Work policy on 'snow days'

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Hellsbells, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

Just curious what happens at your work.
    It was impossible for me to get to work on Friday because of snow & ongoing snow storms throughout the day. When I told my boss this she said I have to take it as unpaid leave or annual leave. Is this normal?

2. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Pretty much, unless your work place offers a solution to efficiently work from home.

3. Hellsbells

No they don't. Just thought it was a bit crap. My boss was quite annoyed I hadn't battled my way in like she did.

4. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

I would be expected to walk in, shish is fair enough as,I'm a 10 minute drive away.

5. cybershot

My old work place also allowed me to go to the nearest office if it wasn't my own. If that's an option?

It's down to personal preference and how flexible your work place is.

I think unless you live in the sticks 'snowed in' is being thrown about a bit too easily.

I'm lucky enough my boss is allowing me to work from home. Otherwise I'd have got the train in, no way I'd have driven today, but I would have been expected to use public transport (as long as public transport is running, which if is generally means you don't have a leg to stand on to use snow as an excuse) if I was required to be in the office.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Nivag likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

sometimes they've just said don't bother coming in, at which point it's not a bother. that happened eight or nine years ago, when the buses stopped running, and i just went to the park and threw snowballs.

7. Hellsbells

All the buses were cancelled & I don't drive. I normally cycle. It would have been a 1 hour walk through gale force winds & heavy snow storms. It's not like I really had much option

8. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Yeah it's normal unless you work for somewhere particularly decent or can work from home. I can work from home, so long as I take my laptop with me - which I only do if I plan to work from home so no good in an emergency really.

It's a bit crap of your boss to be off with you since you couldn't have realistically got there without potentially putting yourself at risk. Is she always a dick?

9. Sea Star

Sea Star Well-Known Member

I can only remember one day in 29 years where the weather was so bad I couldn't travel easily between home and work, and it was caused by a heavy snow storm while I was at work. I was based in Leyton, and had to get back to Chislehurst. The bus gave up in Plumstead so I had bloody miles to walk through a blizzard to get home. Wasn't fun, and I wouldn't have done it if it had been in the other direction.

Work is getting tougher on this now though - 25 to 30 years ago used to be fairly easy to just say you didn't think it was safe and you'd be able to "work from home".

Now you have to have evidence so I haven't tried it in years - except when Boris stopped all the buses that time and that left me stuck at home (what a hardship).

It's a tad unfair I feel as I come in from what is very nearly Kent and bad weather does genuinely stop public transport. Years ago I used to risk cycling in snow and ice but a close call a few years ago when a bus went too fast and too close made me rethink that.

10. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

One would hope a large employer, that can afford to take the 'hit', would be reasonable and not insist on a no show, because of snow, being taken as holiday or unpaid leave.

But, at the end of the day, a employer is not responsible for the weather, so there's no real reason to expect them to pay people that don't turn-up for work.

Spymaster likes this.
  11. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

normally all the east and northern europeans turn up to work and look confused that no one else is there.

12. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

We have flexitime and credit a full day (7 hours) as an incentive even if people only manage to get in for a few hours. If they don't want to try to come in then they need to take leave. If they try and can't make it then we look at it on a case-by-case basis.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  13. cybershot

Can you make up the time, work through lunches, do overtime to make it up over so long?

14. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Go to the nearest muster point (hospitals or ambulance stations) and wait to be picked up. Or walk.

15. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

My colleagues who lived in Biggin Hill and Badgers Mount used to regularly get snowed in whilst everyone else was snow free.

Rutita1 likes this.
  16. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

In my old job (it hasn’t snowed since I left) we had to walk if we were within 4 miles and if we couldn’t get in most managers would make you take it as leave. If the office was closed or you got sent home, then you’d get a flexi credit.
    I remember struggling in on the bus once, falling over on my arse in the ice and not being able to get home when people who lived 5 minutes away didn’t even try. I was fucking livid.

17. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Whatever they're paying you it's not enough to risk your neck for.

And assuming you do your work to the standard expected when you can physically make it in, your employer should honour their commitment to pay you x amount of money per month for doing so. Something beyond you or your employer's control has happened, and either you or your employer will lose out as a result. Considering your employer is presumably some sort of organisation with greater resources than you have as a private individual and less capacity to suffer as a result of an unexpected drain on those resources, as a point of basic fairness it should be the organisation which takes the hit, not you.

18. Sea Star

Sea Star Well-Known Member

I've never been snowed in where I live, but as all the trains come in from Kent they tend to stop running, and then the buses are usually a bit hit and miss as well. Not exactly great at the best times, tbh.

19. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

I got told very harshly not to mention the s word ever again.
    Also if I failed to make it to the depot a whole 500 metres from my house to forget ever having any work with the council again Agency :eek::D.

Think we get to try to clear all of brightons main pavements fuck hove though:D

cupid_stunt likes this.
  20. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

i've always been in jobs where working at home is possible and so expected. also we have to properly work at home not just occasionally check emails.

they're very reasonable about whether or not getting to the office is realistic. although given people can work at home there's no need for them to be arsey about it.

21. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I wonder how you'd get on trying to make snow excuses if you were a snow plough driver :hmm:

cupid_stunt likes this.
  22. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

Once when I worked in a cinema they closed due to heavy snow but we still got paid :cool:

miss direct likes this.
  23. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

I'm going to make the huge assumption that you've worked free overtime and have good attendance; in which case your boss is a tit.

Hellsbells likes this.
  24. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

If Santa can do it at his age, so can you.

farmerbarleymow and cupid_stunt like this.
  25. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Years ago when I lived in Vauxhall but worked in North London as a civil servant I loved tube strike days. We were allowed to go to our nearest civil service office and report for duty. I found a place that dealt with mapping, just down the road from me. My job was completely unrelated but...civil service. Bemused, they’d ring my office, tell me I’d turned up at theirs, and I’d duly be sent home with full pay.

Now, I’d get a paid snow day. But I fear the day I go to work and it unexpectedly snows heavily while there. I drive a fair way over many hills and dangerous bends. And the town I work in is a complete shit hole. I would dread to be stuck there, snowed in. Doesn’t bear thinking about. But could happen.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  26. Hellsbells

It really pissed me off tbh. I work ridiculously hard in my soul destroyingly tedious job. I barely stop all day & have to listen to other staff hanging around chatting in the kitchen bcos they've got no work to do. My salary is crap, my leave is particularly crap. If i quit they would struggle to find a replacement. And my boss is aware of all this.

27. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

Last time it properly snowed in Bristol, (it hasn't recently,) half our office or more couldn't get in. Busses stuck etc. Those of us who did got most of the day off as there wasn't enough of us to man the phones. Rest had to take it AL. Which I thought a bit harsh. Personly I quite enjoyed the mild peril of walking in through snow and ice. They actually insisted on paying for me to get a cab home the next day, concerned I might come to slippery grief. I got it to drop me off at the pub instead...

Callie, muscovyduck and Hellsbells like this.
  28. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

The trouble with giving snow days off on full pay is that some people take the piss and knock-off at the first sign of a snow flake. You also get people who make it into work (often through no small effort) getting pissed-off that others didn't bother but are still getting paid. People at our place come and go as they please anyway so it's not an issue but I know of places where colleagues get the hump at others taking fag breaks let alone snow days.

Your boss sounds like a dick though.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    aqua, Thimble Queen and friedaweed like this.
  29. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Lazy fuckers had all day yesterday to dig the car out :eek:

"When I got up this morning all the snow had frozen". :rolleyes:

The whole of Scotland laughs at us when we do this shit :facepalm:

30. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

FTFY