work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. existentialist

existentialist Running out of ways it could get worse

That's what he's relying on! Yes, you will have to spend time gaining his trust, and painstakingly setting him up to make a complete dick of himself, but it's an investment in time now that will pay dividends when either he's fired for the incompetence he's not actually any good at displaying, or (more likely) he gives up asking you questions because the answers are too difficult.

Better start, then :D. Log calls for everything. If you have the means to script something to do it, do that - learn a new skill :D If it's web-based, and you've got access to a Linux box, look at things like selenium to automatically fill web pages. It's a handy testing skill to have, anyway.

I've worked in some toxic workplaces before, and I like to think I have been able to use my ingenuity and skill to make them even more toxic for the sources of the original toxicity... ;) One of the good things about it is that you start looking at their idiocy in a more creative and optimistic light, as it begins to represent opportunities for entertainment and mischief. Think outside the box... :D

equationgirl and Puddy_Tat like this.
  2. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

Except he's been on a last chance performance improvement thing for the entire time I've worked here, he's not getting sacked. He's also so stupid I think he would take what I told him, screw it up and fix it through dumb luck, then he'll forget how he did it. Everyone in the office knows whats he's like but if manglement won't sack him, we're stuck with him.

Meh, that would mean I have to do more paperwork, everyone here knows who I am and what I do (I have a reputation for fixing stuff not logging tickets, tickets have never been a metric for measuring performance before). We are using servicenow which I think I can use templates, will work out the most generic sounding tickets I can think of and make it easy.

Thing is, is that it's not a toxic workplace, I really like working here, the people are really nice, I work very flexibly, the work itself is piss easy, having useless here is going to change things but at least it won't be boring for a while. I probably do need to start thinking about moving somewhere else, I think I have pretty much exhausted the possibilities of this workplace.

3. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I have a colleague who is not only the stupidest man in the world but also the most talkative man in the world. He's also really shit at his job. Having internal implosions trying to suppress my irritation with him.

4. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

The longer it takes, the longer they pay me.

5. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I'm calling in sick tomorrow. I've not done this for at least 3 years. I'm still tired after the weekend I had. I could have rested better the last few days, but fuck it I wasn't putting my life on hold because of this. It probably sounds silly, but at the end of it, a thank you and chat about how we'd deal with these situations going forwards would have made the world of difference to how I felt about it all. So fuck it. I'm honestly at the point I'm not sure I want to keep working for them anyway.

So yeah. Why do I still feel slightly guilty inside. :confused:

6. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound silly, and you shouldn't feel guilty. It's the number one way they hook in support and care workers to take advantage of us. They should have said thank you, they should have given you a proper rest period, and you need a day off if it's getting to much for you.

If they'd have handled the situation then you wouldn't be in this situation. Enjoy your day off, and maybe use it to update your CV or something so you can at least be prepared should anything come up?

sorearm likes this.
  7. equationgirl

Hope you are feeling a bit better UnderAnOpenSky

Still don't know if I'm losing my job or not. Finding the whole thing a bit tedious to be honest

sorearm and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  8. existentialist

existentialist Running out of ways it could get worse

I'm not surprised. The not-knowing is worse than knowing either way, in my book - at least then you can start planning the way forward.

9. equationgirl

I have a back up plan, just don't know when to implement it. Will definitely be glad to see the back of some of my colleagues.

10. UnderAnOpenSky

Have you seen anything promising or at least possibly barrable?

11. equationgirl

Yes, a couple of things this week, thankfully, I was starting to feel a bit desperate. I fully intend to spend most of my time next week filling out job applications on work time.

12. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Had an utterly shit day yesterday - my colleague was also really upset/pissed off so its not just me being over-sensitive - due to people from a partner organisation being cockwombles and assorted posh wankpuffins basically making us feel both utterly devalued and completely put upon with a definite whiff of sexism going on - and the vultures are most certainly circulating. Yet again tomorrow a plan to work on something specific is going to have to turn into a crisis meeting with my manager, because its not like any of us have anything more important to be doing or anything. :mad:

13. equationgirl

Wankpuffins is new, crossthebreeze so thank you for that.

