Wingate & Finchley vs. Dulwich Hamlet (FA Trophy), Saturday 15th Dec. 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Cyclodunc, Dec 12, 2018.

1. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

I just think, as a principle, judging anyone on a 3 month, 10-15 game sample is highly problematic. Give people time to settle in and adjust and see what they can do.

(The exception is Roy Hodgson of course. He can fuck off from any situation immediately, no audition necessary).

Obviously, some of the guys being called for here are older hands. But, it's a new league. Give them time. We were pretty near top of the form table a few weeks back. Just as back then we weren't saying "we're going to win the league, three year deals for everyone" , we shouldn't be bombing everyone out now "because we're going down". (Even if it was practically possible to do so, which it isn't...)

[Edited to add some crucial speech marks!]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    pettyboy, Poids and Pink Panther like this.
  2. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

Yup, certainly did

Harry Smiles likes this.
  3. Harry Smiles

Harry Smiles Well-Known Member

Ah good, I don't leave 2 mins from it any more, but I've a lot of time for Senan, the landlord, so pleased you guys went

4. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

What's the time played to goals scored ratio?

I'm guessing Vose is the only one that's had as much playing time as Nyren.

Not that I'm suggesting Nyren should be dropped. To me he's seemed a bit off form the last few games but not enough to think it's anything permanent. Almost like he's recovering from a injury.

5. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

No idea, but I suspect those other players have spent a greater combined total of time on the field, and I clearly stated that Nyren has scored more goals than all of them put together, not just the one with the next highest tally. I prefer a player who scores a few, misses a few too many, but always gets involved and has done consistently for many seasons, to a technically more accomplished playerwho delivers little end product. If you expect loyalty from the players you'd like to keep you need to show loyalty in return otherwise you're just entering a mini-Premier League environment, and the best thing about football at our level is that it's not like the Premier League .

The bottom line is that the manager picks some players more often than others, which tells me his preferences. I've often felt that Carew, and more recently Tomlin, have been picked to start more often than they should but that doesn't mean I don't see the value of having them as squad members. I trust the manager, who has always achieved a tangible level of improvement every season for nine years, so even when I'm a bit baffled by what he's doing I cut him some slack before complaining that he's got it all wrong.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  6. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Just for the record, I'm not saying he's got it all wrong. In fact, having just watched the W&F interview I think what I'm largely saying is similar to what Gavin is! I think the only points we'd disagree on is the players that I think should be booted. Not attempting to start open season on Gav!

7. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I just watched the interview too, interesting there were two players giving their thoughts as well.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  8. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

The phrase "got it all wrong" was really just a figure of speech. However the four players you suggested should be shown the door included the two longest serving, with a combined total of 650+ appearances and 170+ goals, and the two most experienced ex-pros with around 250 Football League appearances each. That's a bit more than fine tuning, that's more or less expecting the manager to rip up his strategy for the entire season and start from scratch halfway through, which would be a massive gamble even if all those players agreed to cancel their contracts and the return to Champion Hill allowed us to put some extra funds into the playing budget. As I see it, we're a mid-table side stuck in a rut and there's no need for anything so drastic. We need a couple of players to be the catalyst to turn it around, not wholesale changes. Six weeks ago the same group had us near the top of the current form table.

I listened to the Gavin interview from Wingate & Finchley. He's made similar noises after other matches this season. The difference is that he normally references individuals making poor decisions or not adhering to the agreed game plan whereas this time he questioned the attitude and commitment of some, without naming any names.

I thought we looked bereft of leadership on Saturday without Okuonghae, Chambers and Vose so the last thing I would do right now is to cast off four of the most experienced players.

scousedom and pompeydunc like this.
  9. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Two million views

Lyham likes this.