Woking vs Dulwich Hamlet, 3pm, 15th Sept 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Lucy Fur, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Trimmy

Trimmy Member

"Admittedly they brought it on themselves by smuggling a smoke bomb into East Thurrock" The scamps!

Can I just say that I am loving this thread, even with the ebbing and flowing levels of tetchiness. Does it go to a public vote to decide who has won, or does this carry on till the reverse fixture in April 2019 so we can defend (or graciously accept) our "home" ground against reverse criticism?

cg__ likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're missing the point is some style. Woking offer a grim, veggie food-free, tetchy stewards-laden, segregated, bag-searching 'pro' league experience when they are... a non league club.

3. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

And when* Dulwich Hamlet get to Wembley...

To be fair people probably wouldn’t go home they’d just spend the whole game and the next 6 weeks bitching about it rather than discussing the fucking brilliant result.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But a trip to Wembley wouldn't be a non-league game, would it? :facepalm:

But the point is that many non-league games attracting bigger crowds than Woking don't feel the need to employ surly bag-searching stewards en masse and then force the fans to be segregated. Dulwich have enjoyed many crowds considerably larger than the one at Woking without the need to segregate visiting fans and then leave them with nowhere to drink and a shitty food selection.

But what makes the segregation at Woking particularly daft was that it was for the visit of Dulwich, a club with zero reputation for violence - nless we were being segregated for our own safety of course, which would shine a pretty grim light on your own support.

Ronco and Pink Panther like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Mind you, Wembley is a fucking awful place to visit.

Pink Panther, Cat Daisy and gnar182 like this.
  6. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

I’m 100% with you on that one!!

editor likes this.
  7. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I love visiting, it’s the getting home’s the problem.

GregDHFC likes this.
  8. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I'd say a visit for us to Wembley, if we ever got there, WOULD ALMOST CERTAINLY be a non-league game, as our best chance would be in the FA Trophy.

And much as I think the place is over-priced, I don't mind the 'new' Wembley, from a purely watching the game point of view. A huge improvement on the old Wembley, for sure.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So a cup game, then. D

I really don't like Wembley. Truly awful place to visit and a pretty awful place for atmosphere too.

10. Cardinal

Cardinal New Member

The National League playoff final is held at Wembley, as are the FA Trophy and FA Vase finals. If you want to call them non-league cup matches then go ahead, but it doesn't change the fact that the game will be between two non-league teams in a competition which is only open to non-league teams. I'm not sure how else you would define a non-league game.

As things stand, we have the 14th highest average attendance across the whole of non-league football. Most of the 13 clubs above us segregate every single game. Even the likes of Salford and FCUM have had to alter their segregation policy since they've regularly come up against clubs with large numbers of away fans in NLN/NL. We do not plan to segregate on a regular basis, we only do it when large numbers of visiting fans are expected to turn up. For example, the Billericay match the week before we played you: that had a higher attendance but it was unsegregated because not many Ricay fans turned up. And yes, we do occasionally have to segregate because a few of our fans cannot be trusted to behave. This is something I've already acknowledged numerous times on the thread so I don't understand why it's taking you so long to grasp the point. The fact that the game was segregated is not a reflection on DHFC as a club, nor its fans, it's a problem of our fans misbehaving.

I'm not missing the point at all. I know we're a non-league club, but we're a non-league club which has had to get used to dealing with levels of away support normally found in League 1. In the past decade we've had Luton, Bristol Rovers, Oxford, Aldershot, and more, who've brought over 1500 fans to Kingfield for league games. That's what our segregation policy is designed to cope with. Do I agree that it's appropriate for 150 DHFC fans? No. But as I've already said, that's not my call to make.

Jamie Wyatt, blueheaven and EDC like this.
  11. goandroam

goandroam Active Member

What? As a Billericay fan who went to that game it was definitely segregated.

editor likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Apart from segregating away fans for their own safety, what steps has the club made to stop what sounds like a REALLY worrying problem for a non league club? How many fans have been given lifelong bans? I'd be ashamed if Hamlet had this problem. In fact, I'd probably stop going if nothing was being done to isolate and ban these morons.

But if, as you say, it's your own fans who are causing trouble and can't be trusted to treat visiting fans with respect, why the fuck did we have an army of scowling stewards in our faces all game?

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good point well made!

14. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

So Dulwich fans should never have to suffer the indignity of stewarding/policing, but we're wishing "lifelong bans" on fans of other clubs...?

15. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy New Member

Agreed. Didn't like the old one much but the "fake" (and excruciatingly loud) atmosphere that they try and manufacture at the new one really does piss me off!

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm all for lifelong bans for violent intimidating thugs, racists and other undesirables who ruin the game for other fans, create an unpleasant, second class experience for visiting fans and put people off attending. How about you?

And you don't need armies of sneering surly security guards to identify and exclude those people, either.

Pink Panther likes this.
  17. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I'm all for any football bans being judged individually on a case by case basis.