1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wonderful female DJs

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

bit of an irrelevant observation though.

2. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yeah. Clubs now seem to be set up like rock venues - DJ raised up front and centre, everyone looking forward and crushed in towards the front. Don't get it tbh - DJ on the ground is better IMO.

3. mod

mod A modernist

OK mate. Have a good day.

sealion likes this.
  4. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

It's not that it's irrelevant really - it's actually bad form. It's actively damaging. You've been on urban for more than a decade so I doubt it needs explaining why.

For one thing, it allows pricks like B&P to dismiss them because they have vaginas...

5. mod

mod A modernist

What nonsense.

6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

HARDCORE

nogojones likes this.
  7. Orang Utan

it's really not nonsense. Do some reading

8. killer b

Not sure what you do Mod, but I guess - like Kraviz - your reputation is built, not on the peachiness of your complexion or the pertness of your arse, but on the hard work you've put in to gain the skills and experience to do your job well.

Do you think you'd feel more or less valued if the first thing people said when talking about you, professionally, is how handsome you are and how much they fancy you?

(please disregard this is you're actually a model.)

9. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

starting with reading back over this very thread:

10. mod

mod A modernist

You are excusing me of being sexist for referring to a female DJ as 'lovely'. I will sometimes comment on David Bowie's beauty when watching old videos of him. Is that sexist too? Whats the harm in paying someone a compliment on their appearance in a forum such as this? I think she's a fantastic DJ and a beautiful woman. So what? If I'd had been so crass to say 'what a lovely arse she's has' or something equally as derogatory you may have a point.

11. killer b

What's the difference, other than a degree of crassness? Both reduce a talented DJ & producer to a sexual object.

And is David Bowie's beauty the first thing you would remark on when recommending him in a thread where people were asking for suggestions of 1970s glam rock singers? Doubt it. And even if it were, men don't have a long history of repression and dismissal based on their beauty (or otherwise) so it's not really the same thing.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I always prefer DJing at the same level as the crowd - or if I'm on some kind of stage, it's one which people can dance on.

sealion likes this.
  13. mod

mod A modernist

Gay and bisexual men have a comparable history of repression.

OK, I see nina kraviz as a 'wonderful female DJ' primarily whom I happen to find attractive. Guilty. I actually know one of the other female DJ's a listed personally and also find her attractive but didn't mention that so maybe I shouldn't have with Nina. I take your point.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Some bloke FILMED me last week. What a fucking dull video that's going to make. Weird.

Anyway, I played with three female DJs at the Green Gathering this week and they were all ace. One has connections with urban - she's Jeanie Tee from Bashy Beats.

ddraig likes this.
  15. mod

mod A modernist

I bet you look lovely in that film though.

kalidarkone likes this.
  16. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I turned up for a gig a few weeks ago and they informed me I was being filmed and streamed on FB. Felt a bit weird/uncomfortable tbh :hmm:

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I looked like an uncomfortable twat wishing he'd fuck off out of my face.

18. Orang Utan

Let us know when your next gig is!

Fez909 likes this.
  19. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

And Liza N'eliaz (RIP)

dialectician and rutabowa like this.
  20. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

21. dialectician

dialectician Well-Known Member

Incredibly underrated producers, like musique concrete with a beat.
    :thumbs:

rutabowa likes this.
  22. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430

You must have a pretty restricted view of what DJing is then - oddly suggestive of a positional purism on your part?

;)

23. Beats & Pieces

To learn?

24. Orang Utan

You should be dancing...

nogojones and sealion like this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The clip is proof that there is rarely anything more fucking dull than watching a DJ press a few buttons and shift a few sliders about while staring at a computer screen. Almost everyone behind her is busy on their phones too which underlines just how visually unappealing the whole exercise is.

mod and sealion like this.
  26. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

You won't learn much unless you are stood next to him/her on the stage.

27. Beats & Pieces

If I disagree with you I have no doubt you'll ban me. People on their 'phones may well reflect on what she is actually playing - or just trying to appear to be *super cool*.

28. mod

mod A modernist

The day that started to become the norm (about 10 years ago) was when I lost interest. Watching a talented DJ on a pair of 1210s is something to behold. They are basically playing an instrument as far as i'm concerned. Add another 1210 and a drum machine and wow. Over to you Mr Mills....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    editor likes this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Don't be a prick. Again.

30. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

ignore beats & pieces. Listen to Sister Nancy instead.