1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

work is awful again. temporarily but it just massively demonstrates that despite their best intentions the situation is repeatedly fucked up.

i've been able to work on something important and time sensitive this week for the first time in about a month as loads of more critical shit kept getting in the way.

yesterday i got a load of passive aggressive nagging to mentor the new girl instead of priorising this work. i planned to do so today.

this morning i got dragged into a meeting telling me that the important thing that i wanted to prioritise has not only been decided to be the top priority it is now urgent. the big cheese has somewhat arbitrarily decided that it all needs to be done by the end of tomorrow. and in order to achieve this half of the work will be done by someone else so i lose control over it yay! also i had planned to leave early today and that is now not an option.

2. May Kasahara

May Kasahara channelling Lynda Day

How annoying Sapphireblue :mad:

The PM didn't blame me after all :thumbs: but I did discover, at 5.15, that I myself have accidentally fucked up something else which has to be submitted tonight :oops: I don't give a fuck about the thing itself - no one will die as a result, or be out of pocket - but I do care that I have inadvertently caused stress to colleagues I like and respect, and that they'll probably think a bit less of me. Oh well.

3. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Has anyone had any experience of setting up a ltd company or rather how much work is to administer it all compared to just being a sole trader. Reason I ask is that the employment agency I've registered with I can invoice rather then being on PAYE, but only if I'm a ltd company. As I'm already paying my own tax and stuff on other things, it seemed to make more sense. Plus I can try offset some that tax on expenses. That said it it would end up costing me a shed load of time, it's probably not worth it.

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model The word of Sin is Restriction

this is nearly resolved now. i have had six days off recently to use up this time. just another 1h45m to be added and it'll all be resolved: they restored another 28 hours this morning so we're almost there.

fucking crock of shit system though. and the aggravation from it's been one reason why little has been done this morning.

equationgirl and Badgers like this.
  5. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

Finished work early today because the other two men in the van wouldnt talk to one another :eek:
    Appranlty this has been going on for months :facepalm:

A380 and Almor like this.
  6. UnderAnOpenSky

So I may be driving to Amsterdam next year over 5 days supporting a bike event. Emailed them a few weeks back and thought they weren't interested as I don't have bike maintenance experience, but got an email today asking if I can drive a Luton van on my licence. According to google you can drive one of those on a standard car license. :confused:

Wonder if I'd be allowed to stop in Belgium on the way back to pick up a few crates of decent beer?

So first booking of the new year. Which is just as well really as I'm finding the whole not having a solid income to support my freelance work pretty terrifying right now.

7. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

I was a support driver for a bike ride way back in '96, first time driving on the left and despite two slight mishaps I had a great time. I turned into a petrol station on the wrong side of the road with a local police car crew watching and laughing at me, all I could do was shrug and mime sorry to them, and then in Amsterdam I nearly turned onto the foot ferry at the back of the Central Station because my hand written directions weren't very clear.

A380 likes this.
  8. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

This (gov.uk page) may be worth a look.

Broadly, you can drive up to 3.5 tonne vans on a car licence, or up to 7.5 tonne vans if you passed your car test before the rules changed in 1997. Anything over 7.5 tonnes you need some form of LGV / category C licence.

It is possible that there may be complications going outside the UK in the 3.5 - 7.5 tonne bracket. This is a bit outside my line of country, but I'm aware that there are things you can do with mini-buses in the UK that you can't in mainland Europe, and it's just possible that you'd cross in to the realms of drivers hours and tachographs and so on.

If you'll be hiring a van, the hire company should be able to advise. Insurers aren't always right about what you can / can't do.

A380, UnderAnOpenSky and equationgirl like this.
  9. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

I would add that the number of seats in a minibus is also a factor in what you can and can't drive on a "normal car licence" here, and abroad in Europe. Dozen and under should be OK. If I get a chance, I'll edit a link / details to confirm.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  10. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

How old are the men?

11. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

32 and 54 .
    apprantly the younger one if he takes against you will never talk to you again:facepalm: tbf he is having counselling to eat vegetables so a bit odd:hmm:

A380 likes this.
  12. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

8 or 16 seats (plus driver) are thresholds when it comes to driver licensing.

8 seats is still included on car licence, 16 used to be (although not for hire and reward) - there are a few circumstances in the uk where you can drive a 16 seater on a car licence. i'm not sure whether those circumstances apply to the rest of europe.

12 seats is a threshold for certain parking things but not driver licensing

13. UnderAnOpenSky

Nice one. I'm a bit suprised that they asked me if I could do it, but I get the impression it's an office bound person who is dealing with the CVs and she is passing it on to somebody else to check!

I went through all the ball ache of getting my D1 some years back. Now it seems that they have introduced various CPC bits you need to do to keep it valid. Everyone I know whose done these have said that it's painfully badly delivered and they got nothing from it. :(

A380 likes this.
  14. UnderAnOpenSky

It's a bit bonkers really. Even if those seats were empty, technically you shouldn't drive it, yet remove them and you could drive the same van thing on a car license. One place I do some work for has some 8 seaters with a very big boot for this reason.

