work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I think it depends on the job. Music always helps me concentrate. But using music services and iTunes on work computers can cause copyright issues for the company as they probably don't have the PRS licence that allows them to do it.

It's really up to the company to figure out how it wants to handle it.

2. May Kasahara

May Kasahara humans are too delicious

Came into work this morning to find all our servers are down.

Not that I mind slacking off, but I can't do anything at all and on such a nice day I'd rather be slacking off down the pub tbh.

equationgirl likes this.
  3. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

There's a woman at work who is forever getting praised and being awarded vouchers for good work but all I see every day is how she gets everyone else to do her work. Including her manager, how is this allowed to happen? She's been here years, she shouldnt need someone to show her how to do everything. Her manager (a director of the company) writes her emails for her. Im baffled.

Last time we had a "going the extra mile" award thing I genuinely thought I was getting it as I'd done a lot of work that was above my actual role but no, she got it again. It just winds me up.

FridgeMagnet likes this.
  4. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

Told off at work for not working hard enough.

The place is dangerous, it's not my responsibility.

Giving in notice at end of the month as it's too much stress for the £.

5. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Got asked today if I could help an old man contact the BNP so they could join. I said I wouldn't help him and that I'd be surprised if anyone else would want to help them, but he was welcome to google it. Now I'm paranoid he was a mystery shopper! It was very strange as he was clearly not British-born as you'd expect a potential BNP member to be.

6. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Yammer is in use where I work as a contractor and the number of posts with "Look at me doing my job, aren't I good." really pisses me off.

7. equationgirl

A previous employer brought in an awards scheme, and whilst a lot of people across the business were nominated, the awards went to 'in crowd' for want of a better description. And the next year. And nominees in some parts of the business were made redundant.

Such behaviour renders the awards meaningless - people who work hard but aren't recognised wonder why they bother.

8. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

If they are not fair, in the ways KatyF and equationgirl described ( my experience has been similar !)
    then such schemes are a worthless waste of time.

equationgirl likes this.
  9. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

You're right equationgirl and StoneRoad these awards are now meaningless. Even if they awarded me one I don't think it would make me feel valued at all. My bosses are always commenting on how I'm like a swan gliding across the work without anyone seeing or realising the amount of work I'm doing. Which is true, I get on with my job and don't make a song and dance but I would still expect my bosses to recognise it properly. I'm currently the only person doing 2 people's jobs and they just keep adding things to it, this morning it was like oh we'll start that summer project in the next two weeks and I just looked at them.

equationgirl likes this.
  10. StoneRoad

Getting to the nail-biting stage of waiting to hear about a potential project.

11. existentialist

existentialist The sausages need an explanation

The LA has pulled the funding for me to do this counselling work with LAC kids.

That's probably a bit of a blessing in that I have too much work anyway, but it's another bit of support withdrawn from a client group that needs all the stuff help it can get.

12. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

Racist :mad:

:) Sticking to your principles :thumbs:

Orang Utan likes this.
  13. equationgirl

Oh no (for the kids). Utter fucks to have withdrawn the money.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  14. equationgirl

One year ago today was my official last day with previous employer.

One year ago Monday I started with my new employer.

It's like night and day.

15. existentialist

Well, TBF, they're nothing if not consistent - they've destroyed their secondary schools counselling service and decimated pretty much every other youth-related activity.

16. equationgirl

Consistently shit and destructive by the sound of things.

17. existentialist

Yep. Local government, gotta love that clodhopping ineptitude...

equationgirl likes this.
  18. Orang Utan

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  19. equationgirl

Talking of ineptitude, I have sent an agreement out to a company three times with the sections highlighted that they need to complete. Each time it has come back blank.

Clearly, adding an email address and the name of the contact person, and signatory details is an unreasonable request :rolleyes:

20. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

got some 'helpful suggestions' from the MD today

constructing a response without the term 'bollocks' was difficult...

equationgirl, polly and mx wcfc like this.
  21. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I really want to post on this thread but am paranoid now I've realised it's in a public bit. Just know that I am very frustrated :mad:

22. StoneRoad

There's another thread that might suit, or pm me if you want to vent !

polly likes this.
  23. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

I was WFH today. Got a call from a boss man. Our internal phone system made it obvious to him that I was WFH. Cheeky bastard actually said "sorry to interrupt you from mowing the lawn, but could you do xyz". If I'd have been mowing the lawn I wouldn't have heard the phone ring, you dick.

(i did have my second load of washing washing in, mind)

equationgirl and Libertad like this.
  24. polly

polly Well-Known Member

That's so nice of you, thanks :cool: It's proper dull though. I won't put you in the awkward position of having to find words to reply :D

StoneRoad likes this.
  25. equationgirl

I don't mind if you pm me, even if dull.

polly likes this.
  26. StoneRoad

That's fine, if you don't need a reply ...

27. Orang Utan

So now I need to add getting harassed by a far right mob to my current work woes. Sigh.

28. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Was your earlier incident a setup? I had a thought it might be a YouTube stunt.

29. Orang Utan

Aye, some group pretending to be protecting people's right to film the police, but are in fact lowlife yellow jacket EDL types who just don't like the fact that they get asked to take off hoodies, masks, helmets etc in public places when other people might not get asked (ie Mrs Khan in her niqab)

30. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

been contacted for the 6th time from a background screening company, I dont mind this as I have got nothing to hide.

However they keep on asking me for proof of working at this company , the company that is requesting the background screening , idiots

equationgirl likes this.