work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

Quite honestly he thought he was being kind i think :facepalm:

2. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

He probably did. Which is, in a way, worse...

muscovyduck and Poot like this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

the greatest frustration today is actually having to do some work

MickiQ and equationgirl like this.
  4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat That's Puddy Tat Esq to you

hmm

may be covered by this bit of HSE guidance.

and may depend on what's 'reasonable' in law - a 2 person seating area if there's 4 staff sharing it might be considered reasonable. for 20+ staff it quite possibly isn't.

a lot of places don't really have anywhere separate, but if my memory serves right, you're in a public environment so eating at your desk probably isn't an option.

as ever, suggestion would be talk to your union rep...

Libertad, muscovyduck and Orang Utan like this.
  5. Puddy_Tat

another

ctrl-alt-meow.jpg

day.

crap system i use at work is kinda fragile - stuff is on a central server, but it's held on your local PC, then sent back to server when you log out, not when you press 'save'.

yesterday afternoon's work seems not to have gone back to server and it's not kept a temporary file on my PC.

i ended today slightly further back in a project than i ended the previous day.

blaaaaaaaaaargh

6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

it's not the seating area - it's the kitchen - it's just too cosy for comfort. i find it oppressive and have to leave if other people come in while i'm getting my dinner ready or making a coffee.
    also i spend my working day surrounded by noisy people and talking to people all day, so i want the opposite on my breaks.

7. Puddy_Tat

:(

you could always start talking to them about religion (probably best if you make one up) when you're on breaks...

:p

8. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

New person in the Admin team....oh my god she just talks and talks and talks and talks and talks and talks and talks. Talks over everyone. Talks when we are obviously really busy. Talks all the time.

9. Pickman's model

maybe she doesn't have many other conversation outlets. we've a new colleague (well, new to us, redeployed from another library) who talks a lot and i've found out a lot about his life - rather more than i desired to know - by ill-advisedly entering into conversation. nothing weird or perverse, sadly: i just think he hasn't many other people to talk to.

10. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Ha !
    He's staying, with a commitment to actually do a full week or make time up ... in exchange for a tiny increase in pay (taken out of the tools budget for the job he's working on). Makes me think this "other job" didn't really exist.
    Still trying to get the clueless one out of there.

ion.(I)
    Client and a friend died at the end of August, funeral is later this morning.
    ion (ii)
    Still haven't got a follow on project lined up (one that actually has funding) so still looking at prospective projects.

11. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

That's a very kind view! I think this woman is just a talker. She's a lovely woman but I do wish she wouldn't keep talking at me when I am on the phone to someone and/or clearly in the middle of a lot of stuff.

She's aso got 15 ideas every day as to how we should be doing things differently. Despite being with us for about 2 weeks so far :facepalm::D

12. Pickman's model

thanks for reminding me to reply to an email :oops:

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  13. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

A cafe has been installed in my place of work and it's right next to one the desks I work at. They are making some delicacy that involves shitloads of garlic and now the whole place and my clothes stink of garlic. I'd complain to my union but they're shit and would probably not do owt. Last time I spoke to them they sided with management, demonstrating a complete lack of awareness of what their function is.

14. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

It's always annoying when somebody without the organisation history comes along and says 'why don't we do it this way?'. There's usually very good reasons for not changing.

Get her to write all the ideas down. She might realise they're non-starters when she sees them in black and white.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  15. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Should be in my dream job but feeling a bit ergh about it.

I don't know if it's me but I seem to have issues fitting into teams when not doing service monkey work. Management is always very hands off and I'm left to my own devices pretty much instantly.

It's been the pattern for the last couple of post service desk/desktop support roles.

I don't mind being left to my own devices but I do need some direction and ideas of duty but that's always lacking. Then of course I get moaned at because I've got fuck all to do.

Give me stuff guys.

I'm probably just irate because one of the things I am focusing on here is SharePoint and MS Flow and that is an absolute pain in the arse. I've spent most of day trying to get something working but it turns out MS doesn't support generating certain things dynamically. You know, to actually automate processes like they say they do.

Bastards.

equationgirl and muscovyduck like this.
  16. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

The new snazzy printer at work which doesn't do staples because that apparently cost £1000 more and also doesn't print from the tray I choose from. Oh and if theres no paper in one tray it just goes directly to the next tray, even though all trays have different types of paper in.

