work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

That's really crap equationgirl . Strength and sympathy to you

Almor and equationgirl like this.
  2. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Could you take the time in odd days - or even half days maybe, working round what other people have off?
    but from here it sounds like you should be able to carry over up to 8 days - i guess check with your union, if you're in one, if its going to be hassle

Orang Utan likes this.
  3. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Might actually work out quite well as I might be able to take off a bunch of Fridays and Mondays so I can visit friends in London for long weekends. But I think lots of people do that too, so requests could be denied. I better request it all tomorrow.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

:(

at this stage, they ought to be identifying roles they want to make redundant, not people. there is something of a difference, so it's something you should try not to take personally. (if they are doing it personally, especially if they are targetting people on any grounds 'protected' by equalities legislation, they are doing it wrong. (one of my former employers more or less decided to get rid of most people over 40, and i know a few of my colleagues got out-of-court settlements as a result)

and, for that matter (i know nothing about your organisation, of course) if there are X number of posts now doing this range of work, and they want to end up with less than X, then all the posts within that range of workers are 'at risk'

have they detailed what their criteria are going to be for selecting people for redundancy?

have they suggested what alternatives to redundancy there may be? some organisations i've worked for have, in the first instance, asked if any staff want to go part time / take a sabbatical.

then are they going to do voluntary redundancy? to the best of my knowledge, there's no obligation on employers to do this, and no obligation to provide enhanced terms for voluntary redundancy. there's also a few practicalities - to best of my understanding, voluntary redundancy is OK for signing on job seekers (things may have changed with universal clusterfuck) although some income protection insurance things won't pay out for voluntary redundancy.

and volunteering for redundancy and not getting it for whatever reason (another of my former employers usually had more people asking to go than they actually wanted to get rid of) can be kinda uncomfortable.

i'm fairly confident you can find stuff on CAB and ACAS websites about all this sort of thing so not going to hunt down links (but can do if you want) and no doubt the union's on to it.

think you've said you're a union rep. you may need to think about just how to handle this and possibly seek advice from union colleagues / branch officers or whatever - it's sometimes possible to be too close to a situation, and there's a risk that your colleagues may wonder (whatever your actions and motives, which i am sure would be honourable) if you've got a conflict of interests between fighting to keep their jobs and fighting to keep your own.

from what you've said about the place, gut feeling is that being paid to gtfo could well be the best long term thing for you - but you know your circumstances and what the situation is for getting jobs doing whatever it is you do and / or wherever you are.

best of luck

ETA

and have a

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    oryx, Almor, StoneRoad and 5 others like this.
  5. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Did my first days agency work earlier this month. Just got a payslip through and they have deducted money for holiday pay. That's pretty sneaky as it's means the quoted rates aren't like for like with other jobs.

I also don't want them doing it. As I'm only going to be doing a small amount of work for them, I'd rather they just pay it to me now. I assume they are allowed to do this as Hays are a big company and they normally follow the letter of the law, but can I request they don't?

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

bored

bored

BORED :mad:

7. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Snap. Did 14 hours yesterday where the highlight was going to the shop and digging someone's car out. I was so bored that I started looking at reddit, something I said I'd never do.

I was only covering. They still don't seem to have worked out who is taking me of today. There's no management in the office and the snow is coming down hard.

8. Pickman's model

Oh I have management. I have things to do. But they're all so fucking boring.

equationgirl and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  9. Pickman's model

So now I'm in a pub, first time I've gone to the pub in work lunchtime since 2015, and first time on my tod since 2001

10. sorearm

sorearm wanna buy some pegs dave?

equationgirl ... sorry to hear that. Totally fucking sucks :( Hope you're OK ...

existentialist and equationgirl like this.
  11. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Steady now

12. Pickman's model

i was steady then too.

Orang Utan likes this.
  13. Pickman's model

that's fucking shit equationgirl :mad:

(((((equationgirl)))))

existentialist and equationgirl like this.
  14. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Good luck with the fight, equationgirl

Sorry to hear what you're going through.

equationgirl likes this.
  15. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Thanks everyone.

Work today was interesting. All but a handful of colleagues came and spoke to me and said it was a terrible decision, that they couldn't believe it and they hoped I was OK. Even someone I don't get on with that well was quite upset. It was humbling and comforting to know I have the support of my colleagues (most of them anyway).

Someone left chocolate anonymously on my desk. That made me cry a little.

Getting great advice from union, and starting to work internal network to see if I can transfer to a different section.

One finds out who one's friends are in this process, that's for certain.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  16. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

Oh, bollocks.

equationgirl and Pickman's model like this.
  17. equationgirl

Pretty much.

Someone is going to speak to the CEO about it today, as they have a meeting with him. Unless it's cancelled of course.

Pickman's model likes this.
  18. existentialist

It sounds as if this process is being conducted with the flair and panache we have grown accustomed to expect from your immediate management team, at least...

19. sorearm

It does doesn't it. Makes me fucking fume.

equationgirl has been the lynchpin of this place and taken on so much and proved her metal. To be treated like this just takes the piss. I think they will find out what a mistake it will be if/when equationgirl finds somewhere that respects her ability and work more ...

20. equationgirl

There's worse things already but can't post publicly, also as expected.

It's shit for certain.

Pickman's model and sorearm like this.
  21. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

on the one hand you really need to get out of that place.

on the other hand it's never that simple.

hope it works out ok for you. the bastards.

equationgirl likes this.
  22. sorearm

:mad:

yeah, they are fuckers. screw them. Hope everything is OK equationgirl

23. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

Have just found out that the company I work for took £168 million in revenue last quarter, or which £104 million was profit.

Yesterday they announced that they are laying off about 60 odd staff.

24. sorearm

Just wtf.

Talking about 'making out like bankers'

25. equationgirl

There's worse things already but can't post publicly, also as expected.

It's shit for certain.
    Reducing overhead by any chance?

That's shit, hope you are OK.

26. equationgirl

Oh indeed. I spoke to my union rep who will come with me to meetings. He's almost looking forward to meeting with my line manager because it's going to be interesting to hear his answers, to say the least.

27. Pickman's model

so i was getting round to doing a spot of lifting i'd been putting off when i found there were no boxes to put the stuff in.

which is obvs a pity.

so i can't do it.

which is frustrating because i'd been relying on that to make me look busy this afternoon.

crossthebreeze and equationgirl like this.
  28. equationgirl

Think the shock is wearing off, I feel very panicky and anxious, and a bit teary.

29. existentialist

The redundancy thing is shit quite apart from all the practical worries, because it is really hard to get past the "they don't want/value me" thing. It's a kind of bereavement, and right now you're in that loved-one-in-critical-condition space, so you're going to be doing some grieving.

It's a horrible thing to put anyone through. I know it's sometimes unavoidable, but I think employers could do a lot more to recognise the misery they are causing people when they initiate the redundancy process.

(((equationgirl)))

equationgirl likes this.
  30. equationgirl

I haven't felt like this since a horrible break-up in 2004 ( which incidentally lead me to urban in 2005 as it took ages for me to get through). I've got a ton of stuff I need to do, like my tax return and go through this thread to pull out all the times he's been a shit, and I can't focus to do any of it.