1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Green chitter-chatter..

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Hollis, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

Just seen a dead fox on the pavement. Saw it last week running up and down the road. Now the bugger's dead.

:(

2. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

I cheer myself up by watching Teardrop Explodes videos on youtube. :) :)

3. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

I was down in 'the Green yesterday at TK Maxx. Desperate scenes :(

4. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

TK Maxx is gonna be a hell hole whereever its located.. You can't blame Wood Green for the specifics of that store.

Had a roast in the Wetherspoons today.. It was shite.

5. keithy

keithy or queefy

oooo, you narrowly missed being served by me :p

6. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

okay - no offence re the Wetherspoons roasts. I just figure one every 6 months to a year is the best policy to enjoy all round.

7. keithy

keithy or queefy

Well let's just put it this way - I have had less than one per 6 months in total from my pub and I wasn't very impressed :)

I'm not kitchen :D

8. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

A man of middle eastern mien hailed me from a battered white van while I was walking the dog an hour or so ago, and asked for directions to the Northern Silk Road. I denied all knowledge of it, which provoked him into a quiet fury. He insisted that it was a famous road and very close by. Six years I had been living in Southgate, I demurred, without coming across a Northern Silk Road. Was he sure? He rolled his eyes at my ignorance and spelled it out, letter by letter. It was near Arnos Grove, he explained. Very big. Very famous. Northern. Silk. Road. Then he drove away, shaking his head.

And just as I find it, a prehistoric trading route, on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Silk_Road - I realise that he meant the North Circular.

9. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

Aye, there's a strange intense quality of light over Wood Green this evening. Feeling very in touch with the universal.

10. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

[​IMG]

Just a quick update on the shopping city montage.. the logo was part of the rebranding exercise, probably 3-4 years ago now.

11. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Hackney could learn a lot from your neighbourhood and your containment of the fox problem. We shall be sending observers to the area in the next few days. Could you draw a chalk circle round the body in case it gets removed. Ta.

12. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

Interestingly foxes are in the news on the local Tottenham and Wood Green Advertiser. Front Page Stuff. A persian cat has been killed and mutilated - by a fox.

:(.

13. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

a hackney kitten was killed by a fox, I saw the cunning fox, eating a headless kitten in next door's garden

these are dark times

14. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

I saw a squashed squirrel on the way into work this morning. It was splattered in such a way that you could see its little hands and feet spread out in a running motion over a three metre stretch of road. Admittedly, this should be in Hackney chitter chatter but I thought I'd share. :)

15. marty21

I once killed a squirrel, it ran under the car :(

again this was in hackney

((((hackney squirrels))))

16. Ron Merlin

Ron Merlin Translating voiceover scripts. Yes, really.

Stop press: The Gate pub now sells Sharp's Doom Bar. Rejoice, etc.

17. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

How is that Gate these days..? Dont' get down there so often.. all looks abit young and trendy?

18. Ron Merlin

I don't know - the gf went in! I've never been keen on the place - bit soullless with indifferent service IME - but if it sells Doom Bar, I might make the effort and drag my lazy carcass over the bridge. A review on Beer In The Evening reckons it's picked up a bit lately.

19. marty21

doom bar is a lovely ale :)

20. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

Was in the Ranleigh last night - just up from Bounds Green tube. A couple of decent ales, top-rate beer garden.

21. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

am working in wood green now. god are they clueless eejits in morrisons

22. rich!

rich! stalin tache

the book shop in Wood Green is starting a loyalty card scheme on Saturday. Double points for the first 50.

:cool:

23. Ron Merlin

Nice pub, good beer. Must drop in again - not been for aaaaages. Not sure about their quiz, though - their knowledge of Russian is woeful! Vodka does not mean water, it means vodka, FFS! :mad:

Although GF shouldn't really have phoned me from the pub to get the answer...

24. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

What's your specific complaint? It's not the fish counter is it?

25. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

clueless idiots who didn't know where anything is so say 'we've run out'. lo and behold, I find said salmon paste 2 mins later

26. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

To be fair to the Morrison's staff they're ususally pretty hot at finding stuff. I do have big issues with the fish counter though.

27. keithy

keithy or queefy

What are your issues with the fish counter Hollis?

28. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

I went to Morrisons cos I was told they had cheap Coley, they said they had none I'm thinking they did now and just fobbed me off. Motherf**kers!

29. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

I went through a phase 3 years ago when I was on a low GI diet. So I was eating lots of kippers for breakfast. Complete bugger to get served at the fish counter. The staff seemed to wonder around doing their best to ignore you. Not sure if it was their special fish counter uniforms.

30. keithy

keithy or queefy

Good thing about morrissons is that a lot of their packaged fish is actually fresh off the fish counter, and they do tend to have better and fresher fishies than most supermarkets/places round wood green. I've never even bothered to get served at the fish counter, I just choose the nicest stuff that they've packaged and shoved in the fridge.