It's wasting so much paper and so much of my time at the moment.

muscovyduck likes this.
  17. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

I've been asked to be technical support for our cluster conference in october. At the beginning it was just that I would be there to answer technical questions in the prep meetings. This has morphed into finding 70 ipads, charging, updating, setting backgrounds and enrolling them. Then working with a 3rd party company who are making an app for the conference making sure that all the delegates can log in etc. Then logging the app in for all 70 ipads individually.

Then for my sins, I have to go to the conference a day early to make sure it all works, so I have to listen to the speeches etc twice. What's worse is that I'm driving up there and back so won't be able to get plastered because I have to drive home.

So far I'm about half way through the ipads, and the app company hasn't got back to me about any of the questions I had for them.

FML

18. existentialist

A skill I learned only quite late in my IT career was being able to claim uselessness in certain areas. Generally, none of us like to do that, even more so within IT, but it is so often a trap. I got so fed up of constantly being asked to fix Windows issues back in the day, that I'd regretfully say "I'm very sorry, all my work is on big iron - servers, websites, and the like. I don't really do Windows". It wasn't true, but it was the only way to stop people expecting you to suddenly drop into place and be a full-scale Windows server admin or similar.

muscovyduck and equationgirl like this.
  19. equationgirl

Have you got the manual for it? Not the short one issued by IT or whoever but the full version issued by the manufacturer. That can be helpful in situations like this.

Annoying though, especially if you're not sat near and only find out after the job is finished.

muscovyduck and KatyF like this.
  20. existentialist

Yeah - it is quite likely that there is a setting for "Use this paper tray AND NO OTHER, DAMMIT :mad:", which would resolve one of the heartaches.

muscovyduck, equationgirl and KatyF like this.
  21. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

ops team at work reckon it's going to take an hour to swap the equipment on my desk with the person on the next desk. lol

i used to work on a helpdesk and moved an entire office practically on my own one time and also i work in IT so i know full well it'll take 10 mins tops apart from me having wierd monitor brackets which i reckon might take another 10 mins.

22. equationgirl

Do you have a copy of the job description for your role? If not, track a copy down because hopefully it should have some info on your responsibilities. Also, have you had a kick-off meeting with your manager yet? Might be worth setting one up so you ask them explicitly what they want you to focus on to start with.

At a certain level, you're expected to work with more vague instructions and be more proactive about taking the lead.

23. equationgirl

Can you do it yourself?

24. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

not to miss the opportunities for a gossip, cup of tea/coffee and going to the khazi or even to the wrong part of the office first

equationgirl likes this.
  25. Sapphireblue

oh definitely but i'm actually off tomorrow so hopefully i'll come back in monday to find it all done. i'm not sure if i could do the brackets tbf but if they don't do it tomorrow yeah i'll just do it myself monday if i can.
    also the guy is so patronising - told me to make sure i clear my desk of personal stuff. oh really? duh. he's pretty useless actually and a bit of a dick.

equationgirl likes this.
  26. Sapphireblue

we're a software company so we don't even really need a generic ops person, we all know how to do this stuff ourselves. but we're supposed to leave it to him now. this is the guy who took more than a month to get my monitor's at the right height for me (needed to order the brackets) when the office was refurbed.
    he does help out the server / db guy but they sit right behind me and i can hear that he's not really very quick on the uptake for this stuff.

27. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

I've been sent to Heathrow Airport to work this week (think my boss wants me to come over here permanently , aint gonna happen),

Stuck in a small room with 2 people I have nothing in common with so don't speak to anyone all day, im a sociable kind of fella so this is hell for me. Thing is I went for this job as I'm usually based in Gatwick / Crawley , I would never have taken the job if i knew i was going to be based in Heathrow, so im really thinking about going back to contracting , which is a shame as the team I work with in Gatwick are great and we have a good laugh chatting bollox about comic books and gaming.

/rant over

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Pickman's model likes this.
  28. equationgirl

He sounds like a dick, to be honest.

Sapphireblue likes this.
  29. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I used to say "sorry, you must have the wrong person, I don't know anything about web applications, I just herd alpacas." Then any further questions were just replied to with a picture of an alpaca. I had a folder of them.

30. existentialist

:D

I wouldn't have been so brave back then, but I would be, now. I'll probably herd Peruvian Mountain Cats now, and send pictures of rabbits ;) :oldthumbsup:

equationgirl likes this.