work email fails to avoid

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pickman's model, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

I hate it when people send something and cc in your boss(es) and loads of other cunts to sort of proactively grass. Snide as fuck.

gawkrodger, Stig, Badgers and 16 others like this.
  2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat That's Puddy Tat Esq to you

i can't remember if i have posted this on here before, but...

some years ago, when e-mail was a fairly new thing, and a lot of small firms still didn't do it, the place i worked had something in our e-mail system that meant you could send something as an e-mail, and it would come out the other end as a fax (you had to enter the fax number somehow - i can't remember the detail now)

i sent one like this mid afternoon one day, and didn't really register that i hadn't had the 'this fax has been delivered' e-mail, as i was trying to get stuff done before going on holiday for a week. but i did remember to set up my "i'm on holiday, sod off" out of office e-mail response.

about 11 pm that day, the e-mail system gave up trying to send it and sent me an automated e-mail saying "your fax hasn't been delivered, please try again"

this generated an "i'm on holiday, sod off" response.

the fax bit of the e-mail system replied with something like "i don't recognise this as a fax, sod off"

to which my out of office replied "i'm on holiday, sod off"

and repeat, apparently about 10,000 times

:oops: :facepalm: :D

Badgers, S☼I, muscovyduck and 9 others like this.
  3. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

This ^^^:mad:

4. marty21

In the early days of office email (90s) a manager at a place I worked sent a flirty email to a female colleague, she got loads of us to reply to him to convince him he had sent it to everyone (maybe 1000 staff) and he was convinced he had :D it was more difficult to check and he was useless at email tbf.

Badgers, Yu_Gi_Oh, pinkmonkey and 7 others like this.
  5. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

When I worked for Evil American Megacorp, their email disclaimer at the bottom included the helpful line
    "If this email was not meant for you please do not read it and delete it immiediately"
    Perhaps they thought people read the disclaimer first

6. 8115

8115 Macaroni straws.

I like it when the email has an attachment and the attachment is the person's signature. What a fucking disappointment that is when you're expecting a nice document or something.

7. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

I have to admit I have the letters for my professional qualification in my work signature. Work paid for us to do the exam and want people to know we've got it as it gives us more credibility.

Then I threw in my MSc for good measure while I was at it cos I sweated blood over that thing :oops:

Kind regards,

Ruby Toogood, MSc DILLIGAF

Saffy, Yu_Gi_Oh, muscovyduck and 3 others like this.
  8. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Putting "top urgent!!!!!!!!" in every email subject. Or starting with "sorry to push but...." or "i know you are busy but...".

Or "sorry to step in but......". (This one happens in those annoying "cc everyone" chain emails.)

:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Badgers and 8115 like this.
  9. Puddy_Tat

my electricity supplier includes their logo as a graphic as a bloody big attachment

:mad:

Badgers likes this.
  10. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I actually had an email that wasn't meant for me, and had an amusing (for me) and embarrassing (for them) phonecall about it. I ended up deleting it but not before I thought they were idiots.

MickiQ likes this.
  11. marty21

A bloke at work lost it with a tenant and sent an email threatening to smash up his car :facepalm: luckily he sent it to a defunct email address , unluckily he cc'd various managers & councillors :facepalm:

He is now an ex-colleague .

Badgers, muscovyduck, Celyn and 4 others like this.
  12. Puddy_Tat

I have occasionally managed to send an e-mail to the wrong (for example) Steve

fortunately nothing embarrassing or highly confidential.

one of my colleagues invited the wrong [first name] to a social thing at a weekend via work e-mail. fortunately he was someone at another branch office and was only mildly bemused rather than someone in the same office who hadn't been invited

13. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

Signatures with anything more than position and contact details can absolutely fuck off.

14. Puddy_Tat

someone at our place includes an inspirational quote.

i still haven't quite worked out whether he's taking the piss

Badgers likes this.
  15. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

This happens so often at my place. A new one is blind copying one of the bosses in which I found out when I went to ask her about the email I'd received from someone else and she said "oh yes I was just reading that" and I said but you weren't on the email and it twigged.

16. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

BCC is a whole new level of snide, I would completely disengage with any fucker who did that to me

Badgers, salem, KatyF and 1 other person like this.
  17. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

i can't imagine ever using bcc, except possibly to send awkard work stuff to my personal email in the instance some bullshit was happening.

i might forward something to a manager / boss, because then you can put context in your email about why you're including them in it. i suppose technically it has the same effect but feels less dodgy.

18. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Yeah, I bcc my personal email address sometimes when it looks like a row could kick off or there might be a blame game later :D

gawkrodger and farmerbarleymow like this.
  19. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

We were bitching about the owner of the company that I worked out. I was on emails and said why don't we email them to tell them to fuck off? Then wrote it and put only their first name in the address line. Clicked send. It sent....

Don't do that. :D Did get away with it after a slap on the wrist, but it was a bit stressful.

20. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

this is my life right there. I dont bother with emails unless an answer is demanded and its overseas. if it is that important, they will call. I do not answer the phone either unless I know who it is.The expat staff who constitute much of my workplace do the same as its a cultural stitch up mindset This tactic has done wonders for my stress and mental health.

Proper Tidy likes this.
  21. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I need my gutters cleaned. How much?

22. Saul Goodman

I have a 4-letter domain name, which is apparently very similar to that of a credit management (debt collection) company, and I'm constantly receiving emails containing people's personal info. Almost daily I'm emailing people to tell them they've typod the email address. I've thought about ignoring them but it'd probably mean some poor sod getting in shit.

muscovyduck and Celyn like this.
  23. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

I remember someone I worked with being pulled up on including xtian religious messages in their signature - they were furious that this was challenged, but they were told in no uncertain terms to stop it.

Celyn likes this.
  24. Puddy_Tat

hmm

maybe i should include something about ceiling cat in my signature

25. farmerbarleymow

Yeah, it didn't say 'Jesus Saves - do you really need to print this message'. That's what got the person into trouble as it was a bit wtf. :D

Probably best not to refer to ceiling cat as a pussy, to be on the safe side...

26. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

That is horrendous.:eek: Even little statements like "kittens are nice" or "coffee is good" or "I like to be indoors and have the heating on when it is -1 outside" have no place in anybody's work e-mail signature. Throwing in religious bits is just massively wrong.

Before this Christian type was told to desist, did any co-workers start throwing messages from other religions into their e-mail sigs? :D

27. farmerbarleymow

No, the team got complaints from across the organisation about how inappropriate it was - no-one realised it was happening until then as no-one reads e-mail signatures. It was entertaining - threats of grievances on religious discrimination grounds until they were told to STFU.

In hindsight, some messages about Satan would have been appropriate.

equationgirl and Celyn like this.
  28. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

A lot of my work relies on email communication. Someone at work rarely replies to any email I send, which is annoying when he wants me to prepare an agreement yet doesn't answer emails asking for basic information like who is it with and how long is it for? So eventually I'll get a snide email from him asking where it is and I'll forward the email asking for info that he never replied to.

If my CEO can respond to emails in a timely manner, then this chap can get over himself and reply to emails.

RubyToogood likes this.
  29. Saul Goodman

Indeed.

[​IMG]

equationgirl and Pickman's model like this.
  30. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

My boss includes two inspirational quotes and at least four titles she's assigned herself in her email signature. It makes me cringe so much.

I have a signature that I add in to emails if I'm contacting someone in a professional capacity who I've never met, so they know I'm a Serious Professional Person With Serious Responsibilities, but not when I'm emailing people who I work with every day, ffs. :facepalm:

equationgirl and Badgers like this.