Woking vs Dulwich Hamlet, 3pm, 15th Sept 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Lucy Fur, Sep 14, 2018.

1. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Posh thugs :confused:

GregDHFC likes this.
  2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

“I dont want anything to change cos I like being rubbish at the bottom of the conference national. The least fun league in English football.”
    :mad:

editor likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The reason I missed the goal was because I was busy being subjected to two completely pointless full bag checks outside by your needlessly gruff and rude security staff. Why pointless? Because if you're going to check bags in the name of "my security" (their words) then do the job properly and check my pockets and jacket. I could have carried all manner of dodgy items in with me.

And despite the sneering comments on your boards, offering a veggie choice is hardly some fickle requirement of a fussy fey visitor: millions of people are veggie and to not offer them any food at all is disgraceful. Throw in the lack of bar and the surly bouncers and you've got a visitor experience that I'd be embarrassed about, and the way some of you have responded to criticism is way over the top.

Still, the good news for you is that if we're unlucky to face you again next season, I probably won't come. I'm not really interested in spending my money (£15 FFS) at clubs that treat me as a second class customer. Bye.

4. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

My problem regarding the yellow hatching was you couldn't even walk along it. Most clubs have a no standing area in front of stands, but you're always allowed to walk on it when going to the toilet or getting food/drink.
    These stewards were making everyone push through fans watching the game to get anywhere which is just stupid, especially if you're carrying hot drinks or struggle to walk on the uneven steps.

Cat Daisy and editor like this.
  5. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I think you'll just have to accept that there's going to be a culture clash when we travel to places like Woking. Hamlet supporters are accustomed to living in a sophisticated cosmopolitan metropolis, where visitors from all over the nation and the globe are welcomed. By contrast Woking is a gritty post-industrial town, full of humble salt of the earth working class chaps (hard as nails, but never without a cheery smile on their faces) who are happy to be put in their place, told where to sit or stand, and grateful for the chance to pay fifteen quid for the privilege. And they make a special effort with their catering - at some National League grounds it's tripe with vinegar, or nothing.

6. Charltonlaw

Charltonlaw New Member

Yes sneering superiority.... Anyway glad so many have discovered the wonders of lower league football in recent years... It's the best

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Much as I love the condescending tone, a lot of Hamlet fans have been fully acquainted with the wonders of lower league football for some time, and I'm happy to report that our forum isn't full of fans whining about a "morgue like atmosphere" at home games.

It would seem that you're not bothered about the way visiting fans are treated at Woking, which is a shame.

Ronco and B.I.G like this.
  8. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Its the best because you can watch football with less quality but with the ability to be told what to do, with no drinking, and opposition fans kept at a good distance, while stewards are acting surly.

I can’t wait to go to Woking FC.

pettyboy, Ronco, editor and 1 other person like this.
  9. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Not Pink Panther though. He is very new and needs to be lectured by some non-league Woking nobody.

10. Pink Panther

The first time I went to Woking the attendance was about 150, you were bottom of the table, and the side of the ground to which we were confined last week was an open field with duckboards for standing on. Were you supporting Woking then, or did you only "discover lower league football" along with the other 1,000 or so who suddenly began turning up in the 1990s?

Frankly I'm not all that bothered how Woking FC chooses to treat its paying customers,and I don't really care about the reasons why. I don't need to go there more than once a year, but by comparison with other clubs in same division it's just not very good.

I go to most Hamlet away games ,but I also like to have a few weekends a season away from home doing something different. Therefore I look at the fixture list and pick a couple of dates when we're visiting clubs I don't much like going to for whatever reason. In the past it's been Walton & Hersham, Corinthian Casuals or Metropolitan Police. This season it's Billericay. In future it'll probably be Woking.

How ironic that you're sneering at our supporters for discovering the club in large numbers in recent years when exactly the same thing happened at your own club a generation ago.

editor and StephenMac like this.
  11. Charltonlaw

Charltonlaw New Member

All getting a bit silly here really...i retain my views on the original blog. Some valid points raised but but i have already commented enough on its tone. Don't want to get into willy waving on how long I've been supporting my team but it was 20 years before the hockey pitches, green fields and bank disappeared..i did say i was looking forward to playing Dulwich again.. Well....

12. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

I liked your kit. Very Feyenoord.

13. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I feel bad for your friends and family. You say goodbye and then just linger around chatting shit. It must take you ages to get anywhere.

editor likes this.
  14. Charltonlaw

Charltonlaw New Member

just polite enough to answer questions ... And don't like to drop arguments .. As you might have guessed

15. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Its not an argument though. If you want your stadium to be a provincial hell hole. Go right ahead. How very hemel hempstead.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The kit is the best thing about Woking by miles. That said, there may be lovely parts of the ground and great facilities, but you don't get to see any of that when you're penned in by stroppy, surely, sour faced security guards.

17. YTC

YTC Human Man

Posh thugs is amazing. That is all.

Pink Panther and B.I.G like this.
  18. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

I wouldn't call him posh, although as librarian you accuse him of being middle class.

19. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

If only De Kuip had half the atmosphere of the Kingfield...

20. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Went to De Kuip in 2006, for a then top of the table clash with Vitesse Arnhem. Possibly one the best grounds I've ever been to...

pettyboy likes this.
  21. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Went in 2013 for a Europa League qualifier against Kuban Krasnodar. Cracking atmosphere. They open up the reserve ground next door before the game for a pre-match party, which was brilliant.

22. Cardinal

Cardinal New Member

A lot of our stewards are hired in, especially the ones who look after the away terrace when segregation is enforced. Surprisingly it's rather difficult to find volunteers to try to keep the peace when facing 1200 Aldershot fans so we've had to engage external companies to make up the numbers. I'm sure you're aware that hired stewards are not known for a cheery demeanour and sunny disposition and there's really not much we can do about it. I agree it doesn't reflect well on us as a club, but for the two or three occasions this season we'll need them, I think we can live with it.

My personal opinion is that segregation is pointless at this level. But I don't make that decision for my club, and as I've already acknowledged WFC has a small problem with a few overexcitable youths misbehaving. We're trying to sort it out, but until we can be sure that our fans are capable of behaving themselves, we enforce segregation for any club likely to bring a few fans. So you, Torquay and probably Dartford. It's not a reflection on you, it's our problem. But yes, as you climb the leagues, you should expect to be segregated more often and especially if you travel in numbers. I'm afraid that's modern football for you.

Well, you can add Torquay and Truro to that list. They segregate everyone, even if only 5 fans are expected to travel. You may also get segregated at Dartford if several hundred are planning on travelling but we haven't played them for a few years so they may have relaxed their policy since their spell in the NL.

By the way I've been to a couple of games at the New Bucks Head where we were segregated. I don't think we ever segregated Telford at Kingfield though, and the old Bucks Head was never segregated, but once they moved into their new ground I think they were a lot keener to keep fans apart.

They were in the NL recently, but only for a few seasons. They didn't allow you to remove drinks from their bar area hence we couldn't drink and watch the game, and their bar was perennially overcrowded because of this. We've not had the pleasure of the San Siro this season so it'll be interesting to see what they do now.

Pink Panther, editor and Nivag like this.
  23. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

Have to say nothing in this thread is persuading me that I was in any way wrong about Woking in my initial feelings on whether or not to go to the game. Glad I didn't give them a second chance.

Pink Panther and editor like this.
  24. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Cardinal, post: 15741537, member: 76649"

By the way I've been to a couple of games at the New Bucks Head where we were segregated. I don't think we ever segregated Telford at Kingfield though, and the old Bucks Head was never segregated, but once they moved into their new ground I think they were a lot keener to keep fans apart./QUOTE]

Totally agree with this. I'm not in Shropshire much these days but very rarely go there due to the whole match day experience. A friend of mine - an official club photographer - was banned from taking photos there as his club hadn't realised they had to notify his name to Telford in advance. He tried explain he was an official photographer but was threatened with eviction. They are the only club he ever had an issue with. I'm certainly not suggesting Woking copy Telford.

The old Bucks Head was a much nicer experience. They did use segregation there very occasionally btw, the famous 80's FA Cup games spring to mind however even the likes of the Stafford derby weren't segregated from memory. Bet it would be now, if Stafford bounce back. More's the pity.

25. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Surely the result..?

