work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

One simply says 'it's just a joke' when challenged.

muscovyduck and Pickman's model like this.
  2. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

For me soon as someone says 'banter' I suspect they're a dick. And they generally are.

3. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Fuck, but I hate my job. It's a tech startup and I'm pretty much the most senior technical woman there.

I've worked in male dominated environments for the last 25 years but the sexism in this place is eye opening. But hey, it's all so fucking cool and trendy obvs no-one seems to notice all the bollocks. Apart of course for the women who work there. (A more junior female colleague raised with the head of HR a particular and v obviously sexist incident and was basically told she should've 'leaned in'. :mad:. FFS.)

Various reasons I should stay there a bit longer but I'm on the verge of fucking it off every single day. FFS.

4. equationgirl

I understand where you are coming from. I work in a tech company as well and am also the most senior technical woman. We don't have an HR department but I am fortunate in that the people I work with (barring two exceptions) lovely, kind men who treat their female colleagues with respect and fairness.

Is there anyone more senior than the HR person that you can speak to about this behaviour, or is it endemic because of the managers?

5. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Someone in my organisation made a comment related to someone's ethnicity. They raised a grievance which we upheld. The excuse was that it was a joke. The person concerned is getting a written warning. I was pleased that the management of the firm was united in this. They are not the most PC bunch but took this very seriously.

muscovyduck, equationgirl and mx wcfc like this.
  6. equationgirl

Yeah, the excuse is always that's it is a joke. Well done on your firm for taking this issue seriously. Most heartening to hear.

muscovyduck and Winot like this.
  7. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Agreed. Winot & equationgirl
    Far too often these things get "swept under the carpet" or the person complaining / the victim is further victimised.

Winot and equationgirl like this.
  8. equationgirl

We had an all staff email reminding people to do some training by the end of the month. Instead of talking about how the training helps the company meet its legal obligations and reduces data protection breaches, the admin says that people who haven't done the training yet as 'naughty' :rolleyes::facepalm:

Which makes me just want to fuck it off to be honest.

StoneRoad likes this.
  9. StoneRoad

Bah !
    Trying to get another client to make / communicate a decision.
    Not having the information is now holding up their project.

Still haven't heard about the next potential project, and I've got a horrible suspicion that the money grabbing cnuts aka landlord is about to shove the rent up. We can't afford for anymore to be added into the rent / overheads, if they do that then someone might have to leave.

10. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

They tried to make me sign a birthday card for a boss who is not admired or respected. They also tried to get me (well, not just me) to sing happy birthday to them in this morning's meeting. I had to leave as it was a bit much. I think I'll get carpeted for it. They think I'm a miserable bastard. I am, but that shouldn't be held against me. I sometimes need to leave situations cos I'm afraid of having a panic attack. That includes a room with too many people who are all talking at once.

11. equationgirl

That's a bit crap, fingers crossed the landlord doesn't put it up.

12. StoneRoad

Thanks equationgirl

I'm getting more than frustrated with various organisations not replying to emails and calls, and the usual suspects in the workshop are also annoying me (like tools getting broken when nobody's been using them).

It doesn't help that I ate something dodgy a couple of days ago and the low air pressure is making the TN play up a bit.

equationgirl likes this.
  13. StoneRoad

By the way, this has been going on for some time, that is - several weeks at least !
    (and it is not just me that has been attempting to get the info).
    I found out earlier today that this main contact is on leave all next week ...

and at nearly 17:30 on a Friday I still haven't had my expected reply !

14. equationgirl

It's frustrating, isn't it?

StoneRoad likes this.
  15. StoneRoad

Yep, and it plays merryhell with any sort of forward work and financial planning.

equationgirl likes this.
  16. Epona

Epona Down with battered parsnips

I am mentoring/training 13/14 year olds next week, I haven't worked with youngsters before - I will be with other experienced mentors, but I am really nervous - I fear the trainees will detect that and eat me alive :oops:

Any tips would be useful

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  17. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 front left

Back at Heathrow airport, fucking hate it, not said a word to anyone all day so far, will be here until end of Thursday, its really getting me down :(

equationgirl and Pickman's model like this.
  18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

now and again birthday cards come round but it's up to the individual if they sign them. i think i'd resign from anywhere which made me sing happy birthday to a manager whether or not i liked them

equationgirl and ruffneck23 like this.
  19. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

no chance of duty free? :(

20. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 front left

Not got an airside pass yet , but maybe in the future, however I’m so on the brink of quitting it may not be soon enough lol

21. Marty1

Marty1 Well-Known Member

I have social anxiety, hence why I do the job I currently do (courier) as I work alone throughout the day.

Only time I’m with a large group of people is with other drivers in the morning as we meet up at an Industrial Estate near works depot waiting for group text to start work, which is usually ok as we just joke about but on the odd occasion it can be unbearable if the mood is low due to whinging about the job so I just go and sit in my van and mess about on the internet.

22. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

How would you politely convey that processes don't appear to have been set up completely, training is sparse and that fault for any issues would lie with that and changing goal posts rather than with the employee. Asking for a friend and I may edit this for them so don't quote, ta :hmm:

23. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Bastard millennial clients who sign stuff, then take a photo of it and email that back to me so we have to fart around trying to print it so we can stitch it into a pdf doc to send off to the man. Bastards. Actually bastards.

(I’m a barstatd, technically speaking, but I actually exclaimed at work today, loudly and with feeling “fuck you. Actually fucking fuck you”.

equationgirl likes this.
  24. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

i hope the MD didn't translate my "can I go away and think about this in a bit more detail?" as "this latest idea of yours is a great steaming pile of fail" today...

equationgirl and mx wcfc like this.
  25. equationgirl

I did send a somewhat terse email today.

I've been given a big project to support. There's a consultant supposed to be doing it but he's slopey shouldered it onto me and another person. It's detailed and time-consuming and involves lawyers and short deadlines. So I am mostly tied up with that. Which the consultant knows.

He sent in a document request on Thursday, and I told him it would be Monday at least before I got to it due to aforementioned project. He sends multiple reminders and in the end I have to stop the biig project work, do his fucking document for him, and go back to big project.

He sends another email, copying in one of the directors, reminding me again about the document and how he needs it TODAY.

So I send a carefully worded email pointing out my current priorities, that he's only given a few days notice, he needs to give at least a week's notice and why didn't he, given he's been working on the thing he needs the document for for over a month.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

Not impressed.

muscovyduck likes this.
  26. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

and then of course he's going to bill your employers for getting you to do this for him...

muscovyduck likes this.
  27. equationgirl

You know it...

28. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Update on my ever-spouting colleague....everyone is hugely busy so nobody is talking and everyone is ignorning her - not in a mean way - we are just all heads down working. She's doing that attention seeking thing of sort of crashing around, making noise, rearranging things, cleaning her desk, making statements out loud about what she's doing. It's getting quite comical. If still bloody annoying.

muscovyduck and equationgirl like this.
  29. equationgirl

My minion mutters to himself when he's concentrating.

Used to work with people like that Mrs Miggins, fucking annoying. Like badly behaved four year olds.

muscovyduck and Mrs Miggins like this.
  30. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Honestly!! And she seems to be really taking offence now that nobody is talking to her. It's hilarious :D

Pickman's model and equationgirl like this.