work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. muscovyduck

muscovyduck too school for cool

Christ these people put me on edge

equationgirl likes this.
  2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

3. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Oh, it's a thread for me. Rapidly deteriorating situation at work with my partner (who also works there) looking like he's going to end up bringing a disability discrimination case against our employers. I've just managed the shop with only me and a pretty junior member of staff for three days (opening and closing, cashing up, all the usual duty manager stuff). I'm not a manager but I've been given nine management shifts this month. I've got over twenty years of experience and frankly phenomenal cosmic knowledge of my actual role but I could be earning 50p an hour more cleaning schools for the council. I think I might have had enough :(

4. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Welcome to the thread weepiper happy to support via pm about the disability discrimination stuff if you need it.

It's not on that they expect you to be the manager without paying you the proper rate. Have you asked anyone about getting paid a manager rate for those shifts? Is it jyst expected you will do it without question?

A shit situation all round :(

weepiper likes this.
  5. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

It's just expected. I got promoted to senior mechanic a while ago but I was meant to be in charge of the workshop, not the whole shop. I haven't got a single shift all month where I'm just in the workshop which makes being in charge of it quite difficult (I'm having to either split my time between workshop and sales floor or manage another mechanic from the sales floor). I need to read the detail of the employee handbook but as far as I can see I'm acting up in partner's absence and doing the deputy manager role on those days but not getting paid for it.

muscovyduck likes this.
  6. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure to put this in here or things that have pissed you off but our wonderful HR department has supplied colouring books to mark World Mental Health Day. Nothing else, just some colouring books and a blog post that says "talk, its as simple as that".

Given our charity for the year is a mental health one, I expected a bit more.

MickiQ, kalidarkone and muscovyduck like this.
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

not even anything to colour with? that's really shit

8. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Last night I did some updates*, more to do today (of another sort).

*The program I used can be a right arse at times - a bit counter-intuitive.
    Today it will be somewhat repetitive, although the end result should be fine (the process is the problem, the data is interesting).

Also I have to go and "kick arse" in the workshop. (the usual suspect) which I will do late morning and then come back to the "boring" updates. I really should do them more often !

equationgirl likes this.
  9. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

That's pretty awful.

Could you make more money doing private work. Was quite suprised how much some of the guys I worked with over the summer where able to make servicing expensive bikes for people who didn't really have a clue about what they had bought.

10. equationgirl

Yes, that's not on, and to a certain extent they know you'll just do it so are taking advantage of your good nature. I have done acting up stuff before, and did get some extra money for it, but it took a lot of pushing from me to get the extra payment (not a huge amount, but I did it for a year singlehandedly, so it did add up).

Who is next up the chain? You should raise it with them first, lay out how much extra responsibility you're taking on and how much they owe you. Part of me wonders how much they're making this your problem because he's your partner, iyswim.

11. equationgirl

Yeah, that's tokenism for sure. I'd make a point of colouring openly in the office.

12. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely. I'm planning on having a good half hour doing some colouring this afternoon.

MickiQ and equationgirl like this.
  13. equationgirl

Are you colouring yet? I can recommend the 'swear cat' colouring books for much stress relief and amusement.

MickiQ likes this.
  14. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Oh not yet, had to have my full lunch hour first. Im off to do my "mindful colouring" now! Doesn't look like we've got exciting colouring books though.

Also I should add, having suggested it to them ages ago, HR are now offering the Mental Health First Aid course. They emailed the office a few months ago asking who was interested and I must have been the first to reply. Didn't hear anything so chased it up. Still didn't hear anything. It was mentioned in the blog post today so I emailed that HR person first thing asking if the selection process was still happening or if I'd missed out. Still no response.

15. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

my employers have tweeted something for mental health day about how they value and support all their staff to keep them happy and healthy

[​IMG]

16. equationgirl

Yeah, I have no doubt my previous employer will have done something similar on LinkedIn.

muscovyduck likes this.
  17. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

also got shown something on the interweb, a former (left before i went there) colleague who set his pissed-off-ness with the organisation to music and put the resulting song on you tube

:eek:

equationgirl likes this.
  18. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

So I've not been paid this week. We were told a couple of months ago that the agency employing us would change, sort of. We were still to be contracted by randstad but now our timesheets etc would be handled by a company called giant, who outsourced the work to a company called cielo. It would make things simpler we were told. Last week we finally got access to the actual portal that we input the timesheets into, we were told that would be all we needed to do and nothing else would change. The only purpose of this was to consolidate the process and the authoriser would only need to do it once for giant and it would all be so simple.

