work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Wow, big move! Here's to the next phase of your life :)

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Cheers EQG - not thinking beyond the next few weeks but am laid back about it!

May Kasahara likes this.
  3. equationgirl

Sounds like a great plan to me.

Pickman's model and oryx like this.
  4. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...BIG FEELINGS! :D Are you gonna have some time out or are you already looking for other jobs?

oryx and equationgirl like this.
  5. equationgirl

In other news, admin has returned to work part time after her unfortunate accident. Which is good because she's still difficult to deal with for long periods of time.

I finish up for Christmas in two weeks. Feels like an eternity.

6. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Best of luck with whatever's next. Onwards and upwards.

Pickman's model and oryx like this.
  7. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I am not looking for other jobs right now, TBH. I have had it up to here <points to top of head :D> with big corporate housing associations and the future workflow hell, increasing distance from residents etc. etc. (you'll understand!!).

I am taking a break for now and will go for another job if it's with a small/local organisation, part-time or something different. But for right now - not planning anything.

8. existentialist

existentialist # #A52A2A

The way you said "unfortunate accident" there... :hmm: :D

9. equationgirl

I was not involved :D

10. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

:hmm:

is there anyone who can verify where you were at the time?

:p

11. equationgirl

12. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

What a fucking clusterfuck. My main job has been hard these last five years, but it's only when it's gone you realise how good it was. When the company was took over loads of staff left and I handed in my notice. All the people who stayed have been there then less a year. Manager left (was pushed) pretty quickly. Its kinda being managed by the old company director who sold the business till the takeover is complete. She's mostly held it together, but suspect she's sold her soul to the devil and is now really feeling that. Was added to a WhatsApp group chat. Those who are left are leaving on mass, to the point the business probably can't legally run. For some silly reason I agreed to work past my notice period (I only used to do 7 days a month).

I'm actually really really fucking angry as greed has broken something flawed, but good. The care system is fucked, but in that, we managed some good work and made a difference to the lives of some young people who'd had a really shit hand dealt to them. And now it's been destroyed all in the name of profit. :(

Pickman's model and equationgirl like this.
  13. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

Member of teaching staff quitting at end of december, 2 others leaving soon, got to find some more teachers. Stress.

equationgirl likes this.
  14. equationgirl

Solidarity likes, obviously.

I'm sorry to hear the business has basically torn apart all the good work UnderAnOpenSky :(

Have you managed to find any other work yet?

Mr Precious very difficult all week, can't even do simple things like putting in a travel request to go to a conference. We're on a big austerity push at work so usually conferences have been limited to one or two people, and they have to be giving talks there. There were already two speakers for this conference but his line manager thought he could get Mr Precious to go due to contract he's working on.

So far, so good.

Speakers had sorted out their travel already, but instead of doing a normal request and not making a big deal about people already going, Mr Precious decided he would link all the travel requests together and turn the whole thing into a big production. At which point the head of department told him he couldn't go.

He's now in a massive sulk because it turns out he wanted his wife to go with him too (basically promising her a short trip away on company money. If the wretched man had followed the instructions he was given it would have been fine. But no, he thinks he knows better than everyone else :rolleyes::facepalm:

muscovyduck and Pickman's model like this.
  15. equationgirl

OH, and someone had the bright idea of centralising the stationery supplies in the building but didn't allocate enough space to house them, so there's crates of stationery lying everywhere and now the office looks like a skip.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  16. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

you really do work in the office that inspires Dilbert...

17. equationgirl

I used to read Dilbert and think some offices were really extreme, now I read it and think it's an accurate depiction of my working life.

Then I cry.

sorearm, A380 and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  18. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

19. equationgirl

I don't cry all the time, don't worry.

20. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

We support about 100 remote laptop users across the country as well as the normal sales reps. Recently the remote users laptops have all been having issues hanging randomly for a few minutes at a time and hanging for up to ten minutes every time they want to print anything. We have tried everything to fix this as it's affecting all remote laptop users. After a lot of diagnostics on our side we decide that the most likely culprit is the anti-virus that had had a big update about the same time as the users started complaining. This is controlled by head office. We ask them about it, it turns out that some of their users are also experiencing the same issues but they don't have a clue what is causing it. We present them with all the evidence of the testing we have done, we could only go so far as it's security software and things like the vpn rely on the antivirus running.

Eventually (like two weeks later) we convince head office to look at the AV software, they decide that it might be that, are unable to test if it is, don't want to roll back but there is a new update, so without any testing they are going to roll it out to see if it helps.

So they were supposed to do that this weekend, turns out something crashed so they couldn't and now they are going to try again, at some point. Also heard from a different person in the same dept that they might try rolling the av back to the previous working version, or they might try both.

I'm getting really fed up of having to explain this to every laptop user (who are all managers) that yes, we know that your machine is hanging all the time, yes none of the other fixes worked, no we don't know when it's going to be fixed, and yes we do realise that this is causing you major problems because you can't use your main business tool.

We are now in week 6 of this saga with no end in sight.

21. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Could you just pass them the phone number of head office?

22. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

I wish. Whenever anyone contacts their helpdesk they take great pleasure in patronisingly telling them to contact us. Usually in the form of a ticket that they will sit on for two days before bothering to pass to us.

They are ridiculously incompetent, considering the state of our network and their response to problems I'm flabbergasted that we haven't been cryptolockered to death by now.

23. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

New guy joins. He's smart, quite nice - but thinks I'm his fucking helper not peer.

24. equationgirl

That's going to end well then.

25. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

high shit / fan interaction level.

we are still not there with stuff that ought to have been finished a week and a bit ago.

and a few people are on leave that was agreed on the basis we'd have it all done by now.

it's nearly 10 pm and i'm only 2 stations away from home.

blargh.

26. equationgirl

:(:(:(

Hope today was OK.

27. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

thanks but it wasn't

28. equationgirl

:(:(:(

I think your place has borrowed the shit and the fan from my place.

Mr precious wrote another report. Mercifully, it was only a few pages but most of it was just waffly bollocks. His line manager ended up rewiring large chunks of it but list the will to live about two-thirds through.

It was definitely turd polishing time.

Pickman's model and Puddy_Tat like this.
  29. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

My supervisor keeps not setting me admin/indoor tasks (because I obviously can't do outdoor work when its dark and am not meant to even be in the garden storerooms on my own after dark). I haven't even being doing youth club the last few weeks because she organised for a dance teacher to run some sessions. Which means I keep going home early. Which means I'll have to make up time after Christmas - when I'll have the same problem. I've asked about starting earlier in the morning or even officially varying my hours, but got no's to that too. Yet when my timesheet gets looked at it'll somehow be my fault :confused:. This happens pretty much every year. She's always complaining about having too much admin work to do, and its well within my job description to do it too.

30. May Kasahara

May Kasahara thoughts start with a laser sound

Gutted for you UnderAnOpenSky :(

I have a feeling that our highly paid project management consultant is about to try and blame me for some things that were very clearly his fault...I need to ring him but need to modulate my pissed off tone of voice to the right level first.