work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Sorry to hear this. Presumably the 'abundantly clear' bit was verbally rather than in writing? Not an employment lawyer but I don't think they are allowed to do that.

2. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

Well the impression I get of the work environment is that it is past toxic.

Who ever is in charge at/near the top wants you to leave. Take the best option for yourself.

equationgirl and existentialist like this.
  3. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

It was a staff meeting held by the CEO - certain statements he said made it clear how the company felt. I took notes for future use.

4. equationgirl

Today, someone who has ignored me all week, bounced up to me.

Them: so glad I found you! X is looking for contracts, I've sent you the email.
    Me: they already have the contracts. I sent them previously.
    Them: well they're looking for them, can you send them again?
    Me: they've already got them.
    Them: yes but can you send them again?
    Me: I do have other priorities right now.
    Them: yes, but can you just do it?

I walked away from them.

It was also something this person could have done.

I spent some time with my rep looking at strategy and potential questions we need detailed answers to.

Plus the annual company conference submission schedule has been released. Its a huge task which I have responsibility for, so we'll see how that goes. I am certainly not showing anyone else how to organise and manage it.

sorearm and FridgeMagnet like this.
  5. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

Nice one. It sounds as if there's a real culture in your company of just dumping on people and then expecting them to just suck it up and get on with it. I don't suppose it'll make any difference to the outcome, but if they're shitting on you with the redundancy thing, you owe it to your own self-esteem to be able to - OK, politely - say "fuck you" back.

This is good. They will tie themselves in knots trying to swerve the answers (or just being completely poleaxed by the questions). And, hopefully, drop themselves a bit further in the shit in the process.

Too damn right. Give them a little taste of what they wish for - they want a world without you, let them start getting used to the idea of it now. Don't expect it to make any difference to the outcome, but at least this way you get to see them feeling the burn before you've gone.

Stick it to the bastards in any way you can (and which doesn't compromise your position).

equationgirl likes this.
  6. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Good luck eq

equationgirl likes this.
  7. equationgirl

Thanks for everything, everyone on thread. It's much appreciated.

Monday's meeting will be interesting. I may move discussion to a PM rather than here, seeing as this thread is open.

8. sorearm

sorearm wanna buy some pegs dave?

hope it goes ok!

equationgirl likes this.
  9. chainsawjob

chainsawjob Kipping in the dunes

equationgirl likes this.
  10. equationgirl

1st meeting went mostly OK, line manager couldn't really look me in the eye for first half. I have to write a justification why my role should be kept and what happens to the business if it goes.

Rep says this is a good sign as most redundancy meetings don't allow people the chance to do that, but both of us are wary.

chilango likes this.
  11. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

Good that you've got the opportunity to justify your position, but...well, how come YOU have to do THEIR homework for them? :(

muscovyduck and Almor like this.
  12. equationgirl

Have my experiences over the past few years taught you nothing????

My line manager, who should rightly do it, doesn't know what I do (because he's shown no interest in finding out) and therefore can't do it.

Sapphireblue and existentialist like this.
  13. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Sorry to read of your trials and tribulations EQG. All strength to you, best of luck and look after yourself.

equationgirl likes this.
  14. equationgirl

Thank you, it's much appreciated.

15. equationgirl

And shit colleagues are still shit, which I'm sure absolutely no-one is surprised by.

CV has been sent out to some agencies and I applied for an internal position (mainly because I wouldn't be expected to, mwah ha ha) and I'm networking to find things too but overall I feel pretty shit, and being ignored is hurtful.

And for some reason, my boss reassigned a task he'd asked me to do before redundofest, and that I had done and sent to him for approval to issue. I only found out because it's due by the end of the week and I'd heard nothing from him.

Now, I have been asking for help for years and not getting it, so the timing of this is very :confused::hmm:. I do not think the person he reassigned it to would do a more competent job than me, and I'm reasonably sure I didn't make a huge mess of it when I did it. I doubt he did it to be helpful given this was one small task in amongst everything I do. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but the timing feels... curious...

