work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. sovereignb

sovereignb Well-Known Member

I feel pretty crap at my job :( have to deal with so many cases and feel I cant spend quality time on things and make mistakes. doesn't really help that I have no real passion for it

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Need to make a decision but don't think it's worth its own thread: I've been off work sick for months and months now, SSP has run out, occupational health and my manager have been really supportive but I'm now at the point where I don't think I'll able to go back this year so I need to decide whether to resign or to let them manage me out on capability grounds.
    Can anyone tell me if there's any advantage to be gained by resigning rather than being dismissed? Would being dismissed due to bad health be recorded somewhere and passed on to future employers?
    Any input would be helpful at this point.

3. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

I "think" that resigning limits your access to certain benefits for a period of time

muscovyduck, ShiftyBagLady and Chz like this.
  4. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

You may be better off letting them dismiss you, if only to access benefits more easily. You should ask your current employer what type of reference they usually give, for example some are now only confirming the dates you worked there, nothing else. You can also agree the reference wording as part of your dismissal paperwork.

If you come to some arrangement with your employer they may also pay your statutory notice entitlement, which would help a little. But speak to them.

muscovyduck and ShiftyBagLady like this.
  5. ShiftyBagLady

I think you're right but if I decide to sign on then I can claim ESA rather than JSA and have loads of recent doctors and occupational health letters and reports to argue that I'm not fit for the role. That's basically what my bosses will argue when they dismiss me and I'm afraid they're not wrong.
    Im more concerned about how it might effect my future employability

6. ShiftyBagLady

You're right and I have lots of annual leave to discuss too so I'm going to call them this week. I just wanted to clarify my thoughts a bit before I speak to them.

7. equationgirl

Take your time, it's a big decision. You'll get the holiday paid out which might also help. I'm sure they'll be sad if you don't go back, they sound very supportive.

8. equationgirl

Also, most people are aware that life gets in the way sometimes - it was phrased as 'I had a health crisis which meant I had to give up work for a few months, but now that's in the past and i' m looking forwards to getting back into the workforce', it shouldn't be an issue.

muscovyduck and ShiftyBagLady like this.
  9. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

While I don't know all the circumstances, not sure it has to be an either / or just quite yet - this (from CAB) suggests that you can claim ESA while still employed when you reach the end of SSP

10. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Work is frustrating me a bit, it's just so fucking dull.

Ironically I do like working for the customer, nice people and good treats occasionally, but working for the MSP I officially work for feels like a dead end and the tasks we're responsible for are fairly basic.

Not helped I can't even remotely make my own hours or work from home. I've gone backwards in my career.

11. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Three of my team are complete babies who cannot do a fucking thing without supervision. Our managers are too busy to supervise. I get landed with all the work. They know what to do and when to do it, but if the boss isn't there, they just don't do their fucking jobs. They literally just stand there while i work around them. I'd tell them to do their fucking jobs, but the last time I did, I got told off, being told to squeal to management every time they fail to do their jobs, instead of speaking directly to them. But if i did that I'd never be off the phone. Writing it all down seems petty and seem like I'm being vindictive. I just want to not have to do all of the work..

Almor likes this.
  12. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Despite misgivings, I have put my name down for a "managing burn out" session in a couple of weeks. I fear that if/when I do crack, it will be better if I can show that I have addressed the issue. Not sure it's "burn out" exactly, but I am generally completely fecked off with work atm - similar issues to others.

13. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

just got told off in the office shared kitchen by some random who clearly has cleanliness 'issues'.

the standard practice is to leave teaspoons on the drainer for re-use without washing in between. sometimes people don't do this quite right, i.e. leaving a coffee encrusted spoon or dropping them in the sink so people can pour stuff over them / they're in the way. some people occasionally put all the teaspoons out into the dishwasher and we end up running out. but anyway, leaving the spoon out is perfectly standard in our office and my preferred way also.

this guy comes in and does a round of drinks for his office and ALWAYS completely washes up all the cups and the cafetiere, dries them, then makes a round. after the cups have been used for a single hot drink. it's super annoying for anyone else trying to use the kitchen cos he has no awareness of how in the way he is. he also wipes down all the counters and the sink and drainer, even if they were looking ok before. everyone else in his office who makes the round on their turn also does the full pointless wash every time. i found out today it's clearly on his instructions. i made my drink, wiped down the counter, left the spoon neatly on the drainer and he had a go at me for it. for leaving a dirty spoon on his clean drainer. :facepalm: i pointed out that it's normal and nearly everyone does it and the spoon will get re-used, by me if no-one else and he was not having it. said 'you wouldn't do that at home'. i DO actually, i drink a lot of tea and i always re-use the spoon. anything else is silly. am livid.

14. Orang Utan

Is he objecting to you leaving a clean spoon on the drainer? Or are you leaving a dirty spoon on the drainer?

15. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

technically neither.
    it was a spoon that had been used to make a cup of tea. i hadn't rinsed it (although i would have if i'd been making coffee). as far as i'm concerned that's suitable to re-use for another hot drink. i left it bowl down so any residual tea would drain.
    whilst that might annoy some people it's standard practice in every office i've ever worked in and clean enough for me and certainly not dirty enough to get a very irate 'would you do that at home' lecture that some of the people that share the kitchen could probably do with hearing.

equationgirl likes this.
  16. Orang Utan

Ok, I'm not sure it is that usual, certainly not in my experience, but i automatically rinse a spoon after I've used it and would expect others to do the same. I wouldn't get upset over it mind.

Chz likes this.
  17. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

About three years ago I left a job for a well-known tech company after being headhunted to join a company whose owner has sold a majority stake to a private equity company. I knew the owner and he still is a great guy. I joined and it was ok for a couple of months then the PE guys brought in a new CEO, CFO and head of sales. All of the utter twats, they pushing out the former owner who is a now a minority shareholder and proceeded to drive the company into the ground. The pay was comically high so I decided to ride it to the dirt until they eventual got around to letting me go to save money, for several reasons they didn't. About three months ago I was offered a job at a well-established tech company and thought I'd just quit and fuck off.

I told the former owner, who I'm still mates with, and he told me not to quit - he was sure he could get me fired with a payment. I was a bit nervous because I had a firm offer and didn't want to fuck it up. Today I got fired with nice payoff, they did it in a shitty way but after three years of misery, I'm FREEEEE.

A lesson I've learned is that PE guys are wankers.