Work related stress

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by RubyBlue, Oct 19, 2017.

1. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

ive been working where I am now for 3 years and loved it until a year ago when we had a reorganisation ~ things went downhill quickly - my workload doubled fairly fast and I’ve had zero support from my manager.

I’m now being told I’m under performing and informal procedures are being put in place … not really sure what is going on as I am a bag of nerves not eating or sleeping and today just been signed off by my doctor.

Just don’t know what to do and needed to write this down.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

informal procedures? don't like the sound of that. talk to your union rep pronto.

hope you feel better soon.

3. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Have you raised this issue with HR?

Badgers likes this.
  4. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Informal procedures? What are they? :confused:
    Do you have a union there?

5. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Leave. (obviously don't just resign, look for other jobs while still employed by these clowns, use the downtime to update your CV and look for what's out there, there's a fair few threads on job searching)

Your job is clearly making you unhappy, we spend most of our days there. I've been there, there is nothing worse than waking up and not wanting to go to work.

Major reorganisations usually mean the company is not in a good place, especially with increased workloads. You might be doing yourself a favour to get out while you can.

You have the power to change the situation.

oryx, Thimble Queen, Badgers and 2 others like this.
  6. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

I have ~ I can’t deal with this pressure ~ I’m contemplating just chucking myself off a bridge.

7. Rutita1

NO! No job is worth your life. Do you have a union where you work? Are you a member? Who else can support you?

8. Rutita1

You have done the right thing at this stage by seeing your doctor and being signed off. Well done.

Use this time to consider what your options are.

9. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

Spoken to the union but the department I’m in has a history of high staff turnover cos everyone hates it + I was happy a week ago + well not happy but coping this came out the blue

Pickman's model likes this.
  10. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

My mental health isn’t the best anyway and I’ve recently changed anti depressants ~ I can’t take this shit

11. Rutita1

So, the change in meds may be a factor as well as the ongoing work pressure?

You don't have to take this shit...you just need to work out how to manage this current situation.

What are the informal procedures you mentioned above?

Can you contact your workplace rep and let them know what is happening?

bubblesmcgrath and Thimble Queen like this.
  12. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

This. It's possible they think they're being matey and trying to help you out with keeping things informal, but we've all seen enough cuntitude to be suspicious. Union.

Also this

13. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

I have done this but they were involved when we had the original restructure and were fuck all use. I’m looking at getting HR involved also but tbh it’s stressi can’t take. I have a good work history ~ never been offwith something like this I just think they want me out ~ they don’t like me for whatever reason.

I’ve even looked at the bridge opening times + I too old for this crap and don’t think I can do it

14. Pickman's model

don't do this off anything larger than a dental bridge as it isn't the solution you wish.

bubblesmcgrath and Badgers like this.
  15. Rutita1

Even if they do 'want you out' they have to go about it in a way that follows policy. Have you been put on capability or been given improvement targets?

What is the procedure you have described as informal?

If your inhouse rep is shit get in touch with the local branch.

16. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

Ha I’m going to the hospital in an hour for treatment that the dentist can’t do ~ rip into my jaw to remove a tooth ~ well it’s just a consultation today

Pickman's model likes this.
  17. Pickman's model

you haven't mentioned anything about sickness absence, disability or reasonable adjustments. have you been off sick at all?

equationgirl and Badgers like this.
  18. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

Yeah capability ~ the first informal stage ~ my union rep has emailed my manager today to say that for what they’re complaining about it’s a bit strong!

19. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

No sickness; the e admitted I’m not lazy I’m always ready to work _ got emails from other team members saying how thankful they are for my quick work and sorting shit out etc

20. Rutita1

Right, great start. You and the rep can come up with more suitable actions that your employer/manager should/could be doing to support you.

Do you have access to your work place's capability policy? Have you been given a copy and has this 'informal' procedure/sanction been put into writing?

Sorry for your troubles Ruby. Hope the consultation today isn't too much on top of everything else.

21. Pickman's model

if you've had mental health issues for a while then you might think about registering it as a disability with your employer. but from what you've said i'm at a loss to understand what their issue is with you.

22. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

Yes I have a copy which I sent to my union rep. She emailed my manager to say it’s a bit OTT but don’t know what his reply will be.

Thanks ~ off to this hospital now

23. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

Neither do I ~ I’m also a PA and apparently my director is unhappy with my diary management although he’s never explained how he would like me to manage it and I’m doing the same as I did with his predecessor

24. Rutita1

Does the policy talk about what actions/support your manager can/should be giving you as well? Can you talk with the rep to create a list of things?

equationgirl and Thimble Queen like this.
  25. Pickman's model

has this person ever expressed his dissatisfaction to you?

Thimble Queen and Badgers like this.
  26. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

But that plus small mistakes that might be made because I’m overworked ~ which my manager denies isn’t enough?

Anyway hospital waits

27. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

No; he has mentioned about diary clashes which I usually sort out but never expressed dissatisfaction to me directly or how hw would like me to manage his diary. Yesterday I arranged a meeting with him for tomorrow to see how he would like me to manage it and what his preferences are but obvs I won’t be able to make it

Thimble Queen likes this.
  28. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

I haven’t eaten or slept since Tuesday afternoon and I can’t be expected to work while I’m in a panic and scared stiff of the slightest mistake

29. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Just keep a record of everything ever said about you. the job, your performance, no matter how informal or minor. I dumped my whole back catalogue of Emails onto my own HDD once the noose was tightening and blame was being allocated - just insurance, for my own records. Hope you get through it. I know its stressful at the minute but use your time to look around for other things.

30. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Sorry to hear you are going through this RB. I've had times like this with work too and getting signed off was definitely the right thing to do.

I hope it eases up soon and your union is able to help.

When you are feeling better have a think about looking for something else.No job is worth this. Solidarity x

oryx and Rutita1 like this.