
  8. doodlelogic

    doodlelogic arbitrary message here

    Under the tax credit system, the "childcare element of working tax credit" will cover about 85% of your childcare costs not covered by childcare vouchers/tax free childcare. For a couple both working, on lower incomes, i.e. you - this will mean you are normally better off not to claim childcare vouchers (saving 33% up to a limited level) / tax free childcare (25% bonus on childcare payments) but just "childcare element of working tax credit" (saving 85%).

    HMRC have a useful calculator Childcare vouchers: better off calculator - GOV.UK

    Fuck knows what happens under universal credit.

Share This Page