1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woodland Under Threat -- Attention those who enjoy walking in the Surrey Hills

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by kabbes, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

is it true what the local rag is saying on twitter? appealed? :(

2. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Yes, we're working on communicating the message. It has been appealed and will go to Judicial Review.

Judicial Review is a case of Europa disputing some facts of law, not disputing the planning decision itself. Specifically, there are four grounds for their appeal, which centre on the wording of the planning policy and its interpretation in the wording of the Inspector's decision.

All this means that it's fundamentally a case of the oil company versus the government itself. It's the Secretary of State that has been appealed against (with SCC as a co-defendant, which is very unusual and a bit odd). So it's the Secretary of State that pays for the best lawyers it can to defend its Inspector.

It's really annoying to have to go through another stage, and we had a meeting last night about it that was a bit heavy-hearted. But I'd say Europa had their best chance at the initial planning meeting, a good chance at the Public Inquiry and now this is a long shot for them at best. But who knows? It's down to a judge now (or panel of judges, I'm not clear which) and their decision on the day, based purely on law.

If Europa win, heaven forbid, it may go all the way back to Public Inquiry again. That fills me with a sense of dread.

3. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

fucks sake. well fingers crossed the JR goes your way - or technically SofS/SCC's way - but you know what i mean.

cesare likes this.
  4. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

if you do twitter Kabbes, just got RT'ed by the local rag on this.

5. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

I suppose this means another update letter, I guess. They're quite efficient at those it seems.

6. kabbes

On the committee is a PR professional and she rules over the comms with a rod of bloody iron. Won't let me tweet anything on the LHAG account without her signing it in triplicate, which basically means that tweets don't happen. Shame, otherwise I'd be tweeting every 5 minutes with what I think of the whole bloody lot of them.

7. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

What is the LHAG account name? Other people could tweet @LHAG with whatever they want...

8. kabbes

Good question.

I just had a look at our website and it isn't on there either.

I will have to check when I get home.

9. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

She may be a PR professional but it doesn't sound like she's got much of a handle on twitter if she doesn't tweet at all.

10. kabbes

She's great at dealing with the telly and newspapers, to be fair

11. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Would it be overly cynical of me to suspect that this isn't really about oil, but building a housing estate on the site when they've failed to find it?

Greebo likes this.
  12. kabbes

Yes, that would be completely impossible. Such a building application in that spot would be unambiguously and utterly denied.

Greebo likes this.
  13. kabbes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-23457934

ffs

14. kabbes

Indeed, I was going to update the thread myself at some point.

We got utterly fucked by the government issuing guidance four days before the hearing that pulled out a major plank of the defence. The timing really could not have been worse.

15. You ever been nicked before kabbes? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-23462586

Hint for when you chain yourself to Leith Hill; take a book with you to read in the cells ;)

16. kabbes

I'm thinking much easier, actually. They claim that they can get the necessary 100s (or 1000s) of lorry movements up and down narrow, twisty Coldharbour Lane without problems. I'm not sure how they'll manage it if half a dozen people start driving up and down it and refusing to give way to the lorries.

Greebo, coley, pogofish and 1 other person like this.
  17. kabbes

Those interested may like to know that Newsletter 20 has just been released. In short, the action group have taken up their right to appeal against the quashing of the high court decision.

Dan U and coley like this.
  18. All jolly civilised :)

19. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Blimey. Hope you finally win kabbes although the dice appear increasingly loaded against you.

Greebo likes this.
  20. kabbes

Cheers :)

21. kabbes

22. Miss Caphat

Miss Caphat I want it that way

best of luck, kabbes!

kabbes likes this.
  23. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've just seen this? Is it coldharbour as in near dorking?

I live near there and if it is I know few people in dorking who are probably totally unaware of all this.

24. kabbes

Yes, Coldharbour near Dorking.

Please do spread the word. LHAG does their best to spread the message, but there are limits to what a small group can achieve.

The website is www.lhag.org.uk (or www.lhag.eu if you find that easier to remember). Get them to sign up to the newsletter!

Greebo and sim667 like this.
  25. Smyz

Smyz FNG

Anything suspicious about the timing? How much have the company donated to the Tories?

26. kabbes

Oh, it's beyond suspicious. Everybody who knows anything about it is certain that the timing was intentional to screw us. Even the judge raised his eyebrows about it.

It's not a payoff, either. It's the government themselves worried about precendent for how concepts in the planning franework are being interpreted, inthe light of their desire to push fracking in the future. So they've rushed out this guidance, which is full of holes and contradictory with their own planning framework. It's an absolute mess.

27. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

don't worry though, they want to limit access to judicial reviews to stop people examining this kind of thing.

which makes everything ok.

28. kabbes

It's amazing, it really is.

Fortunately, we managed to get the judge to decide that the guidance was issued too late to be applicable to our case. Unfortunately, this didn't stop the Secretary of State junking 75% of their defence in advance of the hearing in the light of its issuance. That really screwed us. And then the judge made, in our opinion, some bad mistakes that resulted in a decision that ended up close to the guidance. Even though the judge had explicitly rejected the guidance, I'll always be convinced that it influenced him anyway, even if only subconsciously. Such is human nature -- that's why juries are not allowed to read about a case in advance of the case.

Dan U likes this.
  29. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Something something framing something anchoring something.

30. existentialist

existentialist Deck your smalls with boughs of holly

Back in the day, when they were building the M25, and it were all fields, some of the most destructive direct action against its construction took place in the Surrey section.

Just saying...