Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

work frustrations

muscovyduck

too school for cool
Okay, so!

I mentioned a couple guys in the office next door way back when on this thread. The one guy has grown on me and I'm willing to accept we just got off on the wrong foot. However, power-grabby guy is becoming a massive problem and this is definitely going to become a 'thing' :rolleyes:

I've been defending my boundaries, shutting him down if he starts a conversation to try to walk me into talking about specific non-work things I am not interested or do not have the time to talk about. I've been turning down his requests to spend time together outside work increasingly bluntly.

He's responded to this by trying to police my interactions with other people, including coming into my office to tell another male colleague to leave and "stop acting like a creep" with absolutely no reason to do so! I messaged this other man afterwards to smooth things over and tell him he was always welcome - me and this other man have spent a combine 15 minutes chatting since I started there and through this he's saved my budget about £600. I suspect I lost a couple hundred quid by not being able to finish that last conversation.

I also had my manager come to speak to me seemingly completely out of the blue about not feeling pressured into a decision about a role we may or may not open for someone, who would have to be based in my office. It's her/my final decision whether we go ahead or not and has been a slow burning topic for discussion since I got there, but it sounds like power-grabby has blabbed to a very young female 'friend' of his about the potential opening because my manager mentioned that the young woman had registered an interest for jobs in the building after talks with power-grabby and that this had triggered our conversation. The day after I find this out, he came in with her to my second job to try and introduce her to me!

Power-grabby has also tried to convince me to 'work together' to try and nab a project that comes with a hefty extra bit of budget (we dont work as a team or department we just have similar jobs) but I think he's assumed I said no to him because I can't cope with extra work (based on the potential new role discussions). I have been quietly fighting like a dog for this project and out of the both of us it should get given to me if one of us gets it, it's just none of his business so I'm looking forward to what happens if it does get thrown in my direction

I'm going to have to start keeping a diary of his behaviour and allowing him space to dig his own grave because this does not look like it's going away on its own :facepalm:

equationgirl

Respect my existence or expect my resistance
Okay, so!

I mentioned a couple guys in the office next door way back when on this thread. The one guy has grown on me and I'm willing to accept we just got off on the wrong foot. However, power-grabby guy is becoming a massive problem and this is definitely going to become a 'thing' :rolleyes:

I've been defending my boundaries, shutting him down if he starts a conversation to try to walk me into talking about specific non-work things I am not interested or do not have the time to talk about. I've been turning down his requests to spend time together outside work increasingly bluntly.

He's responded to this by trying to police my interactions with other people, including coming into my office to tell another male colleague to leave and "stop acting like a creep" with absolutely no reason to do so! I messaged this other man afterwards to smooth things over and tell him he was always welcome - me and this other man have spent a combine 15 minutes chatting since I started there and through this he's saved my budget about £600. I suspect I lost a couple hundred quid by not being able to finish that last conversation.

I also had my manager come to speak to me seemingly completely out of the blue about not feeling pressured into a decision about a role we may or may not open for someone, who would have to be based in my office. It's her/my final decision whether we go ahead or not and has been a slow burning topic for discussion since I got there, but it sounds like power-grabby has blabbed to a very young female 'friend' of his about the potential opening because my manager mentioned that the young woman had registered an interest for jobs in the building after talks with power-grabby and that this had triggered our conversation. The day after I find this out, he came in with her to my second job to try and introduce her to me!

Power-grabby has also tried to convince me to 'work together' to try and nab a project that comes with a hefty extra bit of budget (we dont work as a team or department we just have similar jobs) but I think he's assumed I said no to him because I can't cope with extra work (based on the potential new role discussions). I have been quietly fighting like a dog for this project and out of the both of us it should get given to me if one of us gets it, it's just none of his business so I'm looking forward to what happens if it does get thrown in my direction

I'm going to have to start keeping a diary of his behaviour and allowing him space to dig his own grave because this does not look like it's going away on its own :facepalm:
He sounds like a nightmare. Letting him hang himself is probably the best idea.

equationgirl

You may all remember I posted about the person massaging the junior admin at our Christmas meal. I was chatting with her and she said the massage made her feel quite uncomfortable so she was glad when he was made to massage someone else.

I will be keeping a watchful eye on the person concerned from now on.

likesfish

an angry pretend soldier shooting at seagulls
I just got an email that we are now out of contract for uniform and no more will be provided until next winter!!!!
still haven't been issued any officially got what was hanging around stores.
so no nonslip boots.
My one pair of trousers are falling to bits but got 4 pairs of dog handler combats trousers I'm not supposed to wear 😁

likesfish

Got a phonecall this morning why aren't you at work ?
I'm in sheppy on the two week functional skills course you sent me on.
Emailed my supervisor they forgotten about me.
Odd thing is I've been here ten days, if the rota hasn't been updated somebody should have noticed In wasn't at work earlier?
It's a prison that sort of thing should be picked up

ruffneck23

front left
Not so much a frustration with my current job, but Ive been head hunted ( I think as I cant ever remember applying for it ) for a job I think I could do.

BUT 1 x 1 hour telephone technical interview, back in November
1 x 4 hour video call interview yesterday
Another 1 hour video call interview next Weds

Is a bit much methinks

It better be worth it

StoneRoad

heckling from the back!
Not so much a frustration with my current job, but Ive been head hunted ( I think as I cant ever remember applying for it ) for a job I think I could do.

