1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Green chitter-chatter..

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Hollis, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Ron Merlin

Ron Merlin All about the anatomical snuff box.

You're probably right about the pavement development, Hollis - I feel a frisson just thinking about it. Although we are geting new lamp posts up our way.

Let us know what the foyer's like, won't you?

2. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

The foyer was abit of a let down - I was hoping they'd have a plaque to the WWII dead in their. But if they have its not in the entrance foyer. As it is there's just this beast opposite.. But I think it only has names of the WWI dead.

[​IMG]

There was some old biddy in there and a security guard, but neither seemed that interested in me.

3. Ron Merlin

The bridge reinforcement has taken a dramatic turn! We now have bright green cycle lanes painted on either side of the road. Can't wait for the rest of the road markings, then my life will truly be complete.

4. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

I plan to walk down there this weekend and have a look

5. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

Interesting new layout in Argos - all the TVs are on the left hand side now.

6. Ron Merlin

Commiserations :(

The road markings on the bridge are now complete.

There's still a fucking great load of mud left on my road after the new sewage pipe was laid. The shopkeepers are none too pleased.

And the new lamp posts are taking ages to put in. The pavement now has lots of flooded holes.

7. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

e2a:re, previous report of pushy young bloke in Spar near Wood Green tube trying to skim me
    right. tried to charge me double what I Was buying, when I pointed this out, claimed I had underpaid previously

8. Streathamite

where IS said bridge, btw? forgive me, am but newly-returned to the manor

9. Ron Merlin

Go uphill up Station Road from Wood Green, this becomes Buckingham Road, go past Ally Pally station (on the left) and the road bears left over the railway. This is the bridge as it used to be:

image001.jpg

10. Streathamite

aah...given I work off Mayes Rd, nearer to me than I thought :cool:

11. Ron Merlin

Bollard and road-narrows sign knocked over on Bedford Road (by AP station footbridge) this morning. Paving stones at weird angles as a result.

12. Streathamite

and WHEN will they finish whatever it is they're doing to the pavements around the station? it's getting quite ridiculous

13. Streathamite

great anti-cuts demo outside the Civic Centre last night, about 200 there :cool::cool:

14. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

Was in the Green Sunday and it was a sea of plastic barriers in that area still. It was confusing and so complicated I decided not to cross the road

15. Streathamite

I know where you're coming from, entirely

16. Streathamite

bump....the Wood Green Sandwich bar report for Wood Green workers.
    Sarnie bar oposite post office. Limited range, but great if you like coriander chicken and salad boxes based on same.
    Jenny's in market by wood green shopping city; wannabe wimpy's good for burgers only.
    sarnie bar at back of same market. Terrif for smoked salmon/tuna sarnies, decent cuppa.
    Subway; fine, if you like subway's.
    Gregg's. slow as fuck in serving people.
    Bagel joint by library; good range, sublime cream cheese bagel, generally good.
    sarnie bar 4 down past library on way to shopping city; not cheap, but stuff is generally excellent

17. slainte

slainte Im am gone

hmm its been such a while since I have been into the boards and to see hollis is still posting and living in wood green. I have moved back technically wood green but right near bounds green tube really and Im loving it lot of shops changed to polish ones but I fit right in being a scummy Irishman and all that among all the supposed scum and riff raff I fit right in ...:) Seems that a lot of wood green people post here so any chance of a catchup with anyone in wood green pint wise

18. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I have drunk in the Irish pub in Wood Green a few times, a couple of cousins are regulars - Monaghan's Tavern, just up the hill from the station.

19. Streathamite

am seriously considering this

20. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

When I was there last Sunday the partitions were still up round the station causing mass confusion. Got myself some nice toffee from Thorntons tho :)

21. Streathamite

breaking news; "Breakbar", just by Primark, is a nifty little caff/sarnie bar

22. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

Was down the Green today. Grim grim grim.

23. Maggot

Maggot .

Wood Green Christmas shop window.

[​IMG]

(thanks to PinkMonkey)

24. Ron Merlin

Lovely bit of half-arsed window dressing there ^ :D

25. Ron Merlin

Some nice graffiti drawn in the snow on cars near AP station recently: "Snow", "Love" and "Ben is a cunt".

26. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

Was down the Green yesterday. Bollards removed though the pavement etc all looks the same.

Usual rabble of push chairs and unemployed folk speaking in tongues.

27. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

Anti Public Services cuts demo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Ron Merlin

Haha! I know who that ^ is dressed as Lynn Featherstone/Death! :cool:

On an arguably less exciting note, Palace Gates Road will soon be graced by two posh new traffic-calming humps.

Brains SA and Sharp's Doom Bar now available in The Gate.

29. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

Was down the Green today. Mut say the new crossing in very good, allowing the pelican from the station to Morrisons

30. Ron Merlin

Good, innit? Albeit a little unnerving the first time you use it.