Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

work frustrations

StoneRoad

heckling from the back!
And quite frankly nobody should have to be told not to send a dick pic to a colleague, or anyone else.
I quite agree - and I would say that "tits n bums" pics* are equally unacceptable.

(* a subject circulating at one place I worked at a few years ago, so I wasn't amused, asking at least one of the perps how he would feel if his dick was featured in a similar way, his blush could have melted snow, that stopped that problem - or they got way more discreet about it. Same with calendars !)

muscovyduck

too school for cool
I quite agree - and I would say that "tits n bums" pics* are equally unacceptable.

(* a subject circulating at one place I worked at a few years ago, so I wasn't amused, asking at least one of the perps how he would feel if his dick was featured in a similar way, his blush could have melted snow, that stopped that problem - or they got way more discreet about it. Same with calendars !)
Yes to clarify - I'm not receiving dick pics as we would understand them, I'm ocassionally getting sent images of naked people (which include genitalia and sexual imagery). Usually the person in the image is not the person sending the image but sometimes it might be. People are doing it in ways that create plausible deniability and they cut it out when I tell them not to send me that type of image. The people who do it are people who act predatory in other ways. None of the instances are connected.

Work aren't going to do anything, due to the nature of what our work is we're primed to be desensitised to this type of imagery.

Don't want to say what I do as I don't want to dox myself but if I did you'd be like "oh yeah that makes a lot of sense".

That's why I'm asking about laws, if I walked into a police station they would probably go speak to whoever sent it and at least issue a PIN. The people I work with aren't primed to think that being in trouble with the police is acceptable so that would get something sorted. Really need to have a think

Artaxerxes

A project manager got a third party to update some columns in a daily import task, pm didn’t check this with the people responsible for the service (I.e me)

Not only were the new columns clashing with the system but the quotes to mark delimiters were removed so the data would have been wrong if it had worked.

Daily import task has as a result been broken since Friday and I’ve been running around like a tit trying to get the system working again because no one technical appears to have contact details for the third party.

I’m going to give them such a clout on Thursday

the re-arrangement of desks thing is rumbling along.

one conversation in the kitchen area has been reported back to senior management by someone from another department who started the conversation

various alternative plans in circulation

some people think i 'insisted on' my current desk location which is balls - it was told that was my desk when i started there

much loss of productive time and morale in the general direction of the plug hole

facepaw2.jpg

equationgirl

Respect my existence or expect my resistance
the re-arrangement of desks thing is rumbling along.

one conversation in the kitchen area has been reported back to senior management by someone from another department who started the conversation

various alternative plans in circulation

some people think i 'insisted on' my current desk location which is balls - it was told that was my desk when i started there

much loss of productive time and morale in the general direction of the plug hole

View attachment 198276
A contentious topic for sure, desk moves. There's always someone who thinks they're'entitled' to a certain desk.

existentialist

Fabulous shoes
see also decoy organisation charts when there's a re-disorganisation on the go...
I wrote a fake news article about Islington when it transpired that my (then) employer was considering a move there. By the time it entered circulation, there was a fairly solid body of belief in quite a lot of its utterly false information. Oh, how we laughed :D

equationgirl

My manager still hasn’t really indicated he has any interest in managing me.

I’m getting quite comfy really and just getting on quite well engaging with work from rest of dept.

Could get used to this.
I'm super jealous. I've gone from having a manager in the office one day a week to one who seems to want to monitor everything.

planetgeli

There's no future in England's dreaming
Spill the beans mate. It will probably be hear warming :)
Honestly mate, its no more than refusing to be walked over and standing up for basic rights. In the past it was probably called work-to-rule. All I did was walked out at our allotted finishing time when management were trying to make us stay for an extra half hour unpaid overtime. But no other twat dare do it. They're probably still there now, or would be if management asked them to be. I was the only one who 'dared' to do this. Fucking spinelessness pisses me off. As you can probably tell from the language.

UnderAnOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
Honestly mate, its no more than refusing to be walked over and standing up for basic rights. In the past it was probably called work-to-rule. All I did was walked out at our allotted finishing time when management were trying to make us stay for an extra half hour unpaid overtime. But no other twat dare do it. They're probably still there now, or would be if management asked them to be. I was the only one who 'dared' to do this. Fucking spinelessness pisses me off. As you can probably tell from the language.
Fair play to you. I seem to remember you also work with intresting young people?

I've been doing agency now for a while, I do find it really interesting looking in from outside and because people can't pull that kind of shit.

planetgeli

There's no future in England's dreaming
Fair play to you. I seem to remember you also work with intresting young people?

I've been doing agency now for a while, I do find it really interesting looking in from outside and because people can't pull that kind of shit.
Yep, PRU. Like breaking up fights (and caring for the little fuckers*) doesn't make the day long and hard enough as it is.

PS Extra half hour was staff meeting, delayed through incompetence.

