1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woodland Under Threat -- Attention those who enjoy walking in the Surrey Hills

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by kabbes, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Well-Known Mamba

2. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I like the idea iirc Kabbes had towards the start of the thread of having residents on a rota driving up and down the road at 5mph all day every day.

sim667 likes this.
  3. Bahnhof Strasse

The roads are so narrow that a bod walking up and down would be hard for a truck to overtake!

BigTom likes this.
  4. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I think its illegal to do that, so they'd end up with tickets

5. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Highway code says:

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

so as long as the queue isn't long, I don't see that it'd be illegal. You could also argue there wasn't a safe spot to pull in and let an HGV pass, depending on the road. In any case, civil disobedience usually involves some kind of law breaking, so just refuse to pay the fines and let them take you to court, then demand a jury trial (if possible, probably not) and argue that although you were breaking the law, you were preventing a much bigger crime from taking place (worked for Smash EDO and Hawk to Ploughshares protesters, didn't work for Climate Camp ones).

6. sim667

Could just have a really slow cyclist of course.

BigTom likes this.
  7. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

or as Bahnhoff said, people walking.

sim667 likes this.
  8. sim667

Leith hill rambling association.... obv.

Established August 2015

BigTom and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  9. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

The Inspector doesn't seem to be able to see beyond the "short" timetable of 18 weeks. As if this decision is totally isolated from everything else that happens.

Man, right now I am just tired of this bullshit.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  10. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

Latest news is that we continue to keep the pressure up on conditions and permitting. The oil price collapse is really helping too -- between all the factors, it may well be just too expensive to be worth bothering with. As of yet, cash-strapped Europa haven't even applied for the EA permits, nor have they engaged with the council over all the conditions they need to satisfy. They originally stated an intention to drill next Winter; having apparently done nothing to date and having no cash in the bank to do it with, I'd say that's looking increasingly unlikely.
    The planning permission is only for 3 years too, so next winter is already half way through that.

More than one way to skin a cat and all that...

Greebo and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  12. Bahnhof Strasse

All good kabbes. The oil price collapse looks set to stay too, which is great for Leith Hill and good for us a Frau Bahn is now looking at a 4ltr replacement for our car... ;)

Pickman's model and Greebo like this.
  13. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

hash tag likes this.
  14. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

Don't get me started

15. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

no please!

I was corrected on social media, it is a 'protection camp'

one has sprung up in Brockham now as well as the company that was test drilling in Horse Hill has taken a drilling rig to a site in Brockham (a long established one I think)

loads of AIM investors on twitter going mad about it my twitter search for Brockham uncovered.

will ask in the shop next time i am over there what the feeling is about a load of 'protectors' turning up

16. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

I think people think their hearts are in the right place. There is definitely a concern, however, that a lot of our worry for the drill site related to wildlife that will now long since have been scared off by the "protectors" anyway. What badgers and bats are going to hang around in a camp occupied by 50 people?

Dan U likes this.
  17. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

It will be scared off anyway Tbf once the whole thing starts up. Hopefully it comes back.

At least you get to see a bit of direct action outsourcing going on

18. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

I have only just found this; dreadful. Right by the Plough as well, great walking country.
    All is not yet lost but I wouldn't bet on it. Though looking at Mole Valleys site it looks like it's all been approved?
    from Dan U's link "The planning application now needs to be discussed and approved by Surrey County Council.

This was expected to take place in the council’s December planning meeting but has now been delayed until at least January."

19. mauvais

mauvais ★★☆☆☆    "humourless cunt" - Sunday Express

If it's an AIM company there's a fair chance it's an enormous, doomed pyramid scheme in the first place. That's the upside of all these fracking schemes - a lot will just fleece their investors and otherwise amount to nothing.

20. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

Www.lhag.org.uk

Read the latest newsletter/the last few newsletters. You'll have a much better understanding.

hash tag likes this.
  21. Bahnhof Strasse

BBC London News at 22:30 tonight...

hash tag likes this.
  22. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

Good to see that is has made televised news, not that that will make much difference.

23. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

It's the usual story. What makes a difference is putting in the hard yards to use the system back against those trying to exploit it. It's unspectacular, slow going, complicated and makes for bad TV. But that's fine. They still aren't drilling, 8 years on.

24. Bahnhof Strasse

Saw your interview, looking good with your guitar kabbes...

KABBES2.JPG

Dan U and kabbes like this.
  25. mauvais

mauvais ★★☆☆☆    "humourless cunt" - Sunday Express

I had a quick search and it looks like this is another David Lenigas project. I wouldn't like to say anything about him specifically, but I'm just going to make this point again:

Dan U and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  26. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

That's one advantage of just keeping on making it as difficult as possible. We know that Europa are basically insolvent at this point, and have been losing money for years. There is a real question mark regarding how long they can keep up the charade.

The flip side of it, though, is that it also just makes it ten times more important that all conditions are evidenced in full regarding how they are being met. If you have an untrustworthy counterparty, you need to tie everything down absolutely tight.

27. Bahnhof Strasse

They said on that piece that there are possibly 30m barrels of oil under Leith Hill. If that is even in the vague area, at what point does it become unviable to continue?

28. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

When you kick the bastards in the bollocks hard enough.

coley and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  29. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

I possibly could with the lottery. The chance of 30m barrels exists at the far, far end if the spectrum, by their own numbers.

70% chance of finding nothing.
    If they DO find something, most likely scenario is less than a few million barrels. Mean expectation in the event of finding something is about 5 million.

"Possibly" is a stupid PR word for "Almost but not quite impossibly"

mauvais, Nigel and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  30. Bahnhof Strasse

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39117535

Positive film. Ends though with details of the court order that makes it an offence for anyone to enter the site if they intend to assist those on site...