Wireless audio question

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by lefteri, Jul 21, 2018.

1. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

I need a device that I can plug into the rca line ins on my amp that will receive wireless audio from my laptop (2011 MacBook Pro)

A few years ago I bought such a thing from maplin for about £40 but it didn’t work properly so I returned it. Is there something reliable and not stupidly expensive for this purpose?

2. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

We're a bit light on details here - what kind of "wireless audio" are you talking about here?

There are audio Bluetooth receivers that would do the job, for example - provided that your laptop is up to streaming audio over Bluetooth.

3. lefteri

I’m not bothered what kind of wireless audio it is as long as it works and sounds good - Bluetooth is quite poor quality, are there others that use WiFi?

4. existentialist

Depends on the codecs the Bluetooth is using. A decent bit of modern kit is, I would imagine, going to be as good as anything really needs to be.

Wifi music receivers are also available - just Google "<RF technology> music receiver" and you'll get plenty of whatever you're after. But the quality of the audio chain and codecs in that will be equally critical. My guess is that a £20 one will be less wonderful than a £150 one, but it'll be up to you what your own personal wonderfulness/price ratio is.

lefteri and a_chap like this.
  5. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I use a chromecast audio to do this from phones and computers. I don't have a mac, but a quick google suggests its possible.

lefteri and existentialist like this.
  6. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

lefteri, a_chap and existentialist like this.
  7. lefteri

Hmmm, seems like decent audio through Bluetooth means aptx which I don’t think my old Mac supports

The alternative is something like the Neet WiFi one but that seems to rely on airplay which from what I gather won’t be as simple as transmitting any audio my Mac happens to be playing

8. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

The Apple solution is to Airplay from your MacBook to an Airport Express that is wired to your amp:

Mac - AirPort Express

ETA - it's got an optical digital out so you could feed a DAC if you wanted better quality.

9. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

10. lefteri

Isn’t that iTunes only though? I hate iTunes with a passion

I ordered an arcam miniblink in the end after discovering that my Mac can handle aptx Bluetooth

11. skyscraper101

12. lefteri

13. skyscraper101

Was that pricey? They retail for almost £100 on Amazon!

14. lefteri

Yep, after the discussion above I didn’t want to take a chance on a cheap one

15. lefteri

I guess as it’s Bluetooth it’ll allow me to stream from phones which is quite handy

16. skyscraper101

I can't help but think you could've achieved all that for a lot less.

17. lefteri

Yeah cheers :p

18. existentialist

Never mind. At least you have the peace of mind of knowing that you've got a solid solution that should meet all your needs. That's hard to put a price tag on...

lefteri likes this.
  19. lefteri

Yeah I imagine the DAC in the arcam is an order of magnitude better than anything in an apple product as well

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.