PPS * term of endearment

Reno

The In Kraut
I’ve now worked at the reception of the Berlin LGBT+ center for nearly seven months. Generally I enjoy the work, my main complaint still is shifts and locations. We are four in our team, one of us is the supervisor and we work in two locations. One location is a lot nicer to work in than the other and as the nicer location has longer opening hours, that one has two shifts and I think most of us prefer the early shift there. We work a 30 hour week. Our supervisor does the roster and of course he gives himself most of the best shifts. He works three to four early shifts a week at the nice location and one day at the not so nice one, because otherwise it’s a bit too obvious. I get one of my preferred early, nice location shifts once every two weeks now, but recently he has started texting me shortly before those, asking to switch shifts, so I’ll be on a late again. I just got another text like that (it’s Sunday!) for tomorrow and I’m annoyed.

I’ve been very good, always agreeing to shift changes or longer hours at the last minute, but I’m getting a little fed up with this and it affects how happy I am at work. The less nice location means an 8.5 hour day, for me a longer journey, more difficult clients, some coworkers who are divas, a tatty building, general chaos and poor infrastructure. There we have to do a lot of extra work which isn’t really part of a receptionists job, despite the fact that we don’t get paid more for it. The nice location is a 6 hour day with a technician and a housekeeper and 15 minutes from me. The work there is a lot more interesting too and coworkers are nicer. The early shifts at the nice location are busy but I enjoy that, the late shifts can be boring, because after 4pm not much happens.

I know from our manager that our supervisor is supposed to divide the shifts fairly, but she never checks them herself.

I haven’t answered my supervisor’s text yet. I was on probation for the first six months. I passed with flying colors, nobody has any complaints and I appear to be well liked. My contract currently is for one year. If I pass the first year, I get an unlimited contract, which makes it harder for them to fire me. I’m tempted to bring up the shift allocations with my supervisor, but he’s not always the most insightful, reasonable or rational of people and I’m wary of a confrontation.

Should I just stick it out till I’ve finished my year or bring this up now ? Having been self employed for most of my life, the politics of being employed are new to me.

Last edited:

Pickman's model

every man and every woman is a star
I’ve now worked at the reception of the Berlin LGBT+ center for nearly seven months. Generally I enjoy the work, my main complaint still is shifts and locations. We are four in our team, one of us is the supervisor and we work in two locations. One location is a lot nicer to work in than the other and as the nicer location has longer opening hours, that one has two shifts and I think most of us prefer the early shift there. We work a 30 hour week. Our supervisor does the roster and of course he gives himself most of the best shifts. He works three to four early shifts a week at the nice location and one day at the not so nice one, because otherwise it’s a bit too obvious. I get one of my preferred early, nice location shifts once every two weeks now, but recently he has started texting me shortly before those, asking I’d switch shifts. I just got another text like that now (Sunday!) for tomorrow and I’m annoyed.

I’ve been very good, always agreeing to shift changes or longer hours at the last minute, but I’m getting a little fed up with this and it affects how happy I am at work. The less nice location means an 8.5 hour day, for me a longer journey, more difficult clients, some coworkers who are divas, a tatty building, general barely contained chaos and poor infrastructure. There we have to do a lot of extra work which aren’t really part of a receptionists job, despite the fact that we don’t get paid more for it. The nice location is a 6 hour day with a technician and a housekeeper and 15 minutes from me. The work there is a lot more interesting too and coworkers are nicer.

I know from our manager that our supervisor is supposed to divide the shifts fairly, but she never checks them herself.

I haven’t answered my supervisor’s text yet. I was on probation for the first six months. I passed with flying colors, nobody has any complaints and I appear to be well liked. My contract currently is for one year. If you pass the first year, you get an unlimited contract, which makes it harder for them to fire you. I’m tempted to bring up the shift allocations with my supervisor, but he’s not always the most insightful or reasonable of people and I’m wary of a confrontation.

Should I just stick it out till I’ve finished my year or bring this up now ? Having been self employed for most of my life, the politics of being employed are new to me.
Talk to someone from your union

Reno

The In Kraut
I’ve answered him by now, saying I’d do the late shift it it is an emergency, but if not I‘d prefer to stick with the early shift. He had to admit that it wasn’t an emergency. Honestly, the cheek of it. He gave himself most of the best shifts and gave me for once one and then on a Sunday he texts me that he wants that one as well. :(

equationgirl

I’ve answered him by now, saying I’d do the late shift it it is an emergency, but if not I‘d prefer to stick with the early shift. He had to admit that it wasn’t an emergency. Honestly, the cheek of it. He gave himself most of the best shifts and gave me for once one and then on a Sunday he texts me that he wants that one as well. :(
Quite right. If he's giving himself most of the best shifts anyway then to try to take the decent one you have is a bit out of order.

Mrs Miggins

There's been a slight cheese accident
Given he texted you on a Sunday Reno, I would have left it until about 9pm to reply saying you've only just seen the text and you've planned the rest of your day already around the shift that you were originally given. Bloody cheek.

I always used to ignore texts sent to me on the weekend until last thing Sunday evening. They soon stopped bothering.

mx wcfc

We've just been told we have to take our laptops home with us every evening now, due to the coronavirus thing. Truth is, I do so quite often anyway, normally so I can work from home the following day. Like I am today. :thumbs: