Winter olympics 2018

Discussion in 'general sports' started by hash tag, Jan 11, 2018.

1. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

passenger likes this.
  2. TruXta

TruXta tired

It'll all happen in the middle of the night, and probably be broadcast on bloody Eurosport

3. souljacker

souljacker Those tapas loving FUCKS

Olympics is 'protected' I think. So should be on the BBC. They wouldn't be mentioning it as much as they are of it wasn't.

I'm looking forward to it. Loads of great events even if team GB (+NI) aren't expecting to do much. Particularly enjoy the downhill skiing and the hockey.

4. TruXta

TruXta tired

I used to love it and Norway usually does really well, but I can't be bothered anymore.

5. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

What new sports invented last week are featuring this year?

6. TruXta

TruXta tired

Combination of ski jumping and biathlon where you shoot the judges.

7. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Feel the rhythm, feel the vibe...

8. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

9. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're talking about the long-track stuff. I like the short-track races, with so much potential for a complete wipe-out.

10. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Why do they turn into a big Guinness poo at 1m 17 secs?

ska invita likes this.
  11. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    May Kasahara likes this.
  12. TruXta

TruXta tired

Curling is where it's at.

quimcunx likes this.
  13. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I hear there are two very contentious issues with two of the curling matches. Something to do with illegal moving of match winning stones?

14. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

I like the luge and bobsleigh stuff. Snowboarding and ski jump too :cool:

Healthy dose of geopolitical intrigue going on too I imagine

15. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I like the 'going at hundreds of miles an hour while lying flat on nothing more than a tea tray' ones. It looks so ridiculously dangerous, I can't help admire the sheer lunacy of those involved.

How do you even decide it's a good idea to give it a go once, never mind repeatedly..?

twentythreedom likes this.
  16. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

What's that amazing ski pursuit event on the really windy/bumpy/vertiginous course that they introduced in the last WO? Thrills and spills aplenty - particularly loved the way thr bloke/woman In last place could suddenly come rocketing through due to a fall or collision in the front pack. More potential leaders than a Tory Death Spiral :cool:

17. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

As we cross into day 2, I really loved the cross country skiing this morning and would have loved to have had a go. The lung busting efforts in freezing cold but very clean air in a beautiful landscape.
    also a little silly, what with the enforced pit stop half way round. :thumbs:

18. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

I know I'm old and not up to date with odd sports but when did they stick tracks on the Ski jump passed me by completely.

ska invita, RubyToogood and hash tag like this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The technology is well up there. 7 wind speed indicators in the landing area!

20. twentythreedom

Yeah I noticed that too - seems a bit shit to me

Matti Nuekonnen (spelt wrong) is where I got interested. No metal tracks then

ska invita likes this.
  21. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

North Koreans getting behind their team

ddraig likes this.
  22. twentythreedom

Some excellent ski jumping on BBC4 atm :cool:

23. ska invita

Caught up on the team ice skating from day 1....bit of a mixed bag, Russians really stood out to me. Sorry Atheltes formerly known as Russians. They put on some proper classical music, wear some properly spangly costumes and dance in a proper old skool ice skating style. Also like a young EMOish Chinese lad...
    Theyll all be back to compete on their own next week supposedly

Theyve got a new amazing camera effect which creates traces on the dancers...pretty incredible.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    May Kasahara likes this.
  24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The problem with that is it is dancing. On ice. Is it really a sport?

25. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

It’s like having ballroom dancing in the summer Olympics!

hash tag likes this.
  26. ska invita

27. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Enjoying the WO, have watched loads whilst with non sleeping kids. Luge (apparently very safe really, according to my mother ... Although one did die in the qualifiers for the 2010 WO's so not that safe then :hmm: ) still baffles me, ice dancing is boring now and curling didn't amuse the 4yo ... So snowboarding has been keeping us entertained.

Not enjoying not being able to find easily available stuff online. The BBC coverage is really hard to navigate.

28. souljacker

souljacker Those tapas loving FUCKS

For the last summer olympics, you could go to the schedule and select any event that was on or had been on and watch it. It was really really good so why they've not done this for these games is a mystery. I wanted to watch the slopestyle but had to make do with a 3 min highlight reel.

29. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

this is exactly it!

I managed to watch the slopestyle qualifiers straight through but the finals I couldn't find anywhere, just the final run for each rider.

I was starting to think I'd imagined looking at the schedule, choosing a sport and watching it.

souljacker and RubyToogood like this.
  30. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I've been trying to watch stuff on line at work. Navigation is awkward and is different between bbc/sport and bbc/tv.
    claire balding was discussing the moguls with someone this morning. She asked Something like are those moguls natural? :facepalm:

RubyToogood likes this.