And his obnoxious PA tried to make me feel sorry for him. That went well :mad::rolleyes: Especially when she then tried to tell me she knows how I feel :mad::mad:

It will be a sodding miracle if there's a zero body count by the end of this.

muscovyduck likes this.
  16. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

:eek:

are you aiming to stay there, or get the best possible redundancy deal?

as i've said before, i don't know what you do, or what other options there may be for doing it in the area you live, but i'm coming to the conclusion that staying there is really not good for your long term health.

there is, with some people (and i'll include myself in that) an instinct to dig in when the bastards are trying to turf you out, but in the long run, i'm not convinced it's constructive use of time and energy...

equationgirl likes this.
  17. equationgirl

My main aim is to get enough evidence for an unfair dismissal case, because that's the way I think it will end. They won't interview me for the job I applied for.

I will build an escape tunnel. If by some minor miracle my role is migrated to another part of the business I won't have to work for him or see his sycophants again.

And then I can hopefully take them to tribunal.

18. equationgirl

19. sorearm

20. equationgirl

sorearm likes this.
  21. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I am going to have to re-apply for my job, just a few months after I've started. They are being very reassuring that our jobs are safe, but it's the stress of applying and being interviewed that can't be avoided. I spent three days on my last application and rehearsed my interview loads, so feel spent after that effort and now I have to do it again

22. sorearm

Why is this? Sounds a bit shit :(

... to cover your back apply for as many other jobs as you can at the same time ...

23. Orang Utan

I have no intention of applying for any other jobs. One is enough.
    They are changing the job description. Some people won't like it and will leave, so those of us who want to stay are safe, yet we still have to reapply and attend interviews.

sorearm likes this.
  24. Puddy_Tat

why are they going through this bollocks then? surely they could offer 'choice' of new contract or redundancy?

is there a union involved here?

incidentally, for future reference - length of service for things like unfair dismissal / redundancy pay is length of employment, not length of time on current job title / contract / any other artificial date they come up with.

muscovyduck and Orang Utan like this.
  25. Orang Utan

Unions are involved, yes.
    There are a number of fewer positions available in the new role. The new role is on a higher pay grade and to pay for this, they are cutting some positions.
    I guess they cannot forecast exactly who will leave/retire/take ELI, so they have to have competitive selection for the new roles even though they are damn sure nobody who doesn't want to leave will me forced to.

26. equationgirl

How much are they changing the job description? Is it a couple of extra tasks or a complete replacement revision?

Do you still have a copy of the application you did for this job? Could you reuse it?

27. Orang Utan

It's changing quite a bit with quite a lot of extra responsibilities and duties. Libraries where i am now offer a lot of extra services such as help with council house bids and applications, housing and council tax benefit applications, disability badge applications etc which we would help with in the new role.

And yes, I still have my original application and intend to consult it heavily!

equationgirl likes this.
  28. Puddy_Tat

Ah - that does make sense. While there are ways it can be done if it suits them, they shouldn't really just bung people up to a higher grade, so I can see why they are making it an application process.

And if there are additional duties that were never in the job spec, then (broadly speaking) anyone who doesn't want to do these would be entitled to redundancy if 'suitable alternative' work can't be found.

Some places I've worked, when there has been a chance of redundancy, there have been more people wanting to go than they have wanted to get rid of...

I expect you already know this, but don't fall in to the trap that some people do with an internal application of assuming that the people doing the shortlisting / interviewing already know you so you don't need to mention things. Even if it is being done entirely by your existing managers (depending on local processes, they might bring in someone from HR or whatever) pretend that you don't know them and that you need to tell them things.

And read the new job description / person specification and address your new application to that, not just copypasta the original application. If you've got knowledge of any of these other services from the user's perspective, then that may well be worth mentioning.

Hope it goes well.

29. equationgirl

Nothing to report here, although I did manage to get some actual work done today uninterrupted, which was nice.

Justification written and sent to relevant people. 2nd consultation not yet scheduled, notes from 1st meeting not yet written up.

30. Puddy_Tat

today has, as arkwright would have said, been a funny sort of day.

was made aware when i arrived at work that a large consignment of shit was about to land, but until mid afternoon wasn't quite sure what the situation was going to be (it required other people to find out what was going on elsewhere) so other than having outline plans A, B and C to deal with the likely situations, couldn't really do a lot about it.

all the result of something being bodged in mid december when assorted other shit was flying around and someone decided we didn't have time to do it properly then.

blargh.

equationgirl likes this.