Wordpress admin screen appears in Google results

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by a_chap, May 7, 2018.

1. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

I Googled something, clicked one of the results and this appears:

upload_2018-5-7_15-5-43.png

Should I do something...?

2. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Why is Wordpress installed if it’s not doing anything?

3. a_chap

As there's a big button labelled "Install WordPress" I'm not sure it is installed.

4. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

You seem to have clicked on a link that installs WordPress. It's not that odd. Not all links are webpages. I think you would know if it was installed already. If you don't want to install it you should close the window and not click on the link again.

Out of interest what did you Google? (assuming it wasn't 'wordpress' or 'install wordpress')

5. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Is this on your site? If it's someone else's you could send them a messgae as it's best these aren't about but tbh there isn't much you can do with this alone as you won't be able to jnstain without active data base login

6. a_chap

The link was to the root of the domain. Seems odd to have that as the WP installer.

Bolivian Estate Agents.

A bit tricky as I can't get contact details (or anything else) from their web site. So all I can do is guess at webmaster@theirDomain

Ok, thanks.

7. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

That's the standard Wordpress Install screen but it's not being installed on your PC but on the server at the other end, Wordpress is installed by running a simple script that unpacks some code and starts up a web installer that the person doing the install connects to and does the configuring.
    You have accidentally stumbled across someone building a server in the the cloud, did the link you click on begin with ec2 and a long string of numbers? then it will be someone using the Amazon Cloud and putting yet more money into Jeff Bezos's back pocket.
    Nothing you do will affect your PC, If you felt like being a malicious dick you could probably waste half an hour of the life of the guy building the server by setting a different password but he/she can fix that easily enough

8. a_chap

Thanks, I kind of realise that :D :D :D

The URL didn't redirect to a cloud-based server; ECS, Azure or anything else.

I'm pretty sure I stumbled across someone doing a re-build or re-platform on their live server :facepalm: as the URL now displays "unknown IP address" as presumably their IT "expert" has turned the box off whilst they scratch their heads trying to figure out what to do next :)

Again, I wasn't worried about my PC. It was more along the "if you were presented with a WP install screen, what would you do?" lines.

9. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I'd install it and point it at a database else where.

Maybe set up a terrible looking page with mspaint drawings that fits the domain name.

cybershot, neonwilderness and a_chap like this.
  10. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, I would permit myself a couple of condescending tut-tuts and then do nothing else, Knowing from personal experience what complete arseholes IT management are, I wouldn't want to get someone a bollocking for what is probably a simple and unintended mistake

11. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Post it on 4chan

12. a_chap

There's a difference between a mistake and downright incompetence. I'm leaning towards it being incompetence myself given that it's this company's live external-facing server.

Ouch.