Yesterday I phoned randstad payroll to be told that nope, they hadn't received a timesheet or authorisation and nope, we were not going to be paid. We kicked off massively and after a day of being given the run around and being told various things. I finally get hold of our agent in randstad to be told that the reason we hadn't been paid was that we hadn't filled out the timesheet with randstad as well as giant. I gave him a piece of my mind, I've now been assured that they are going to "fast track" it and we will definitely be paid today, they have put this like they are doing me a massive favour and it's going to cost them to do a same day transfer. I pointed out that as far as I'm concerned they have one purpose, and that it making sure I get paid for the work I do and I don't care how much it costs.

We'll see if I get paid today, luckily my landlord is great and is happy to wait another week for the rent.

19. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

You known how frustrating it can be when you have to let some things slide as other things are *more* important, you then feel left in the lurch (or are actually dumped in the 5h1te) and try desperately to find alternatives for these more important things, as well as catch up with the things you had to leave on the back-burner (and nothing seems to work properly with the software ) ?

That sums up my day / week at the moment !

equationgirl and muscovyduck like this.
  20. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

So for 2.5 years I have been working in recovery as a senior health care assistant. From the start I was trained to take patients with an airway and support them to expell it. And take handover from the anaesthetist and scrub nurse. Monitering, pain assessment, liason with nurses, and doctors. Taking patients back to the ward and handover to a nurse and discharge day case patients including giving post op care and health and safety advice to the patient and the person receiving them. So my role has been fairly autonomous. This has now changed because of safety and accountability- which is fair enough as it's the registered practioner that takes the rap if anything goes wrong.

The changes mean that when I receive a patient a registered nurse/practioner will also have to be present for handover and until the patient is maintaining their airway. I can only take a patient to the wArd if the the registered staff have handed over on the phone first.
    I can only discharge day case patients if registered staff have authorised it electronically.

Logistically this is going to be an absolute fucking nightmare because there is simply not enough registered staff for the volume of recovery patients.
    There are tons of newly qualified unexperienced nurses that will burn out and leave even faster then previously.

Despite the expectations of us senior health care assistants we are now obliged to say no.
    I am predicting a massive delay in patients:
    Being handed over to the ward.
    Being discharged home from day surgery.
    Being cared for safely.
    More registered staff leaving or working for an agency.
    I'm hoping that these changes will show up the shit and understaffed management practices blatantly.

Anyway I'm just getting my head round the 'adjustment'.

mx wcfc, equationgirl and muscovyduck like this.
  21. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

A colleague has come into work on their day off just to hang out. Is it just me or is that absolutely insane?

22. equationgirl

Just a couple of minor things, all my work stuff (laptop, power cable etc) has gone out of pat test. The admin gave only a few days notice of the testing and managed to pick one of the weeks I'm working from home. Gave some excuse as the company hadn't gotten back to her in time with dates.

Also some minor dickheadedness from someone so had to get CEO involved as they were cutting across my role and responsibilities and certainly had no mandate to do so, although I'm sure it will be presented to the CEO as 'just trying to help'.

Let's see what this week brings...

23. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Mine(well actually company I'm contracting at) had a cake sale in the canteen where you stuck a donation (monetary) in a bucket and got to choose a piece of cake.
    I had lime flavoured carrot cake which tasted fabulous, it had been homemade by someone and donated rather than bought from Costco.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  24. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

My crazy colleague has invited herself to my house next weekend to help me paint my bedroom.
    Over my dead fucking body :D

FridgeMagnet, equationgirl and 5t3IIa like this.
  25. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

26. equationgirl

That's perhaps a little bit much, kind of her but a bit of an overstep.

27. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

She'd need the proper safety equipment.

[​IMG]

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  28. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

See I feel bad because it is kind but it is one hell of an of an overstep! She was pushing me on what time she should come and I hadn't even said yes.

29. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

Ahem.
    [​IMG]

30. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

This person has no boundaries. If you let her set foot in your home, you will only have to fight even harder to push her back. Don't do it - be rude if you have to, because with someone like this, you're going to end up having to be rude eventually, so you might as well get it over with sooner, when there's less at stake.