work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

On the other hand, and let’s count this as one of my pupil’s work frustrations, though I pissed myself..

I’m trying to make K*** ‘Pupil of the week’. It would mean a lot to him. He doesn’t really deserve it, on merit, but fuck merit. Sometimes personal considerations override merit.

Anyway, he starts playing up a bit in class, because he hates maths.

Me. “C’mon K***, Pupil of the week remember? Let’s do fractions.”

K*** “I hate fractions. I can’t do them.”

Me. “But that what you come to school for isn’t it? To learn how to do stuff you can’t do?”

K*** “No. That’s not what I come to school for.”

Me “Why do you come in to school every day then K***?”

K*** “So my parents don’t go to jail.”

And for that alone I’m going to make sure he gets ‘pupil of the week’. :D

Saffy, Artaxerxes, ruffneck23 and 9 others like this.
  2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

It would take too long to explain today

[​IMG]

will have to suffice

muscovyduck, A380 and equationgirl like this.
  3. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Puddy_Tat that doesn't sound good, hope you are OK.

Puddy_Tat likes this.
  4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

meh

i'm still alive and trying to summon up the energy to go to bed

but thanks

equationgirl likes this.
  5. equationgirl

Tomorrow will be better.

6. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

it wasn't

:(

7. equationgirl

Oh :(

It's almost the weekend, does that help?

8. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

a bit

the impending pile of crap for next week is not yet at a stage where working tomorrow would be worth it...

9. equationgirl

Take a break this weekend if you can.

Admin is rumoured to be coming back to work on Monday. No-one is thrilled about her impending return...

10. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

couldn't you have moved her desk to the basement / corridor / car park / roof (delete as appropriate depending on layout of workplace) in her absence?

:p

11. equationgirl

Sadly not , it's part of a bank of desks bolted together. I am tempted to order some googly eyes and stick them all over her monitor :D

A380 likes this.
  12. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

can you edit the autocorrects on her computer so that stuff gets 'corrected' to swear words?

13. equationgirl

No chance of access, sadly...

14. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

15. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

i've been struggling for weeks now with the fact that a boy who sits relatively near SNIFFS. proper rank loud sniffs that make me feel sick. i'm having to wear headphones at all times which i hate. i've asked the boss to have a word and he's basically refused on the grounds that i'm over-reacting.

new girl started today, sits next to me. absolutely horrific timing as i'm massively stressed and too much to do so can't help welcome her or anything. to top it all off she also sniffs. she's clearly got a cold but it's fucking constant and i haven't seen her use a tissue even once. i may bludgeon her to death. seems proportionate.

16. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

My sympathy - I hate sniffers, both the noise effects and the principle. Your snotty nose is trying to get rid of something, take the hint and get rid of it (and flush the tissue ...).
    In an open plan office a few years ago, the chronic sniffer was getting to be really irritating - he was sniffing about every 45 seconds (various people counted !) but eventually he had some time out at a meeting, a couple of the other attendees were GPs ! We also bought a huge supply of paper tissues and left them on his desk ...

17. equationgirl

I hate sniffers too, have been known to give packs of tissues to culprits at work. Worst us someone who clears his throat every few minutes in a really odd way, sounds more than a horse than a cough. I wear my headphones most of the day to stop me losing my shit.

A380 likes this.
  18. Sapphireblue

i've been on the verge of killing someone from sheer workload for a while now. i had to let a customer go ignored for over a week as least urgent. last few days i've had to pick up other people's messes cos they are incapable. i couldn't go on the recent customer visit, partly due to workload and the people who went instead didn't manage to get anything that needed clarifying sorted and only added to the list of unanswered questions. i've been in a back and forth with said customer on a couple of points where they are basically refusing to understand. it has now been decided that someone else can send them a document about the thing and will somehow magically fix everything and understanding will come from the heavens. this is despite the fact that i've repeatedly explained it very clearly and that this colleague is one of the people i've been cleaning up after. but THEY will fix it. apparently it's been decided i'm not capable. really want to just go home and let everything i've been holding up collapse. the only thing keeping me sane has been that i'm appreciated and now i'm doubting it.

19. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Time to use some annual leave...

20. equationgirl

^^^^ This.

Headphones listening to music or to a programme on YouTube helps enormously, I find. Especially true crime. Or assassin's creed, which has a satisfyingly level of fighting and weaponry.

Mr precious is on a sticky wicket. He was asked to do literally two hours work to produce something by close of play today, but has managed to spend two days whinging about it instead. It was such an easy thing to do I could have done it. But no. Too difficult for the precious one.

Shame it's a contractual deliverable.

A380 likes this.
  21. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

not sure i've heard such quantity or variety of swearing at work for some time...

(colleagues that is)

equationgirl likes this.
  22. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Working as a third party contractor at a previous employer I have been informed that the computer consumables for the current equipment, which is to be replaced sometime next year, are now running out because they forgot to order enough stock in to cover the existing sites that need these consumables until they are swapped over to the new kit. Some things never change with this company.

23. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

and presume now they won't let you order any more for obsolete kit.

24. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Suspicion is again pointing towards the recruitment consultants upstairs as there is a story going around that someone has taken a shit next to one of the downstairs mens toilets which is why they are now closed off.

Fucking hell.

25. Sapphireblue

on the plus side got taken aside and reassured that the other guy doing this thing for me is because they know i have too much to do and not a judgement on my ability. and sorry i'm stressed and to let them know if they can help.
    the fact that guy is flaky as fuck and partly caused my stress is unfortunately something they can't help with. but nice of them to be nice.

also they were on about delegating when i can. hmm. the reason everything went to pot recently was because i DID delegate and the fuckwits fucked it up and i had to sort it double-quick time as it had become an emergency due to the incompetence of the colleagues who were meant to be dealing with it. it was dead embarrassing, i oversaw setting something up on a customer environment using a set of info that was meant to be provided by the fuckwits. the information given was incomplete so i had the customer going 'x hasn't been done' and i was like 'sorry i didn't know about x but i'm sorting it now'. for about 5 things over several days. looking super-competent :cool:
    i know how to avoid that stress next time - not getting involved at all and letting the muppets do the final steps and deal with the complaints.

26. Sapphireblue

also the sniffing has subsided so hopefully was just a cold...

27. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

the fuckers

equationgirl and Sapphireblue like this.
  28. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Correct. Email sent out asking all contractors to keep an eye out for any items at closing sites that can be collected and then passed on as required.

29. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

i can let you have some carbon paper at a very reasonable price, if you like

(actually, i can't - did find a heck of a lot that must have been hoarded by a now retired colleague some time last year when we had a bit of an office tidy-up)

30. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

WF ceased for now. I left today after taking voluntary redundancy. I'm a bit fazed after having been there for nine years and I will miss some of the lovely people there, many of whom I will stay in touch with but...

.. OH THE RELIEF!:thumbs::thumbs:

Sapphireblue, Sue, Rutita1 and 2 others like this.