BUT 1 x 1 hour telephone technical interview, back in November
1 x 4 hour video call interview yesterday
Another 1 hour video call interview next Weds

Is a bit much methinks

It better be worth it
Four hours ? that's a long video call.
IME most face to face interviews are about an hour, maybe a bit longer for a senior post with a panel doing the interview and having to do a short presentation.

ruffneck23

front left
Four hours ? that's a long video call.
IME most face to face interviews are about an hour, maybe a bit longer for a senior post with a panel doing the interview and having to do a short presentation.
It was split between 4 people but all on the same bridge, I've never experienced that kind of interview in all my 48 years... cant have gone too badly as was almost immediately called about the final video call.

But who knows, I thought id done appallingly at the technical interview

StoneRoad

heckling from the back!
Still trying to write up a couple of "tenders" - doing the calculations is an arse ...

And you can spend a lot of time getting them just right, and all for nothing ( still bitter about one last year when all we were used for was to force a price down ) I'm going to start charging potential clients.

Chz

Stark Raving Sane
It was split between 4 people but all on the same bridge, I've never experienced that kind of interview in all my 48 years... cant have gone too badly as was almost immediately called about the final video call.

But who knows, I thought id done appallingly at the technical interview
I'm always told that I underappreciate how awful the rest of the people were in the technical interview. I mean, I'm good at what I do but it doesn't come out well in a technical interview because my brain doesn't work that way. So I'm astonished when they tell me I was the best of the lot, even before they decided to give it to me on the "yes, but I can actually imagine working with that candidate" basis.
(The joy of IT - if you're even halfway personable then you've outcharmed the rest of the applicants)

likesfish

Prison officer isn't that hard to get into come across as a non criminal humane individual that is prepared to enforce the rules and you can run for over a minute and your in.
Surprisingly high failure rate.

Unfortunately the drop rate once trained is horrific.
Out of 12 who finished training we've already lost one.

a_chap

When the world came apart, where were you?
Is this a record?

I'm starting a new job - but not until Monday - and "work frustrations" are already starting!

There's the small matter of them not telling me which office I'm supposed to go to on Monday; regional office or head office? And I don't even know what time I'm due to start!

I've e-mailed my soon-to-be-manager twice but received neither a reply nor acknowledgement.

This doesn't bode well...

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
Prison officer isn't that hard to get into come across as a non criminal humane individual that is prepared to enforce the rules and you can run for over a minute and your in.
Surprisingly high failure rate.

Unfortunately the drop rate once trained is horrific.
Out of 12 who finished training we've already lost one.
I used to do temp admin work in a prison and about 1/3 of the POs were on long term sick.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
I'm always told that I underappreciate how awful the rest of the people were in the technical interview. I mean, I'm good at what I do but it doesn't come out well in a technical interview because my brain doesn't work that way. So I'm astonished when they tell me I was the best of the lot, even before they decided to give it to me on the "yes, but I can actually imagine working with that candidate" basis.
(The joy of IT - if you're even halfway personable then you've outcharmed the rest of the applicants)
I find it hard to remember that what I think of as "talking bollocks about computers with the interviewer" is actually "demonstrating underlying comprehension of technology, industry standards, and best working practice" and that it's not the same as if I'd just left university and was talking bollocks then.

What I find even harder to understand is how I can go and talk bollocks about computers to people who don't know about computers, not have to do any of the work, and get paid a shitload for it, as long as I call myself a "consultant".

extra dry

Happy to be here
Is this a record?

I'm starting a new job - but not until Monday - and "work frustrations" are already starting!

There's the small matter of them not telling me which office I'm supposed to go to on Monday; regional office or head office? And I don't even know what time I'm due to start!

I've e-mailed my soon-to-be-manager twice but received neither a reply nor acknowledgement.

Sure it wasn't a dream...

oryx

Sitting on the bock of the day
Is this a record?

:D but also :rolleyes:

When I started my last but one job, I was all ready to start but they delayed my start date at the last minute as my manager's colleague was off. This sounds crazy, but it turned out eventually that my manager was utterly clueless and relied on this guy for everything. In my case, this didn't bode well...hope your situation is better!

TBF they did pay me for the week or two I was waiting to start.

Is this a record?

i can feel a :facepalm: coming on...

Almor

Is this a record?

That beats my last job, it took 30-40 minutes for me to start worrying, a week to firm up my concerns and almost a month for the horror to dawn on me :-/

I hate phoning people and think email's great for things like this where you can check back if you get nervous, but some managers I've had have been funny about email communication (druids?), maybe you need to phone someone?

a_chap

When the world came apart, where were you?
a_chap have you tried speaking to someone in HR?
That was going to be my very last resort. Going to HR would effectively be me saying "my new manager's not done his job properly" which is how to get things off on the wrong foot.

Having not heard anything, I emailed my soon-to-be-manager again this morning. Had a prompt reply back from someone else with all the info I need and the surprise news that my soon-to-be-manager is actually going to be someone else entirely...

StoneRoad

heckling from the back!
That was going to be my very last resort. Going to HR would effectively be me saying "my new manager's not done his job properly" which is how to get things off on the wrong foot.

Having not heard anything, I emailed my soon-to-be-manager again this morning. Had a prompt reply back from someone else with all the info I need and the surprise news that my soon-to-be-manager is actually going to be someone else entirely...
which probably explains why there wasn't much response to your earlier communications ...

equationgirl

Not necessarily, sometimes HR are responsible for new starts, and organising them, so asking them in a 'oh I haven't heard anything yet' way can get results.

Interesting how you have a new line manager though, hopefully they will work out.