Most days it's the 90mins that ruin things, but it seems as if the result was the one decent thing about "the Woking experience"

26. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Personally speaking, I chose not to go to Woking. Believe me, a win makes my weekend whether I'm there or not. Just as a defeat ruins my week, whether I'm there or not.

clog and Pink Panther like this.
  27. Pink Panther

That's fair enough up to a point, I'm just surprised that our club gets lumped in with Aldershot when most others are not. We had professional security/stewarding at our own ground until we were evicted because the landlords had control of matchday operations and insisted upon it. There was never segregation, and generally speaking they were fine, but on the odd occasion staff who hadn't worked our ground before would turn up and were needlessly officious or apparently hadn't been properly briefed about the level of security required.

Not only do I agree, I think segregation actually encourages immature idiots to become verbally offensive. If 150 away supporters, including a large proportion of blokes in their 30s/40s/50s are moving around the ground and changing ends at half time the type of annoying gobby youths who like to mouth off are more likely to think twice about provoking someone bigger and older than they are. Segregation means they can mouth off at people from a safe distance without any danger of anyone having a go back.

One friend told me earlier this week that Woking stewards were "sniffing bottles of water". They were actually demanding that soft drinks bottles were opened for them to sniff the contents for alcohol. I don't take alcohol into matches anyway, but I'm ju7st not having that. I am not standing for being treated as a potential offender at a non-league football ground. I've reluctantly complied with being frisked at events attracting crowds in the tens of thousands, but again, if that ever happens at a non-league match I shall turn around and go home. Let's get one thing straight. Supporters do clubs a favour by turning up and paying to watch, it's not the club doing us a favour by taking our cash, and I expect to be treated accordingly.

The trouble with venues like Woking is that the result becomes all that matters, and I feel that makes the whole matchday experience somewhat shallow and unrewarding. I was gutted to lose at Bath and Welling, but everything else apart from the result was enjoyable and I'll look forward to visiting those clubs again. If you don't win at somewhere like Woking there's nothing else to take away from the trip.

clog, EDC, dcdulwich and 1 other person like this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Spot on. The actual football is only part of the fun for me. If every game was like Woking - where I'm segregated, surrounded by mob-handed surly security with no bar or food I could eat - I'd give up on away trips and visit random non league grounds where I feel welcome.

No doubt Woking fans will all sneer away on their forum but it really is their loss. Being proud of your club should include being proud of the way your visitors are treated.

clog, Nivag, dcdulwich and 1 other person like this.
  29. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

The security guys we had latterly at Champion Hill also used to sniff bottles and flasks if you tried to take them into the ground. Completely unnecessary, but to be honest I never had a major issue with it. I just thought it was all a bit silly.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  30. Cardinal

Cardinal New Member

The conditions of entry into our ground state that alcohol cannot be brought in by supporters. It might even be a condition of our safety certificate that this restriction is enforced, though I could be wrong on that. Perhaps this is just another clash of expectations between what your fans are used to in the Isthmian League and the realities of life at the higher echelons of non-league football. 'No brought in alcohol' has been our policy for more years than I care to remember because of the legal restrictions concerning alcohol at NL level and above. It doesn't stop me from taking bottles of water into Kingfield, but I'm never surprised (or offended) if one of the stewards wants to check it is genuinely water.

I've not yet been frisked at a non-league match but some of our younger fans were frisked at Wealdstone and Hemel. Admittedly they brought it on themselves by smuggling a smoke bomb into East Thurrock, but still. It happens. And if DHFC ever get to Wembley... well, I'd be surprised if you turned round and went home just because they search on entry to a non-league football match. Even for regular non-league matches there is still the odd 10,000+ crowd so don't rule out the possibility of higher levels of security just because it's a non-league game.

Be careful when making statements like that, they have a habit of coming back to bite you on the arse. The Isthmian league is not exactly overflowing with big clubs so you've not needed to segregate away fans for decades. If you win on Saturday there's a chance of hosting Leyton Orient in the 4QR. If you make it to Round 1, the likes of Pompey and Sunderland are waiting. It's easy to be proud of the way you treat visitors when 50 travelling fans turn up, it's another thing entirely when you need to cope with 1000+ away supporters who don't give a damn for the niceties of non-league football.

alcopop, blueheaven, EDC and 3 others like this.