Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Work starts on the eagerly awaited new Foxtons office on Brixton Road

Why, do you have plans for them?
Ha, no. There was a bit of a kerfuffle about where they store them as far as I remember - they're company vehicles, which caused problems with CPZs and neighbourhood parking in other areas. There's hardly loads of parking around there at the moment, and 5 or 6 twuntmobiles aren't going to help matters.

Brixton Hatter

Home is south London mate
Ha, no. There was a bit of a kerfuffle about where they store them as far as I remember - they're company vehicles, which caused problems with CPZs and neighbourhood parking in other areas. There's hardly loads of parking around there at the moment, and 5 or 6 twuntmobiles aren't going to help matters.
There's the new temp car park round the back of the town hall - they could use that and pay like everyone else.

Unless.....can businesses get parking permits to park in CPZs? Or is it just residents?

cuppa tee

I know foxtons have a reputation as particularly odious practitioneers in the black art of property but I can't help worrying that there will soon be a rash of estate agents all with their snouts in the trough, the big players are noticeable by their absence ATM I think and hopefully the main drag of Brixton will not become like Kennington and Clapham.

editor

hiraethified
The main drag is fucked. There's already 4 corporate mobile phone shops within 30m of the tube and a fifth is on its way.

Winot

I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint
I find it hard to understand why there are so many, or rather why so many vendors use them. Most are idiots (as everyone knows) and it's not difficult to sell a property without an agent (and save a fortune).

simonSW2

My poor father has been known to confuse Foxtons in Streatham for a generic coffee chain and has shuffled in, taken a seat on one of their gaudy fluro-chairs then tried to work out how to order a drink on more than one occasion.

Their whole Aspirational Lifestyle Design schtick is nauseating, but I look forward to reading their promotional literature to see how many times they describe Brixton as 'vibrant'.

Manter

Lunch Mob
I find it hard to understand why there are so many, or rather why so many vendors use them. Most are idiots (as everyone knows) and it's not difficult to sell a property without an agent (and save a fortune).
you need time though. I wouldn't have time to take calls from people, be there for appointments etc- and I wouldn't have trusted the Northerner to do it :D

But we only went to foxtons (to buy not sell) when we were desperate, homeless and the third purchase had fallen through. And even then I regretted it - it was liking having a faintly dim stalker. At least four calls a day o the lines of 'Hello madam, I am calling from Foxtons in an area in which you have never show the faintest interest . We have a rabbit hutch that costs almost twice what you have to spend, when should I arrange your viewing?'

cunts

Winot

I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint
you need time though. I wouldn't have time to take calls from people, be there for appointments etc- and I wouldn't have trusted the Northerner to do it :D
We did it by having a viewing session every Saturday - give them 20min slots - make sure there's a slight overlap so they can see there's competition - only need to clear up once a week ;-)

Manter

Lunch Mob
We did it by having a viewing session every Saturday - give them 20min slots - make sure there's a slight overlap so they can see there's competition - only need to clear up once a week ;-)
bet your house was more desirable than ours... how many Saturdays did you have to do?

editor

hiraethified
Most small towns are full of empty shops, totally dead town centres. You don't know you're born etc etc
But Brixton isn't a "small town". Brixton is part of Laaaandaaaahn and I imagine there's no shortage of shops that would like to open up on the main drag.

leanderman

Street Party: July 2

But we only went to foxtons (to buy not sell) when we were desperate, homeless and the third purchase had fallen through. And even then I regretted it - it was liking having a faintly dim stalker. At least four calls a day o the lines of 'Hello madam, I am calling from Foxtons in an area in which you have never show the faintest interest . We have a rabbit hutch that costs almost twice what you have to spend, when should I arrange your viewing?'

cunts
Exactly: A cynic would sell through Foxtons, but never buy through them.

Manter

Lunch Mob
Exactly: A cynic would sell through Foxtons, but never buy through them.
I think we've gathered I'm crashingly naive as well as single handedly ruining Brixton.

Seriously though, do they get better prices/charge lower rates than others? WHY do people use them?

Boudicca

Seaside Queen
I think we've gathered I'm crashingly naive as well as single handedly ruining Brixton.

Seriously though, do they get better prices/charge lower rates than others? WHY do people use them?
Because they bring in the Claphamites, for whom Brixton still seems relatively expensive. So they really can get you more money than Haarts. But they are still twats and I wouldn't use them.

leanderman

Street Party: July 2

Why buy through them? Either through naivety - or they have the house you want

fortyplus

smug git
Just thinking about estate agents exacerbates my hypertension. Their whole business model, buying or letting, depends on people moving all the time, creating transient communities of rootless souls chasing an impossible aspirational dream built like the financial crisis on debts that can never be repaid. There's even one in Clapham that's actually called "aspire", which would be funny if the consequences of their victims missing the irony weren't so tragic for us all.