work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. hermitical

hermitical Well-Known Member

thank you :)

2. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Thinking of you hermitical wishing you and all your family the very best.

Mediation will only help if management are going to actually change. I wish her all the best too.

hermitical likes this.
  3. hermitical

hermitical Well-Known Member

thanks equationgirl, there has been a little movement and explanation already so that is positive - a long way to go though

equationgirl likes this.
  4. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

Meet the big boss today, at a meeting with 15 coleagues same level as me, one school manager. Now from what I heard everyone is petrifyed of him due being the owner and a bit blunt

I ask him if has read the employes handbook about dress code? tell him he's out of touch with issues on the ground, then call him a little bit of a bigot. Wonder how many days I am going to last.

5. A moan on behalf of my other half: When you have a degree-level mind and in fact did start doing a degree but had to drop out because of life stuff and then never got the chance to go back to it because of similar life stuff and now it's too late and you don't have time to complete that degree or start and complete another one and so you struggle to get even a crumb of low paid temp work with no future and you're told to sweep the floors by people half your age and IQ and you're muttering something about brain the size of a planet and they've got me sweeping floors when I should be/could be running this place... despair is not a strong enough word.

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

i like your style :thumbs:

existentialist likes this.
  7. Harry Smiles

Harry Smiles Well-Known Member

Because it meets the dress code in the employees' handbook?

8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

sticking it to the man

9. extra dry

The guy is a wealthly ego maniac, opened the meeting attacked our absent director,, bullying everyone into slience. Had to taken down a peg or two

10. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure how many more times I can mention that I'm currently doing 2 peoples jobs and that business is getting processed but I'm not able to follow it up as quickly as I would like.

I've been doing this for over a month now, with another 6 weeks to go and yet no one seems to appreciate it. I'm so tempted to get signed off at the end of this.

muscovyduck and Pickman's model like this.
  11. extra dry

I used to dream of just having two jobs, you can always be a little more direct, unless this something you've agreed to?

12. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Very pissed off with work, and now extremely frustrated.

In June, I wrote and submitted in a very detailed tender for some work, just had an email to say we came a close second.

13. existentialist

existentialist The sausages need an explanation

Good for you. I hope at least some of the punches land...

14. equationgirl

Oh dear, so sorry to hear that. I hope you win some soon.

15. StoneRoad

Thanks for that !

I'm so very disappointed in the outcome, we could all be out of work at the end of October ...

16. extra dry

I will find out at the next 'meeting'

17. extra dry

Thats rough, any other options on table?

18. StoneRoad

Not immediately.
    There is a gap of about 18 months from about October that I have to fill, otherwise I shall have to lay people off.
    It usually takes several years to line up a new project, so we are in the deep and smelly stuff. There is a very faint possibility that the planned project could be brought forward, but there is a problem with getting funding at more quickly than planned.

Not looking forward to meeting everybody this morning.

19. equationgirl

Hope it went OK.

20. StoneRoad

Today was difficult - I didn't sleep too well ...
    Had a pre-meeting with my junior partner, and we decided to be a little circumspect for the next few days. At least, until we can work out more details of a survival plan.

equationgirl likes this.
  21. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I've never heard of a situation where a company that's managed to get someone to do someone else's job for free ever (willingly) goes back on it.

It can be a serial problem too - Alice who painted the widgets is made redundant but Bob knows how to paint the widgets, so he has to do that as well as his normal job squeezing turkeys "until they find a replacement" and he quits after a year, but Carol can do the widget painting and Dave can squeeze turkeys, so those are passed on, and then they quit, etc etc. You get jobs being handed down over years until nobody knows who set the original thing up in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    KatyF, muscovyduck and equationgirl like this.
  22. equationgirl

KatyF I was the last person to be made redundant in a team of four, I inherited work from two of them and the pressure of doing all that work nearly drove me to a breakdown.

Think of your self and your health.

23. StoneRoad

Damm weather ---

I want to get 4 no pieces of wood painted outside and they are all 34ft long.

Not to mention the van being worked on outside.

24. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Yeah I know, I thought I was coping but when I really think about it I can see signs of the stress spilling in to the rest of my life.

Thankfully we have recruited someone and we're just waiting on a start date but it wont be until mid September apparently.

I think if the powers that be here even acknowledged this is what I'm doing instead of putting more and more work on me that would be a start. It's because unlike the rest of the team I just get on with things and don't make a fuss. Might be time for that to change.

25. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat That's Puddy Tat Esq to you

it has, as arkwright used to say, been a funny sort of day.

either the shit was going to hit the fan or it wasn't.

it hasn't yet and i'm on the way home

equationgirl likes this.
  26. extra dry

I Am taking a sick day. I rather gone and done
    my spine in for a few days, plus the Mad Dutchman is teaching tomorrow and I wish to avoid that hurricane of stale sexist jokes and he has a tendancy to piss everyone off.

Got some Painkillers/anti inflabs and going to rest for 3 days.

27. equationgirl

Hope you are OK extra dry

I'm this close to sending some choice words to certain managers about them not cutting me out of contract negotiation correspondence, because if they do so it fucks things up and then I get to sort their mess out. It seems that 'paperwork' is seen as a nuisance.

I seem to spend a disproportionate part of my day sorting out the shit one manager seems to cause because he 'doesn't understand', so he just deletes random things from agreements or cuts things from contracts without understanding the consequences.

muscovyduck likes this.
  28. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

I've been asked to cover someone in Nottingham tues to thurs, this is the second week, the first week I turned up to find a contractor I knew nothing about who had been waiting for me for about three hours, then throughout the week I had more and more people coming up to me asking me to do things that had been requested weeks ago. Seems like the guy I am covering has been taking it easy the last few weeks, I have loads to do. With no documentation about any of it. Really not happy about it. Then to top it off, coming back last week I think I managed to get a speeding ticket, so something to look forward to there.

I've got in this week to the receptionist saying that "loads of people are looking for me" my heart drops. Turns out it was one person who needed something doing that she could have sorted out herself. Finally got to the office to find that all the tv's are off and one of the switches is not connected. Neither of which are supposed to be my areas. That's on top of database issues that go away whenever I'm near and a till that works 99% but is unable to send one set of data through the otherwise working connection. No idea how to fix any of it, I think I'm just going to hide in the office until Thursday.

equationgirl and muscovyduck like this.
  29. existentialist

existentialist The sausages need an explanation

It probably makes me weird, but I used to love setups (and problems) like that :D

30. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

I don't mind as such, I've fixed most of it, apart from the till, no idea what to do about that. People here seem to like me as I actually get stuff done and I had a moan about it to the manager so I presume I'll get a handover next time. It's annoying though as I like the guy and he's one of the most organised people here, his documentation is TBF amazing and has meant that I've been able to do all the tasks I've been set. But I would have appreciated a bit more info at the start that's all.