1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women's March on Washington

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Idris2002, Nov 25, 2016.

1. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Solidarity with our sisters in the USA, celebration and recognition of the freedom and priviledge that I have now, those were some of my personal reasons. I marched with a group of women, we had a banner, we actually met women who didn't know our community group existed. We now have several more new members, which we hadn't expected to happen. So I made some new friends. This is why I love gatherings like this.

2. pinkmonkey

I actually had men mansplaining to me what my politics were/ why I was marching and then telling me I was wrong. Telling me I was wrong for being a Hillary supporter, that I protested against Brexit, telling me I am a neo liberal, none of which is true. Then they all keep bringing up Rotherham and abuse of Saudi women. Where are they getting this script from? As they all are spouting the same thing. But yeah, thanks for telling me this stuff, I had no idea. :facepalm:

3. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Successfully Refuted & Thick

All those people have the power to stop right wing populism if they're willing to put some work into it. That's the frustrating thing about it for me.

pinkmonkey and Pickman's model like this.
  4. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

So mansplaining is disagreeing with your politics? Huh?

5. pinkmonkey

:facepalm: mansplaining is explaining to me in a *really* patronising way, what my politics are and why I'm marching *and* getting it totally wrong, don't tell me I have to listen to this bullshit on here too?

6. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

7. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Did you actually read that post?

bluescreen and Rutita1 like this.
  8. pinkmonkey

Let me mansplain for you:
    I was told I was an idiot for being a Hillary supporter - I'm not.
    I was told I'm a neoliberal -I'm not.
    I was told I as a bitter loser and I even marched for Brexit and I was sad I hadn't won. Nope.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Magnus McGinty likes this.
  9. Magnus McGinty

Which idiot made those accusations?

10. LynnDoyleCooper

11. Magnus McGinty

It sounds like a right winger.

12. Magnus McGinty

She doesn't support Hilary. Which she has stated.

13. LynnDoyleCooper

Ah, OK, that must have been my mis-reading, it read like they were to me, hence the confusion. Edited to not try and derail it even more!

This was the sentence, can see how it reads both ways to me now, "Telling me I was wrong for being a Hillary supporter, that I protested against Brexit, telling me I am a neo liberal, none of which is true."

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    pinkmonkey and Magnus McGinty like this.
  14. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

Twats in the CPGB-ML.

15. Magnus McGinty

They're twats about everything though.

16. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Song and Sable

any stick at all to beat these fuckers with - i am easy on the concept behind it

17. Magnus McGinty

I was easy on the concept of the anti war marches whilst recognising that I was wasting my time and all of those people (a million?) could actually have an impact politically.

18. Magnus McGinty

Could UKIP mobilise 80k people in central London?

No.

So what are they doing right that those 80k people are doing wrong?

19. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat vote proletaricat democracy

from tweeter

[​IMG]

Celyn likes this.
  20. not-bono-ever

Its a good point, but does it not come down the the peculiarly brit theme we see in them stealth tories? is is harder to get support for something than against something?

21. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

As always, Angela has all bases covered...

crossthebreeze and Sirena like this.
  22. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Communist Party of Great Britain (Marxist-Leninist)

:D

23. Puddy_Tat

hmm.jpg

24. not-bono-ever

that is utterly barking.

25. Puddy_Tat

i'd say it was closer to dagenham east

26. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Why do you think ukip couldn't? Have they tried? It's not parties that get people out anyway, it's issues.

27. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

This was about a basic feminist issue that isn't attached to a particular party though. Lots of people are disgusted that a man who publicly admitted to sexual assault and harrassment, and has been accussed of rape, has been elected to such a powerful position, don't want abortion banned and women punished, and are against the racist statements that trump has made.
    Thats not going to map to votes or support for anything more specific.

28. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

I would also say that the biggest barrier to people who have come out on a march for the first time getting more deeply involved in anything political is the Labour Party. Any march which (rightly) involves the unions in its organisation will, because most unions are Labour-affiliated, end up with speakers and organisers from the Labour Party. And the Labour Party will deliberately do what they can to set the marches demands and accepted behaviour and terms of debate [from my particular local experience given half a chance they go further than this and will do what they can to shut down any dissent including undermining and sabotaging other attempts at organising (using labour-facing leftist groupsicles as enforcers if necessary) and even getting antifascists arrested].

Trouble is, this doesn't even translate into lots of people joining and being active in the Labour Party because
    a) the Labour Party is still completely tainted by the Blair years - and this is even evident at marches and rallies like this - ie as treelover pointed out on another thread [though he dismissed the whole march because of it] Yvette Cooper who when in government concretely made disabled people's and single parents lives more difficult, spoke at the London Womens March.
    b) because of the Tory's massive funding cuts to council, Labour councils are currently implementing horrendous public service cuts.
    c) different parts of the party - including locally - are at war with each other
    d) Labour Party structures stifle activity

And none of this will change until unions disaffiliate from Labour, or all the measures that reduced union power in the Labour Party are abolished (which won't happen), or an active base for mass organising coalesces outside the labour-affiliated unions (the next wave of interesting stuff seems to be coming from non-tuc unions and worker organising in areas the major unions don't reach (migrant workers, workers in the gig economy, agency workers etc)).

29. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

30. krtek a houby

krtek a houby it can't happen here Enforced Holiday Banned