1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woodland Under Threat -- Attention those who enjoy walking in the Surrey Hills

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by kabbes, Jun 29, 2010.

1. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Loads of errors in it though, which is a shame. The Mail piece is actually much more accurate, no doubt thanks to the journo spending an hour talking to the LHAG chair before writing it.

Loads of press interest right now, which is a bit frustrating because it's at least a year too early. By the time public attention really matters, it'll no doubt have gone away. This is the problem with people turning up without really knowing what's happening of listening to those who do.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Whenever the costs of extraction and getting it to market exceed the revenue from the oil, which in all these marginal cases is highly likely to be the case, especially at the moment.

3. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

4. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

5. kabbes

It was certainly all kicking off this morning. It's ostensibly so that the Environment Agency can erect boreholes to monitor groundwater condition, which they need to do in advance of the drilling as a baseline, and these borehole monitors need to be fenced off. Suspicion, as ever, abounds, however, regarding if Europa and co are up to no good beyond what they are allowed to do at this point.

hash tag likes this.
  6. kabbes

The all important traffic management plan is being heard by the Surrey County Council Planning Committee on August 2nd (tomorrow) at 10:30am in Kingston County Hall. The more people that are there, the more chance that the councillors hearing it will decide to refuse it. If you're anywhere nearby and can make it, please do.

BigTom, cupid_stunt and ruffneck23 like this.
  7. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

I think I may be able to get there as not working tomorrow

cupid_stunt and kabbes like this.
  8. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

I am not local, nor can I make it, but keeping fingers crossed.

There's some background info on the DRILL OR DROP site:

Leith Hill oil drilling could trap people in homes and put lives at risk – opponents warn

[​IMG]

hash tag and Pickman's model like this.
  9. kabbes

10. cupid_stunt

Yep, and probably worth keeping an eye on 'Frack Free Surrey', and the DRILL OR DROP site, which is great for news from across the country & updated daily.

Interesting figures here about the potential number of wells across the Weald, mainly in Sussex, but also across the borders into Hampshire, Kent, Surrey & including the South Downs National Park - anywhere between 1,200 & a very unlikely 34,000.

Where could fracking in the Weald be leading if not stopped?

11. cupid_stunt

Decision just deferred for now:

Further delay for Europa’s oil drilling plans near Surrey beauty spot

Miss-Shelf and kabbes like this.
  12. kabbes

Yes, it was in some ways a bit of a surprise win, but an eminently justified decision. A lot of work put in by LHAG before and on the day and some real grappling with the issues by certain councillors, who were not willing to just wave it through.

13. The big question is of course; Should I and the countless other urbanites be increasing or unloading our stock in Europa?

14. kabbes

This particular case is about 1% of the size of their interests in the Irish Sea, so not that relevant to them. But judged in the way they run their business, I'd say sell sell sell...

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  15. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I was chatting to an activist yesterday, she was recruiting & getting petition signups from a willing group of cyclists. Having done a fantastic ride around this beautiful part of England how could we not agree with the protest?

It all just seems nuts in an AONB ???? Bloody Forestry Commission leasing off the land :mad:

16. kabbes

Those who are interested in just how fucked up our local council planning process actually is could use this whole thing as a hell of a case study. The failures of Surrey County Council are long documented in newsletters passim, but the latest fail from Mole Valley District Council is a nice microcosm of the whole thing, frankly. It’s written about here:

Leith Hill Action Group Newsletter 54

Artaxerxes and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  17. kabbes

Still no approval from SCC of the traffic management plan, following today’s planning committee. They did approve the fencing amendment though, which is just BEGGING for judicial review, frankly.