work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I don't think a proper briefing is unreasonable. Nor is it unreasonable to know what they want you to do.

mx wcfc likes this.
  2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat That's Puddy Tat Esq to you

ctrl-alt-meow.jpg

kinda sums it up

Chz, mx wcfc, KatyF and 3 others like this.
  3. muscovyduck

muscovyduck too school for cool

Feel like I've left it a bit late towards the end of a contract to try and secure the next lot of work :rolleyes: got a couple of days worth of work I was offered that I might chase down to fill the gap but it'd be nice to know where the rents coming from for a few more months

equationgirl and existentialist like this.
  4. existentialist

existentialist The sausages need an explanation

It's looking quite likely that one of the courses I teach on may not run this year. While in some ways that represents an Opportunity, it also represents 40% of my income, and it's going to be a severe financial blow if that happens. What a dilemma! :)

muscovyduck likes this.
  5. existentialist

Something usually comes up. At least, that's what I tell myself :hmm:

6. muscovyduck

muscovyduck too school for cool

Aye that's how it goes, I can see that I'm being a lot more picky than I used to be with work anyway so it'll be a case of sliding standards until I do find something I reckon

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

my standards slid long ago :(

will work for internet access :(

oryx, Libertad, muscovyduck and 2 others like this.
  8. existentialist

Well, fingers crossed, and keep the faith.

muscovyduck and Pickman's model like this.
  9. equationgirl

muscovyduck and existentialist like this.
  10. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Management are at it again. After the other week's whiteboard cleaning, today we have one of them designing, printing and laminating signs for the hot desks, all because they didn't like the way the receptionist was doing it. I'm so glad they get paid so much money for arts and crafts, whilst I'm barely keeping my head up from under this mountain of work I have.

11. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

More the signs around one at a time.

equationgirl likes this.
  12. equationgirl

It's hard not to feel resentful. I remember having to 'help' my then boss with emails because he was incapable. Hours of my time wasted.

13. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Dropbox. Fck fcking Dropbox. Just email the poxy thing to me you millennial prick.

14. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Attachment: draft_proposal_2019-08-14.docx
    Attachment: draft_proposal_2019-08-14 1.docx
    Attachment: draft_proposal_2019-08-14 edit.docx
    Attachment: draft_proposal_2019-08-14 1 edit (ABC).docx
    Attachment: draft_proposal_2019-08-14 edit 1.docx
    "oh sorry don't think I sent the right one"
    Attachment: draft_proposal_2019-08-14 1 edit 1.docx
    Attachment: draft_proposal_2019-08-14.docx

never send files over email unless they are 10K and will never change and nobody else will ever want to see them

15. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

We do. It is how the world works. 99.999999% of shit on email is of no use to anyone.

16. extra dry

True i just emptied my inboxes gmail hotmail which now outlook, somewhere inthe reagoin of 3000 spam ones and scams.
    Plus new duties today covering HR, health insurance's, cv"s, lesson prep, test prep and grown adults who don't know how to use g-maps effectivly.

Or their home town with one bus station.

17. FridgeMagnet

I know people do, but they shouldn't. Email is a communication medium not a file storage/collaboration one.

I also know that this is a hopeless cause: twenty years ago, people were being told "don't email documents, attach them to the lotus notes DB and send links" and now it's exactly the same just replacing lotus notes with office365 or sharepoint or whatever. The only system that people willingly use is google docs and that has a lot of issues if your company doesn't use that globally, not least to do with security. Attempts to address this with other communication media like Slack have failed because of interoperability because the providers are greedy and want to monopolise the market.

18. extra dry

Or softwear is 10yrs behind or more

19. FridgeMagnet

Most of it is web based nowadays but if nobody is going to pay for it....

20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

The survival plan as of Friday - I HAVE to chase up some potential work and overall we must do some significant cost reductions (a few of the options will not be too popular).

21. StoneRoad

It would also help if a certain member of staff applied themselves to doing their job correctly. Unless they are directly supervised they seem incapable of following written and verbal instructions, which has resulted in significant wastage of materials and other peoples' time. A verbal telling off yesterday resulted in shrugged shoulders and grunts in reply, and little or no improvement in quality of work today. Management still steaming, tomorrow may result in something else happening ...

22. existentialist

Seems to me that, in the difficult situation you find yourself, some trimming of dead wood might be in order. Hopefully your managers might be amenable to a streamlined disciplinary/capability process...

equationgirl and StoneRoad like this.
  23. StoneRoad

Yeah, something like that.

Doesn't help that the workshop manager started to give up cigarettes this week.

24. existentialist

Oh, I think that could be very helpful...muahaha. :D

25. StoneRoad

Most of the problems have occurred in work done last week, whilst the management, who are also the best coach painters, were a couple of hundred miles away on site, varnishing a carriage we finished just a few months ago.

Think words (written ones) will have to be had tomorrow.

equationgirl likes this.
  26. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

So mid September is actually 14th October. Not that anyone has bothered to communicate this with me, I happened to overhear my manager telling someone else. So not only can they not be bothered to tell me, they also haven't once checked in with me to see how I'm going and if I can cope til then.

27. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

I'm deeply pleased that my new job is considerably less stressful than my previous one, and at only slightly less pay (and more time off). But christ I'm bored now. I mean, I knew that was going to be the case and I thought it a good trade-off to constant anxiety. But still... I'm bored.

28. equationgirl

Sometimes, you have to ask the bold questions. Speak to your manager and ask them to confirm the start date of the new start. Don't sit waiting for them to tell you, they usually don't.

FridgeMagnet and existentialist like this.
  29. equationgirl

It will pick up soon. More time off is cool.

30. equationgirl

I don't think you have any choice, they're continually not paying attention so maybe formal is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for workers rights all the way, but a member of staff who continually rejects your authority and/or doesn't follow instructions repeatedly, leaving work to be redone, is no asset to the business, and the kindest thing is to let them go as quickly and as painlessly as possible.

existentialist likes this.