Work starts on the eagerly awaited new Foxtons office on Brixton Road

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Dec 6, 2012.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

2. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Where are they going to store their cars?

3. Chilavert

Chilavert Undermining strikes :-(

Any chance you can take a photo a day Ed to record the progress?

4. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Why, do you have plans for them?

[​IMG]

5. editor

editor hiraethified

I've got far better things to do thanks, but feel free to take on the job yourself if it's the kind of thing you're interested in.

Greebo likes this.
  6. Chilavert

Chilavert Undermining strikes :-(

:(

7. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Ha, no. There was a bit of a kerfuffle about where they store them as far as I remember - they're company vehicles, which caused problems with CPZs and neighbourhood parking in other areas. There's hardly loads of parking around there at the moment, and 5 or 6 twuntmobiles aren't going to help matters.

8. editor

editor hiraethified

[​IMG]

stuff_it likes this.
  9. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

There's the new temp car park round the back of the town hall - they could use that and pay like everyone else.

Unless.....can businesses get parking permits to park in CPZs? Or is it just residents?

10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

I saw that last night - massive and yet completely empty.

11. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

I know foxtons have a reputation as particularly odious practitioneers in the black art of property but I can't help worrying that there will soon be a rash of estate agents all with their snouts in the trough, the big players are noticeable by their absence ATM I think and hopefully the main drag of Brixton will not become like Kennington and Clapham.

Badgers likes this.
  12. editor

editor hiraethified

The main drag is fucked. There's already 4 corporate mobile phone shops within 30m of the tube and a fifth is on its way.

Badgers likes this.
  13. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I find it hard to understand why there are so many, or rather why so many vendors use them. Most are idiots (as everyone knows) and it's not difficult to sell a property without an agent (and save a fortune).

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  14. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

True enough, let's hope it doesn't start spreading out then

15. simonSW2

simonSW2 Well-Known Member

My poor father has been known to confuse Foxtons in Streatham for a generic coffee chain and has shuffled in, taken a seat on one of their gaudy fluro-chairs then tried to work out how to order a drink on more than one occasion.

Their whole Aspirational Lifestyle Design schtick is nauseating, but I look forward to reading their promotional literature to see how many times they describe Brixton as 'vibrant'.

stuff_it, el-ahrairah, salem and 3 others like this.
  16. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

you need time though. I wouldn't have time to take calls from people, be there for appointments etc- and I wouldn't have trusted the Northerner to do it :D

But we only went to foxtons (to buy not sell) when we were desperate, homeless and the third purchase had fallen through. And even then I regretted it - it was liking having a faintly dim stalker. At least four calls a day o the lines of 'Hello madam, I am calling from Foxtons in an area in which you have never show the faintest interest . We have a rabbit hutch that costs almost twice what you have to spend, when should I arrange your viewing?'

cunts

Spark and Brixton Hatter like this.
  17. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

yes, this

I bloody hope Morleys survives and doesn't become debenhams or something

18. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

Most small towns are full of empty shops, totally dead town centres. You don't know you're born etc etc

Dan U and Manter like this.
  19. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Lizzie sorts out the Brixton thread :D

el-ahrairah likes this.
  20. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

You'll be telling us your public transport is crap next.

fractionMan and Manter like this.
  21. Winot

We did it by having a viewing session every Saturday - give them 20min slots - make sure there's a slight overlap so they can see there's competition - only need to clear up once a week ;-)

22. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

bet your house was more desirable than ours... how many Saturdays did you have to do?

23. Winot

Can't remember but we had 4/5 offers. This was 2006 though.

24. editor

editor hiraethified

But Brixton isn't a "small town". Brixton is part of Laaaandaaaahn and I imagine there's no shortage of shops that would like to open up on the main drag.

25. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

pfffff.

:D

26. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Exactly: A cynic would sell through Foxtons, but never buy through them.

27. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

I think we've gathered I'm crashingly naive as well as single handedly ruining Brixton.

Seriously though, do they get better prices/charge lower rates than others? WHY do people use them?

28. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Because they bring in the Claphamites, for whom Brixton still seems relatively expensive. So they really can get you more money than Haarts. But they are still twats and I wouldn't use them.

29. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Why buy through them? Either through naivety - or they have the house you want

laluna likes this.
  30. fortyplus

fortyplus smug git

Just thinking about estate agents exacerbates my hypertension. Their whole business model, buying or letting, depends on people moving all the time, creating transient communities of rootless souls chasing an impossible aspirational dream built like the financial crisis on debts that can never be repaid. There's even one in Clapham that's actually called "aspire", which would be funny if the consequences of their victims missing the irony weren't so tragic for us all.

43mhz, laluna, Greebo and 2 others like this.