1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

work frustrations

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pingu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

I meant that I've lost two hours of work a day - usually I'd be working from 8am to 2pm, but this week I'm finishing at 12.

2. equationgirl

equationgirl Do you believe you can walk on water?

OH. Still a bit crap.

Today I had another fight with administrative over her ordering me about. Plus she told me something that is blatantly wrong so will likely be having another fight with her tomorrow. Awesome.

Just as well I'm not busy.... Oh, wait.

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

We can now dress down at work, a long held dream of mine.

Well shit, I'm not buying an entire new wardrobe to do this, I own exactly 1 short sleeved shirt, no none white shirts and no polo t-shirts.

Fuck it, I'll stick to these shitty white work shirts and shit smart trousers I guess.

4. May Kasahara

May Kasahara the kindness kind

Getting ready to head over to one of our sister venues for a meeting. Deputy head of college happens to pop in, I ask if he's going too - oh no, he says breezily, it's been cancelled.

I minute this meeting.

I have had zero communication from anyone about this.

I am really fucking busy right now.

Just as well I didn't print 12 sets of papers already, eh?

:mad:

5. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

The residential care home I still do a 7 day shift in each month has changed the start time of that shift from 10 to 9. Which I know is what time plenty of people have to get to work for, but it's a fair drive and it now means I've got to get started considerably earlier then an hour so I can fight my way through the traffic. :(

6. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

we are kinda busy for various reasons - slight peak of work, couple of people off sick.

our shite software package has decided to start eating data again.

only consolation is that head of department is on holiday so not around to fuck things up more...

equationgirl likes this.
  7. equationgirl

This is the bane of my life at the moment, people not communicating directly to me. I hope you did something better instead in the time set aside for the meeting.

My line manager has starting sending admin over with instructions for me (never mind the fact it will take him longer to instruct her to ask me stuff, then just ask me direct). He's making a point of some kind, I am just not entirely sure what it is either although I have some ideas.

Also, I had to tell him I will be needing more time off for medical stuff over the next few months as my kidney is not doing so good, basically due to stress, and that the stress is affecting my health. He blatantly couldn't have given fewer fucks if he tried, and then bollocked me on work I was working on (not clearing it fast enough). Didn't want to talk about reducing my workload in the slightest.

I Asked him which of the things I was working on he wanted me to work on first. He couldn't tell me. So I finished the one with the deadline of today first, then when I finished mere hours later I did the other. Had I not had continuous interruptions and the administration being obnoxious they probably would have been done sooner.

Pickman's model and sorearm like this.
  8. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

Staff thinking it is good idea to tell a teacher to 'suck it up' when he needed support/help.
    Had to swap classes around so teacher would not walkout, now I am the bad guy for not going through proper steps with the staff who have the people skills of a hive of bees.

9. sorearm

sorearm wanna buy some pegs dave?

Good for you, hopefully a good position will be available and you'll be skipping along to it! What a bunch of cunts your place sounds like :(

Celyn and existentialist like this.
  10. equationgirl

Today I have purposefully not really engaged with people. It's amazing the faux concern that has suddenly appeared. I have been civil to those offering such concern but merely offered a breezy 'fine' in response.

Cannot wait to get out...

11. sorearm

Great mental attitude to take, fuck them!!!! :thumbs:

12. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

I'm a bit annoyed at my boss. I'm going to glasto later today, I'm a contractor and obv don't get holiday, I'm also skint which he knows. I asked if I could work 8-18:30 mon and tues to make up another day in wages. I do have enough work to keep me busy, though nothing urgent. He said no cos they don't need me for those hours. Technically they don't but it would have been no issue at all to allow me to do the extra hours. I could have got a lot done.

Instead I'm doing my normal hours, but achieving nothing.

13. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

Having been "on site" for about ten days (two hours drive away) I've just checked the hours diary at work and had a discussion with the workshop manager.
    The guy who is supposed to do 70 hours a fortnight (unevenly split as he has shared child care responsibilities) has been doing substantially less for some time. He's already had a verbal warning about disappearing particularly early on Fridays, not telephoning when absent and ignoring instructions - all of which have donald-ducked the planned work scheme and put the project back by about couple of weeks as he hasn't been completed stuff by when it was required and things have had to be re-done.
    So what happened last week ; he's short of at least an hour a day (by having later starts than agreed) plus he skived for over half an hour packing his van after having the full lunch break (not his usual style) and then went off four hours early on the Friday (so he could go to an event) without telling anyone in advance. He has already exceeded any holiday entitlement
    Another thing that is driving me nuts. He is again ignoring legitimate instructions from the workshop manager and me, we have a particular way of working and certain things have to be done to fulfil our obligations to heritage clients. He's been told this, repeatedly, and yet again I find him doing "modern professional shortcuts" that he has been told not to use and not finishing the work properly (eg cleaning glued joints and priming concealed areas).
    All in all, I think we will have to give another warning, official and written this time, he's already got through the several unofficial "word in the ear" and verbal warnings.

14. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

god i'm bored

did everything i needed to do today in all of 15 minutes this morning.

managers intermittently in the office so can't post here as much as i'd like.

15. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Its Hammock Time

I need to remain neutral to keep my job. Ethical dilemma 101. My values say to fight, not just assist the casualties :( This is tough *sigh*

16. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

Fain a stomach ache and acute headache, maybe.

17. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Can your boss tell you take annual leave for a few days (via email) without explaining it and say they'll be in touch tomorrow when "I've had time to think"

Also had meeting that I thought would just be with them with an added person last week!!

18. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears 54-46 that's my number

British Academy proposal deadline at 5pm, power cut across all Lancaster, Morecambe, Carnforth etc including at the university at 11am. Working on laptop battery until it died, now working on a colleague's. Phoned British Academy who clearly thought I was making it up and refused to grant an extension to the deadline. Phones died. Servers died so can't access the costing system or network files. WiFi now off in the Faculty, walked across campus to find more...

*head explodes*

19. equationgirl

Fuck. How did you get on?

20. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears 54-46 that's my number

Found WiFi in a college bar, speedily rewrote the justification for resources and submitted it with 25 minutes to go. That was a bit tighter than I like!

21. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Just found out I'm getting made redundant today as they're shutting down our whole division - two days before I was planning to hand my notice in :thumbs: Bonus for me tempered by concerns for my colleagues though.

22. sorearm

Does that mean you get some dosh?

23. equationgirl

Well done :) Hope you get it.

24. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Looks that way - they've informed us we're in a "consultation" phase but that's just for form I think as they will be shutting this department down.

25. equationgirl

That's good for you, sorry to hear about your colleagues :(

26. equationgirl

How many of you are there?

27. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

A massive three people! I'm the only manual worker, the other two from the office should get decent settlements and quite possibly a sideways move in the company if they want,

28. Libertad

Libertad Squeako

Hope you get a good payout JimW, drinks on you in the Prince Albert. :thumbs:

29. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Still on enforced leave, no word today fuck knows what's going to happen next

30. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

sorearm likes this.