work email fails to avoid

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pickman's model, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

i received a forwarded email about building work that needs to take place in the library where the colleague from estates has their signature thus

upload_2019-9-11_12-57-43.png
    (names have been changed)

never, never use a copperplate font for your signature like it's a letter. and the days when people were impressed by a ba are long gone, the effect these days is the opposite of that desired - and that's before the fact it should be BA (Hons) is considered.

what work email fails have you noticed?

2. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

It irritates me when people use stupid fonts for their name in e-mails. And putting qualifications - or worse, honours like an MBE - makes people look like pretentious twats.

It is only fair enough for medical or legal people, but there is no need for anyone else to do it.

3. Pickman's model

it's particularly stupid when you work for an academic institution and many of the people reading it will have considerably more qualifications than you: without their feeling the need as you say to show it

4. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

Its tempting to add my swimming certificates to my name when responding to people like the one above to piss them off.

5. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

Which is worse, email writers saying the "letters after their name" or contestants on University Challenge still saying what they are "reading"?

tim likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

for the purposes of this thread, the former.

marty21, Celyn, Badgers and 1 other person like this.
  7. Harry Smiles

Harry Smiles Well-Known Member

The letters after name indicating a bog standard degree are always fun. Or junior membership of an Institute, which just means you paid to join

baldrick and farmerbarleymow like this.
  8. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Someone I used to work with had her signature in multicoloured comic sans.. I was managing the global roll out of the corporate rebrand and had to try to get her to change it to the new template. I’d go and sit with her and change it, two days later she’d change it back. And so on and so on...

9. flypanam

flypanam Agrocultured and shitesayer

I do on occasion put MCILIP after my name especially when emailing academic staff members who think librarians just issue books and nowt else. I do it because I picture them wondering what they stand for, but I'm probably over estimating their abilities to finish reading any email judging by the actions of some when they visit the library.

10. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I think it's a charming affectation and bound to impress,
    upload_2019-9-11_13-39-47.png
    (Bronze Swimming Medal, Towcester Baths)

11. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Christ, that took some doing for an unfunny joke :D

gawkrodger, Yu_Gi_Oh, danski and 10 others like this.
  12. Pickman's model

er it should be MCLIP
    upload_2019-9-11_13-41-57.png
    Professional Registration - CILIP: the library and information association

i paid my money for that years back, i should get round to getting a mentor

marty21, flypanam and Badgers like this.
  13. flypanam

Pickman's model likes this.
  14. Pickman's model

so you've just been issuing books ;)

gawkrodger, TopCat and flypanam like this.
  15. flypanam

Pretty much but also giving users the left over cake from from our meet the library staff coffee morning.

tim and Pickman's model like this.
  16. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

The best email fail l heard came from Wales. All road signs must be in Welsh and English. Someone emailed the Welsh speaker with, "What's the Welsh for 'Lorries turn left at next junction'?"

They put the reply on the sign which was actually the Welsh speaker's "out of office, back on Tuesday" auto-response.

Oula, danski, moomoo and 5 others like this.
  17. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

Don’t mark your emails “highly important” with that red triple exclamation mark button. Everyone thinks their email is important. But it might not be to me. In fact, if I see that pompous exclamation mark icon, I deal with it last. And probably do the same the next day and the next day. It may never be dealt with. You want me to read something? Just be courteous and allow me to prioritise my own inbox.

18. Pickman's model

if importance needs mentioning i always select medium

danny la rouge likes this.
  19. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

The best way to get people to read your emails is to immediately try to recall them after sending, meaning everyone gets another email saying "X would like to recall email Y" and instantly goes to email Y to see what embarrassing thing you cocked up.

gawkrodger, Oula, Epona and 18 others like this.
  20. FridgeMagnet

Oh and nobody should use signatures at all. We have this amazing thing called the "From" field.

21. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

I've occasionally failed to attach something to an email and had to have another go ...

22. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

They are useful for including a phone number so that clients can ignore the text of the email and immediately call to ask what you wanted.

Yu_Gi_Oh, BristolEcho, TopCat and 5 others like this.
  23. FridgeMagnet

also a legally unenforceable 500-word disclaimer that nobody has read since it was cut and pasted from another company in the 80s

24. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Dear Harry,

I agree

Kind regards,

The Reverend Orang Utan (Universal Life Church), BA (Hons), Cycling Proficiency, Bronze Medal in Swimming, Rainbow Distance Certificate

BristolEcho, Epona and Harry Smiles like this.
  25. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Gabba Gabba-pentin

what work email fails have you noticed?

Sending a less than complimentary email about your bosses, bosses, boss to your bosses, bosses, boss instead of your husband - from your work email address - in error - obvs.

One of my staff- fucking woo.

26. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

A work mate says he never answers the 1st email about something, he figures if it is an urgent matter they will send a follow up email :D

not-bono-ever and pogofish like this.
  27. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Ransom'd, Stoopid & Roofless

What does a librarian do apart from issue books? Asking for a friend.

28. Orang Utan

Usually everything BUT issuing books tbf

29. flypanam

Collection development which is buying and weeding stock. Negotiates licences with database providers, copyright licence agency, education broadcast licences. Gives classes in how to use a library and how to interrogate the information found. Classes in referencing. Answers simple and complex research questions from all users. Sits on committees like academic board, research committee, technology in learning and teaching committee, and student liaison. I should have said committees! Ensure that all stock is catalogued to international standards so that users from wherever will find what they want and sometimes be a welcoming and friendly face to people who need a friend or just someone to listen to them.

The above is just stuff that I do. I’m sure Pickman's model and other librarians on the boards do different things.

But in a nutshell.

30. Orang Utan

Jon-of-arc this was previously posted on the Who Works In A Library? thread:
    https://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/who-works-in-a-library.84558/page-3#post-16170273
    :)