1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

My work went through the redundancy crap at the end of last year. It was absolutely soul-destroyingly horrible.

Now we're several staff down, but still expected (of course) to produce the same amount and standard of work. Tempers are fraying!

muscovyduck and equationgirl like this.
  2. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Fuck. More bad news today about my other job today.

Unless funding comes in or I get some more self-employed work or another job I won't be earning enough to even cover my rent by May.
    And as I'm self-employed getting any housing benefit or universal credit would probably be even more of a nightmare than usual.

So basically the next few months I'm going to be: working (and writing funding applications there); applying for any jobs out there; working out a business plan for doing more self-employed work, advertising my services and (ugh) networking; and sorting out my flat so that I can get a lodger if I need to.
    Talk about a kick up the fucking arse. And all I want to do right now is curl up in bed.

3. existentialist

existentialist It could always be worse.

Argh, I feel your pain. The precariousness (and so often the unavoidability) of the self-employed lifestyle...

4. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

crossthebreeze - I can't "like" that situation, but have a fist bump in solidarity !
    I hope that you can get the extra self-employed or other work as easily as possible.

(I am currently writing yet another bid for work ... so I know how that feels)

5. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Thinking of you crossthebreeze that's tough. Completely understand the 'crawl into bed' urge.

6. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

They don't want me at work, they don't want to pay redundancy so they won't directly replace my role, just re-name the position and employ someone with diferent skills, they won't give me any real training for this "new" role but after enquiering have offered some ad hoc "training". Work is fuckin shit.

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

(((crossthebreeze))) :(

crossthebreeze likes this.
  8. equationgirl

How long have you been there and are you in a union?

9. existentialist

Assuming you have been there long enough to enjoy employment protection (2 years), they can't just fundamentally change your job unilaterally. At worst, that can be constructive dismissal.

10. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

Chilli.s

blargh.

indeed.

worth talking to union (if possible), or acas - advice page on website here, but they do have a telephone line that anyone can ring up for an (anonymous) chat.

changes to job / contract / duties is not an easy one to call. someone who (to give an extreme example) refused to upgrade to a newer version of MS Office would probably not be protected, but someone expected to use a completely new bit of software with no training is arguably being undermined in their job.

employers can't just impose a new contract of employment (if whatever it is that's happening is that drastic)

and if they are effectively make your current role redundant, by wanting you to do stuff that's completely outside the job description / contract you were employed on, then they should offer 'reasonable' redeployment if possible, or failing that, it's a redundancy situation. (just what is considered 'reasonable' in law is the sort of concept that keeps a lot of lawyers in business...)

an example that's immediately obvious (to me anyway) is when buses went over to 'one person operation', if a driver had been taken on with a contract that didn't include them being a one-person driver, then they were entitled to redundancy, not a 'you must do this or resign' situation.

'constructive dismissal' should be handled with care - and qualified advice. generally, you need to show you've at least tried to resolve something through employer's grievance procedure before you quit.

11. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

brief summary of today

[​IMG]

(it would be too complicated to go in to detail on the things that went wrong today and the major balls-up narrowly avoided)

i have at least managed to bring home some work i can do over the weekend rather than having to go in on saturday

12. equationgirl

Liked for being able to bring work home, not the rest of it, Puddy_Tat. Seems you're having a pretty rough time of things at present.

13. equationgirl

Should know next week (maybe by Wednesday, probably by Friday) if my role is facing redundancy.

It's been a draining week, but there have been some interesting reactions from people. Despite everyone being warned on Monday that my department could lose a third of staff, some people have been wandering around blithely telling others that they are safe (nobody is right now), some have distanced themselves completely from their colleagues and tried to grab various pieces of work solely for themselves and others have been preaching the end of the world to anyone around.

The vast majority have an air of resignation but continued to work normally as best they can under the circumstances. I've had requests in from the parent company on odd topics which has at least given me something else to think about in between union meetings.

Trying to rest as much as possible this weekend, next week will be tough.

crossthebreeze and muscovyduck like this.
  14. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for you.

crossthebreeze and Almor like this.
  15. equationgirl

Thank you :)

I have my back up plan already planned out, so if the worst happens I will not be destitute, and as existentialist has said, it might not be the worst thing in the world.

Several people have remarked to me that they wonder if the head of department will make obnoxious admin redundant, as the other admin is bubbly, pleasant and actually helpful and the department loves her.

16. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Finger crossed! :)

17. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

or promote them to management?

:p

18. existentialist

This is intriguing. It's easy to start looking for Signs where there are none, but if the parent company were trying to establish where the Fount of All Knowledge really lay, as opposed to the mess of people frantically claiming credit for the efforts of others, which by your account seems to go on a lot there, then that would be a good way for them to go about it. Something to pin a little spare hope on, maybe?

muscovyduck likes this.
  19. equationgirl

Well I think she thinks we are her underlings already, so if it were formalised there might be a riot :eek:

20. equationgirl

I think it's more I get asked all the odd jobs because I'm not that phased by something outside my comfort zone. I just think 'that request is a bit odd and shows no understanding of how engineers work', do a bit of research and send them a response after consultation with the head of department.

I'm not sure they would save me, they think I'm very difficult :D

21. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Thanks for your helpful comments people.They help put it in a clearer perspective and sooth my worries. It seems I have it a lot easier than some on here, wishing more strength to you all.

I was a bit Friday nighty last night!

crossthebreeze likes this.
  22. equationgirl

This thread is for everyone, redundancy worries are always shite. If you are not in a union please try to join one. I wish you all the best and ask anything if you have more questions.

Chilli.s and crossthebreeze like this.
  23. equationgirl

Letters may be given out over two days instead of one, as has been traditional. It's rumoured that the head of department may have to give out all of them personally, his avoidance of same got him onto a spot of bother last time.

Just want it over with, people are becoming somewhat strained.

24. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Good luck, equationgirl - I've been through this process a few times now and it never gets any less stressful.

25. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

First world problems here, but I've been given a week's holiday already, despite working there only three weeks, but I have to take it before the end of March and loads of people are booked off already, so I might not get it at all, and apparently I can't carry it over. That can't be right, can it?

26. equationgirl

Depends on the holiday policy your organisation has and how they deal with how holiday accrues. It sounds like the accrue per quarter, hence the week, but check the policy where it should be explained. If no policy, speak to line manager and ask them to explain how holiday is accrued and used.

muscovyduck and Orang Utan like this.
  27. equationgirl

Yeah, so, I won redundo 2018 and my role has been put at risk. Line manager didn't start giving out letters until 2.30 so I got my at 3.40, meaning by the time I packed up and left I got a whole extra ten minutes :rolleyes:

Phoned a friend who was still at work when I got home and he said everyone was shell-shocked, completely blindsided by my selection. There have been other surprises including my close friend M which has been extremely upsetting all round.

Tonight, I am sobbing and percolating this information.

Tomorrow, I fight.

28. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

That stinks ! my sympathy equationgirl ...
    rest tonight, draw strength (sending some now)
    and battle tomorrow ...

equationgirl likes this.
  29. equationgirl

Thank you. My brain is all full and jumbled. I will figure it out.

30. existentialist

Even after the departure of our recalcitrant associate, the shit rumbles around. Just had sight of an email from her ally continuing to gripe about the "appointment of the xxxxx director" (that'd be me, then). I've - in the traditional phrase - "got the full confidence of the board", but I really didn't think we were still going to be going around these bloody circles still. I am going to have to nail this one down good and proper, which will no doubt result in all kinds of ruffled feathers and clutching of jewellery. Fuck it, bring it on.

Pickman's model and equationgirl like this.