Working on universal credit

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by moody, Oct 9, 2019 at 8:33 AM.

1. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

Hi,

I got switched over from ESA to UC start of sept, I was dreading it as I'd heard all the horror stories and I worked permitted hours whilst i was on ESA which i thought I'd have to stop or take a f/t job.

Turned out that it was a fairly straight forward process and that I could carry on with my job and that they were happy with me and i wouldn't be pestered by a "job coach"

What they couldn't tell me, for some reason, is how much can I earn before deductions come out of my UC.

So, I get the standard £317pm.

I work and earn around £110 p/w

I got my first payment recently and there were no deductions.

I have been told that UC take 63p in every pound over (?) you earn.

How does this work?

I asked but they couldn't tell me, told me to go CAB.

2. moody

Do they take 63p out of every pound you earn over the £317 they give me monthly? if so, I already earn more than that from work?

what I really want to know is how much i can earn from work before it effects the HB part of the benefit as i quite like the idea of picking up more shifts.

3. moody

I've just been told.

so the info is, for anyone else wondering....

example,

so, i'm single and earn £240 during the UC assessment period, so I take my earnings and multiply by the taper rate of 0.63 which is £151.20

so this means i get to keep all my wages but £151.20 will be deducted from my UC.

hope this clears things up for some folk, I personally found it a bit confusing and even the job centre couldn't tell me and sent me down the CAB.

4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

:facepalm: at joke centre

my understanding of universal clusterfuck isn't great so i didn't have any ideas anyway.

may be worth being aware of the turn2us benefits calculator (independent and anonymous) - you can do a 'what if' calculation (e.g. what if i take a job with this pay / move to a place with this rent)

moody likes this.
  5. Epona

Epona Down with battered parsnips

It's a mystery to everyone I think, OH and I put in a joint claim earlier this year when he lost his job and I wasn't working, we had no income for 4 and a half weeks and payment due at 5 weeks, in that last half a week Nate managed to get a couple of shifts (16 hours work) and they cancelled our entire claim retrospectively.

So essentially we went for a month on zero income, we are both now working but the fallout from getting behind with payments on stuff is going to have longer term repercussions on us financially.

I don't know why it is considered ok for people to go for long periods of time without any help at all, what the cutoff points are, or why.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.