1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Sent new, keen sounding manager over the dates I could work. Got one back asking if I could work this week just gone, which wasn't on the list. Since then nothing. Despite a polite email from me on Thursday, saying I was happy to work for them, but needed to know what was happening. It's bizzare. As far as I know they are still very short staffed, but just because I'm now bank, does not mean that the only work I do for them is at very short notice. It's rude if nothing else.

Anyway. First day of the year back in Wales. Set up of even more early then normal in case snow disruption, but other then the first and last half miles the roads were a dream. I'm now really early, but there are worse places to sit and wait then looking at snow covered hills.
    equationgirl likes this.
  2. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Active Member

Success. He was really short with me at the beginning and then I started pushing it and spoke to the ICO who backed me up. They have now done their own investigation and they have been told the same so have removed access to this information.

Suffice to say I will be reporting the whole organisation as a concern to my local council as they don't know what they are doing at all.

Thanks for the help, and as we all know don't assume your boss knows the law.
  3. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Assume your boss doesn't know the law is a useful starting point, I find :)
  4. Almor

Almor Well-Known Member

Assume that the boss doesn't know shit seems to be a reasonable starting point for many of us
  5. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

Found out today that all other roles (in the HEI I work in) are on the same pay grade as me, which require someone to be educated to a good GCSE level. My role requires postgraduate qualifications and membership of a professional association in this case Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP). I'm perplexed that roles in the same grade can have widely different requirements.
    sorearm likes this.
  6. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Had the most surreal meeting last night. If i wasn't laughing at how so many highly qualified in their own field, supposedly intelligent people can become such utter numpties when outside their area of expertise yet have absolutely no insight into their lack of skills/knowledge i would be in tears. Fucking voluntary sector!
  7. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Photos and full names of staff members have been put up in public in our workspace without our consent. We think they have no right and it raises issues of privacy, security and safety. We deal with the public, on sensitive matters, and often have to tell people things they don't want to hear. Have emailed the union to find out where we stand.
    I took my photo down and got quizzed about it, but not reprimanded, but was told a higher up manager would he informed. I don't think I'm in trouble, but it's pissed me off all the same.
    muscovyduck and existentialist like this.
  8. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

I had a similar issue with wearing name badges - ended up with a lot of people using nicknames or just their forename.
    I agree with Orang Utan about the safety aspect, as my RL surname is very rare. Fortunately, I don't splash it around.
    existentialist likes this.
  9. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

In the past few months, I've had to work with simply the most odious person I've ever had the misfortune of working with. He' a bully, refuses to admit he's wrong (and he always is) and it's impossible to find a single person the company who likes him. Sadly although I outrank him he's managed to get an acting position which means he can lord his fuckwittery over many people. However, this week it's been announced that the acting position has been filled by someone and he'll be doing something else - I hope without people. I've greatly enjoyed watching people starting to openly take the piss out of this awful shitlord and it's a great way to finish the Friday.
  10. Orang Utan

We already wear name badges with our first names on and have photo ID/entry fobs on lanyards round our necks anyway!
  11. equationgirl

Interesting. With the changes to data protection coming in shortly, and the increased obligations on employers, things like this may hopefully be a thing of the past. The employer must tell you what personal data of yours it has and what it intends to do with it, including how it is stored and used.

So you could raise it with a senior manager and gently bring their attention to the GDPR, the ICO website has lots of advice and they are currently running a helpline. Also, domestic violence and stalking survivors may not wish for their details to be made public like this.

Definitely worth pursuing if you can.
  12. Orang Utan

We actually had some GDPR people come in the other day to ask questions about what we do with customers' details. Not ours though. :mad:
  13. Orang Utan

this is what I pointed out!
    crossthebreeze and equationgirl like this.
  14. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

I have a feeling that full name / photo would constitute 'personal data' under current data protection law / guidance,m so would agree it's possibly dodgy.

Indeed. I once got my ticket checked on a train by a guard with shortish cropped hair and a moustache whose name badge said he was Tom Finland. I suspect most passengers didn't get it...
  15. Orang Utan

Aye, i googled and found that it could be a breach of both the data protection act and the human rights act.
  16. equationgirl

Lots of employers seem to be ignoring their upcoming obligations under the GDPR - the 'let's not tell them and hope they don't find out' strategy appears to be increasingly popular.
    muscovyduck likes this.
  17. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

manager keeps reallocating my work to other members of the team. i am too busy that is true, but he's doing it with no consideration for the context. so he just allocated a massive piece of work that is inextricably linked with another piece of work, which i am 75% of the way through. it can't just be reallocated without a handover and it makes a lot more sense for me to just finish it.
    muscovyduck likes this.