work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

5 pages of paper to claim a train ticket for fuck's sake.:facepalm:
    May have been volunteered for a SERE course. Survival escape resistance and evasion hopefully it is a joke eating bugs and being waterboarded is not on my wish list.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/usaf/afh10-644.pdf

current sere handbook

3. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

it's been a funny sort of day.

spent a chunk of this morning dealing with the consequences of a cock-up that had then been bodged elsewhere, then when we did get told about it, the attempt to rectify that cock up managed to add a new layer of cock up, and the whole thing then got cocked up even further.

ctrl-alt-meow.jpg

sorearm and equationgirl like this.
  5. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

I know I'm getting old.

I can't stand that our new junior PM actually says "KK" in emails.

6. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

What does that mean???

7. equationgirl

So far today I have cleaned my desk phone and fixed a problem with the with my headphones, so not too bad.

Puddy_Tat sounds like cockwombles and cockweasels have been about...

8. equationgirl

Still no news....

9. equationgirl

Puddy_Tat hope your day is better today.

10. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Had a shitty morning yesterday as - while travelling to one of my other workplaces - I read a bright and breezy email (sent at 2am) from my difficult colleague (at the job I'm probably getting laid off from in 6 weeks time because of funding cuts but am fighting on a number of fronts to keep) with a project proposal that completely undermined me and my attempts to keep my job in several ways. After getting a bit weepy, I managed to calm down enough to send my manager a text and arrange to leave the job I was going to early so I could have an emergency meeting with her. Luckily I had calmed down enough to be articulate by then and my manager - who hadn't actually read the project proposal yet - agreed with me that it was unsuitable for the organisation and could see why I was feeling disrespected. Difficult colleague is now on holiday for a week, and is bound to be unhappy that she hasn't got her way. I had thought that we were now good with each other, and that she understood the difficult situation I'm going through at the moment, so I'm trying to see it as utter thoughtlessness rather than spite, but I'm still properly pissed off and upset about it.

11. equationgirl

Sorry to hear that crossthebreeze that sounds very difficult to deal with. At least you have some breathing space for a while, which can be helpful.

But find some frozen prawns to hide near their desk just in case...

sorearm, crossthebreeze and Puddy_Tat like this.
  12. RainbowTown

RainbowTown Well-Known Member

Best way to treat a conniver like that is just to rise above it all. If she knows she's getting to you, she'll play on it. When she arrives back just be polite and say something like "that project proposal was pretty well thought out. Congrats. Maybe something similiar will be more suitable for some time in the future" etc. If, unfortunately, you are laid off in a few weeks time, then it's gloves off in the final week. Tell her what a cow she is and that she suffers from some terrible B.O.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  13. equationgirl

I Think urban can craft better insults than 'you smelly cow'...

muscovyduck and crossthebreeze like this.
  14. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I've been on since 8.00 yesterday and have had one hours sleep. Tomorrow morning when I have to start speaking to various professionals and management should be entertaining. :Hmm:

15. equationgirl

Hope you managed to get a bit more sleep.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  16. Puddy_Tat

:hmm:

does someone need the words 'working time directive' mentioning?

17. UnderAnOpenSky

It's not so much that this happens, but how it's dealt with afterwards. Right now not feeling thrilled. Got another hours sleep, but there has been no offer to take me off shift early. Luckily it's now totally chilled and I'm wading through paperwork. I've been told I can go back to sleep, but that's not going to happen as I know the bloody phone will ring as soon as I do. My old manager would have been down by now.

I'm grumpy, but the real victim's here are the kids we are meant to be looking after. I know I've said it before the system is fundermently broken.

18. Puddy_Tat

I can find a number of references online to 'sleep in but on call' care work (i assume that's the sort of thing you mean) being counted as working time both for WTD and minimum wage purposes.

can find some more if you want, although you / your union may already be on top of this.

fire-fighters have been allowed to kip between calls on night shift - which is paid time - since time immoral.

19. UnderAnOpenSky

That's another kettle of fish. Currently it's a paid sleep in rate well below minimum wage, switching to hourly if your needed. My understanding, but I may be wrong is the care industry has got an exemption for now.

I'm a bit torn how it will impact me tbh. Obviously I'd like to be paid more, but suspect that when it happens they'll have seperate staff who stay awake (after all they are paying them). I'm part time/bank now since the takeover, using it to top up my other work. A few long days and a sleep kind of works for me as it's gets the hours in and there is no commute, but also think having the same staff in all day is beneficial for the young people as well.

20. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

21. Puddy_Tat

This piece suggests there's an appeal court case coming up in march

(guardian - boo hoo, poor hard done by 'care' companies - guardian is going down the pan thread that way ->)

22. UnderAnOpenSky

Thanks. Will look into more when I'm less tired. The back pay would be very nice! I am a member of Unite, so may give them a call.

Kids are just things to make money from, private companies paid huge amounts of tax payers money and just passed on and on and on overseen by totaly overworked socially workera who quite often manage to make things worse. Thing is in the 5 years I've been doing it, it's getting worse, not better and it's not just through lack of funding.

23. sorearm

sorearm wanna buy some pegs dave?

god. I want to kill the guy opposite. He's slurping his tea/coffee. so annoying

24. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Not sure how you can drink summat without slurping unless you have a straw

25. sorearm

It's loud slurping. I can hear it through my earphones.

I'm ready to kill ...

26. equationgirl

I understand. I felt a bit stabby earlier due to people nearby.

It appears I am also the only person in the department capable of replacing the toner in the photocopier...

No news, still not had 2nd consultation meeting. It appears HR seem incapable of scheduling meetings or obtaining answers to questions. Oh well.

27. sorearm

wtf

28. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

We have a small dept made up of servicedesk who deal with remote users and desktop who deal with office users, this is how it's been for about ten years. One of the desktop guys has just been offered a good job with the council so he's buggering off to pastures new. This means that there is only one person on that side. He's been carried by whoever was in the other chair for the best part of five years now because he's utterly useless. He's panicking but seems to think the best way to carry on is for him to take over the role and give us any of the jobs he can't deal with.

It didn't take much to realise what he was up to, he wants to be able to cherry pick all the easy jobs, pass the crap onto us and be the hero cos he's running desktop support all by himself.

Nope. Not happening. I counter proposed that it would be a lot better for us to combine the departments and consolidate our knowledge. Everyone decided that this was a good idea, except him, he's been desperately trying to find legitimate objections since it was proposed, so far he's not succeeded, but we have been in multiple meetings about it already. We are also now going to have to move some people around because otherwise he'd be out on his own and he didn't want that. This has upset one of the other team as he doesn't want to sit next to him. So now everyone is unhappy.

TBH I find the whole thing hilarious, useless desktop is going to finally have to actually do some work because it will become painfully obvious if he isn't, I'm just not looking forward to having to explain EVERYTHING to him daily.

29. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

When you explain anything, do it in the most convoluted, inefficient way possible. Have him opening ludicrous sequences of dialog boxes "because it's important that the Windows message stack sees the M_DIALOGCLOSE message within 7.2 seconds of opening XYZ dialogue box", etc. Use it as an exercise in creativity. As an added bonus, you can then point out to users he's advised to do this that there's actually an easier way, and give them the conventional version. Just don't get caught :)

Celyn, equationgirl and sorearm like this.
  30. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

But then I'd be stuck explaining more stuff to him, honestly it's usually quicker to just do it myself.

Now they are all having conversations about call stats, I haven't logged a call in months, this is not good.