A380 likes this.
  15. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

As a limited company, you would normally employ an accountant, so that would cost you more. But an accountant might save you money in other ways. (Mine made me go through all my business purchases and claim mileage for shopping trips, perfectly legitimate but I hadn't thought of it). In terms of your time, it shouldn't be any different. Btw, your post suggests that you think that a sole trader cannot claim expenses, which is not true.

16. UnderAnOpenSky

Thanks. I guess I need to see how much it would cost to employ an accountant, although mine are pretty simple, so I guess it shouldn't be much.

I know I can claim expenses, it's the main reason I can justify going over to Wales for work. It's more that I could then put the agency work through the same process and offset a few more costs.

17. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Ah, gotcha.

18. existentialist

existentialist Spartacus? No, never heard of him.

You need the D1 entitlement on your licence to drive a 16 seater. If you passed your test before 1997 (I think), it'll be automatic, otherwise I think you have to do some kind of additional test.

equationgirl and Pickman's model like this.
  19. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

Otherwise it is eight only, which is *a bit of a pain* for schools and lots of team events.
    Luckily, I have the earlier full licence. OH has done at least one version of the school minibus course ...

20. existentialist

existentialist Spartacus? No, never heard of him.

Even if you have the D1 entitlement, quite a lot of organisations want you to do their specific training course. But - I now learn - the only way to get D1 entitlement is to take another driving test, including all the theory/hazard perception stuff, which I also swerved by getting my licence in 1986 </sassaferrato> :D

21. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

Computer system fucked,well more fucked than normal. Hopefully might be unfucked in the new year off now so don't care.

equationgirl and Almor like this.
  22. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

the D1 that came with the car licence is - and only ever was - on basis of "not for hire and reward"

voluntary sector stuff can be ok, but it's all a bit complicated

23. UnderAnOpenSky

I've done all that. Fortunately had a decent employer at the time as failed the first one. Training and tests were over a grand. :oops:

So it fucks me off as a freelancer I've now got to do shit CPD to keep valid to drive for reward. It's particularly annoying as it's an industry where people pride themselves in delivering engaging and fun sessions, so paying lots of money for dull as dishwater mundane training is even less appealing.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    A380 and existentialist like this.
  24. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Hurrah! Work is finished until 2018! Which is just as well because I am completely out of energy to keep going.

I got a metric fuckton of work done this year without assistance including a load of crap from the parent company. It will be appraisal time when I go back to work which is always a delight, however the company is running an awards programme too and I noticed that I've actually been nominated for an award for encouraging and assisting other engineers with their professional qualifications. I'm unlikely to win but really pleased that my hard work has been noticed :)

There have been lots of dramallamas these past few days. Someone gave a mean-spirited present as part of secret santa - they were making a point to the secret santa organiser but they weren't the recipient of that present. So to cheer the recipient up we all bought her a small gift and she came in to find a huge pile of presents on her desk. She was blown away, and much happier. Plus the other person has now been served with a lifetime ban on joining in further secret santas.

And the same mean-spirited person is causing issues with the people she manages, which is causing a lot of stress.

All in all, I'm glad to be having a rest :)

sorearm, May Kasahara, Almor and 2 others like this.
  25. UnderAnOpenSky

Thank fuck for the Xmas break eh equationgirl?

That's really shit behaviour from a manager. They are supposed to be the folk who support that sort of thing, no matter how awfull it may seem.

26. equationgirl

This person was made a manager this year, in fact only a few months ago, has had no training in how to be a manager and is basically repeating the same terrible behaviour our former manager used to demonstrate when we worked in the same team. She's essentially micromanaging, is being inflexible and rigid and trying to control her staff very tightly. It's going to implode messily.

likesfish and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  27. equationgirl

Are you getting a decent break too UnderAnOpenSky you worked pretty hard this year too?

28. UnderAnOpenSky

Last few days of care work this weekend. Done some underground training this week in Wales. No days work booked for 2018 yet. :eek:

Going to find out what the crack is going in to the NY for the care side. It's totally shit what they've done to it, but have at least imported some competent management in until the new one starts and he can make it his own. I've gone from saying I'll never step foot in there again to considering being bank staff. As some one pointed out to me it's just big corporate and it will be the same anywhere I go as agency. :(

All about what they can offer me though. They are trying to make staff sign contracts that say if they leave in two years they have to pay back training. Not sure how that works if your bank. My union would have a field day with that I'm sure if I hadn't already handed in my notice.

29. equationgirl

My workplace does that for training courses that cost a lot of money, such as a degree course. If you leave within 6 months after completing you pay back 75% of the course, 1 year 50%,and 18 months 25%. It's fairly common I think. I have objections to it because if the course is considered by my work to be essential for me to carry out my job, why should I pay it back?

Almor, muscovyduck and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  30. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

dunno really, i can see both sides here - at least they are trying to develop existing staff (or taking staff on at a trainee level) rather than just recruiting people who already have whatever qualification it is...

imposing it on casual staff is a bit more troubling, though.