Sorry to hear you have to deal with them though, it sounds very demoralising :(

14. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

I'll keep trying to keep the creative language coming as it seems to help... (though i can't claim the word is my invention).

equationgirl likes this.
  15. UnderAnOpenSky

Apparently we have a new manager. I know this as he just rang me to find out if I was coming back. Last one lasted less then two months. :D

equationgirl likes this.
  16. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

is 'manager of the month' an award or a job title?

17. UnderAnOpenSky

I might have to steal that for when I call him back tomorrow. :D

I guess there are worse situations. I honestly dont give a fuck if I go back or not, so balls in his court really. On the plus side he sounded young and enthusiastic. This might be down to sheer naivety, but I found the lack of it a bit weird in the last one. It's a hard job for sure, but you definitely do need to be a leader and give it your all.

You certainly wouldn't catch me doing it!

equationgirl likes this.
  18. UnderAnOpenSky

On a slight negative I've been paying Unite £15 a month for a few years now and haven't asked for much. Called them on Thursday to find out more about getting the employer to pay mind wage for sleeps and back pay. Was told I'd be called back in 24 hours and it hasn't happened yet.

Same thing happened end of last year when it was being taken ovet and I called regarding signing a new contract. Although every this has been so disorganized, nobody has asked me to sign one yet and still being paid my rate of pay. :D

19. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

20. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

I have a colleague who whenever she asks me about something and I respond, she just ignores it and then goes investigating it herself. I'm not sure why she thinks I wouldn't be telling her the truth but I can't help feeling she's trying to catch me out somehow. When she's struggling I always try and help her, and again she ignores me or she'll ask someone else. It's really starting to get on my nerves.

21. equationgirl

22. equationgirl

Came home at lunchtime due to snow. Texted line manager to tell him I wouldn't be in tomorrow. He actually replied saying OK, and sorry for the 'current situation'. What a nice way to describe my indeterminate status thanks to his decisions.

Also, the admin who lives a very short distance from work, ten minutes walk tops, took the day off. Which meant we had no travel bookers and someone in a different department had to pick up an urgent booking for one of my engineers. Not impressed.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    sorearm likes this.
  23. equationgirl

Office closed today and probably tomorrow.

Which is actually nice.

But they told everyone by email and my remote has been revoked due to my indeterminate status (not quite sure why, I could do way more damage on site if I were minded too). Fortunately my liftshare person saw the email and told me.

sorearm likes this.
  24. BristolEcho

Wondering if anyone know this off the top of their head.

My previous employer had all of our personal details on the system that anyone can access. This included our address, personal telephone number, dob etc.

This was always pretty dodgy and it was something that we were going to bring up in a larger complaint against the company. We decided to omit it to focus on other factors. I've now found out that our complaint was leaked amongst some staff who all had access to this information. The information was available through a program we use every day.

Is this illegal? I had a quick search online and it's unclear but I'm possibly searching the wrong thing. Plus I'm kind of working. If anyone knows the answer and can direct me to the relevent part of law before I ring ACAS or someone that would be great.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  25. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

The only people who should have access to it are those that need access to it as part of doing their job. This generally usually just HR and payroll.

BristolEcho likes this.
  26. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

sounds like a data protection, rather than employment law thing. Not an expert, but ICO is the body that enforces data protection law. May be worth a look at their site.

equationgirl likes this.
  27. BristolEcho

Thank you I'll take a look. I've been looking more at employment stuff I think.

To be fair I'll probably just email him and get him to correct it. I'd love to take it further, as I would the whole complaint, but I have the respect the views of those that are still in there. Plus protect them. I wouldn't want my hot headed actions make their lives even better.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  28. BristolEcho

Thanks that's perfect I'm following their guide. I wasn't sure if I was being lazy, but it would have taken me ages to find that, and I still wouldn't have been sure if it was what I need.

29. equationgirl

As above, definitely should be restricted to those who need it to do their job such as HR and payroll. Also, anyone can report concerns to information commissioner.

Also GDPR legislation comes into force from May this year, which means personal data should be treated more carefully.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  30. equationgirl

Snow day last two says. Probably back to work Monday.