1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woodland Under Threat -- Attention those who enjoy walking in the Surrey Hills

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by kabbes, Jun 29, 2010.

1. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

Classic Middle England. Quietly accepting of much, then fearsome when roused.

Greebo and existentialist like this.
  2. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

for real? I do often wonder how much nicer the view from Reigate/Colley Hill wuld be if they'd at least put a lid on that stretch of the M25 and got rid of the noise.

3. existentialist

existentialist Not in a Disney film song

I was only a kid at the time, but there was a lot of damage to plant, and so on.

Presumably because that's a rather well-off bit of the countryside, the motorway was run in cutting through a lot of it, I imagine so as to cause less intrusion to rich local residents...

4. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

If anybody feels like they want to support the campaign -- LHAG has been nominated for the Surrey Mirror Heart of the Community awards, in the environmental category. This is blatant promotional material from the newspaper, with an attempt to bump their circulation, but there is potentially a £2500 award in it for us so I'm spreading the message anyway. If you are so inspired, send a text (50p plus network rate) that says

SU HEART 1046 followed by your name, house name or number and post code to 65100.

You can vote as often as you want. The highest number of votes in each category gets the winner £2500, and second and third get £1500 and £1000 respectively.

Greebo likes this.
  5. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

i see from the local paper you've been in court again kabbes (unsure if you personally but you know what i mean)

good luck :)

Greebo likes this.
  6. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

Cheers Dan. It's really hard to tell what the result will be. Expect the worst and hope for the best is my usual motto!

Latest newsletter, with details about the court case, for those interested.

Ponyutd, Dan U and Greebo like this.
  7. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Well-Known Mamba

Secretary of State had batted it back to the council for the appeal to be 're-determined'. Hopefully as fuck all has changed the same conclusion will be reached as before and that will be the end of this shite. The appeal will be re-determined after an inquiry starting 22nd April 2015...

8. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

I'd love to get one week's delay on that too, because then we'd be in the election period, which would delay it for another few months.

Engage shenanigans...

Quartz likes this.
  9. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Are you having local council elections in 2015?

10. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

I think so.

In other news, latest newsletter. Important information about writing to the Inspectorate to object to the application.

Greebo likes this.
  11. Quartz

Good luck!

kabbes likes this.
  12. Quartz

I read your newsletter last night and the thing that stuck out to me was the comment on the weak financial status of Europa. Europa is, of course, a company and thus a shell entity anyway, so a possible line of attack might be to say, "Look, it's going to take £X million to restore things; Europa doesn't have the ability to put that amount in escrow / bond / whatever." The council will have to cater for Europa making a mess and going bust or being taken over.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  13. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

Yes, we are pushing hard to get the council to require a bond as part of the planning conditions should this thing go ahead.

Quartz and coley like this.
  14. chainsawjob

chainsawjob Cautiously impulsive

Just spent a weekend walking in Leith Hill area, I saw this thread some time back, but had forgotten about it. Letter sent.

kabbes likes this.
  15. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Im not that up to scratch on where leith hill is in relation, but discussing the HGV's would it be worth mentioning it as a danger to motorocyclists who flock to box hill and the surrounding areas at weekends.

Ill draft up a letter to send in though, I'm getting pissed off with the floodgates being opened for fucking heinous companies being allowed to take a shit on the countryside.

kabbes likes this.
  16. sim667

Who do I send it to? Surrey county council, mole valley?

17. chainsawjob

chainsawjob Cautiously impulsive

Details of who to email are in the newsletter here (it's the Planning Inspectorate in Bristol), plus suggested points to object on, and there's info such as planning app no. etc here.

Hi Sim, :waves: :)

kabbes and sim667 like this.
  18. sim667

:D

Im just in redhill, our country side has been getting a tough old time of it lately, fracking in balcombe, this in leith hill, biffa acting like arseholes in merstham..... :mad:

kabbes likes this.
  19. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Oil drilling in Horse Hill Horley, protest camp has been evicted from what I can tell.

sim667 and kabbes like this.
  20. sim667

I didn't know about that.....

I wonder if there's a correlation between the amount of tory councillors we've got and how much environmental shit is going on.

kabbes likes this.
  21. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

Don't forget Gatwick flight paths and the ever looming threat of a second runway.

The whole thing is under siege right now. We have to fight every incremental piece of shit with everything we have.

Bahnhof Strasse and Dan U like this.
  22. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

Motorcyclists are less at threat (not a big motorcycle route -- they prefer the A25 through Westcott and Abinger) but cyclists are definitely in for a fucking over at the wheels of the HGVs. This is the Coldharbour Lane used in the Tour of Britain amongst other things and every cyclist wants to tackle it right now.

23. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

It's quite a serious structure, very well guarded.

sim667 likes this.
  24. Bahnhof Strasse

Not just the Gatwick flight paths, Heathrow has been fucking around with theirs which has led to an increase in flights over the western part of the hills.

25. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

We get Heathrow and Gatwick here. One was fine but the tweaked Heathrow and the revised Gatwick was pretty shit over summer.

For context I live 20 odd miles from Heathrow and I could make out the livery on A380s as they climb slowly over the hills to the north of me.

26. sim667

Both airports were talking about expansion weren't they too?

I think the heathrow one is going ahead, but not the gatwick one iirc.

27. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

no, it's all to play for. Both lobbying hard for an extra runway and throwing money around

28. kabbes

kabbes kabbes?

Dan U likes this.
  29. Bahnhof Strasse

Went for a walk and lunch up your way over Christmas, up Wolverns Lane and around the wood from off there. Is it me or are there far more frequent and lower planes going over? I know it's up in the clouds, but they seem really low.

30. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

it's not you

http://www.planewrong.co.uk/